Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask
RE: ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask
I used the F30 and actually loved the way it sealed.  The problem I have is that it caused a major sore in the area where my nose and upper lip meet.  I tried using Aquaphor (for skin irritation) and even a small band aid but the problem persisted.  I have been using other masks for the last week or so (F10 and F20) but am going to try again with the F30 once I heal up.  It is the only mask that I have ever used that does not leak.  I suspect that the irritation is being caused due to the fact that I have to pull the nasal pad area very tight to get a seal.  As I said, once I heal I am going to try again and will report back, but I loved the way the mask worked.  Will let you know.  Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I have dealt with the same 'too tight' problem with the F-30. I agree with you about how well it seals and it has become the only mask I can use, but it can be a cantankerous puppy. Thinking-about

FOR ME I discovered it actually works best when very loose (strangely) and the hose run up OVER the headboard (about 6-8 inches above the mask) so it comes down from the top of the mask. The slight hose dangle keeps the top sealed.  Before, I tried the F-30 with the hose coming from the bottom or from the side for a long time and had excessive leakage as the hose apparently had the opposite effect from the bottom and made the seal leak at the top.  Finally found the top approach allowed for the upper straps to be only lightly tightened and this greatly helped the nose irritation (and I have a big nose). This all serves the purpose of keeping the nose area wedged down against your face.
I might also add that using a collar that keeps my mouth closed is used for my purposes, and that the same upper-approach procedure noted above requires more tension on the straps without it AND more leakage is noted.
Hope this helps..

PS: The F-30 seals last a Looong time..
ALSO berkshire: I run 24-25 in of pressure also and this obviously creates more leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to say, I sleep on my back- what I described won't work the same for side sleepers- SORRY! Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the review.  I am in the process of trying a whole bunch of masks.  I tried the F30 Full Face Mask and actually loved it.  I was able to get a better seal with this mask than any other that I have tried (and I have tried a LOT!).  I was able to get through an entire night without any leaks (myAir and OSCAR reports).  I am both a side-sleeper and back-sleeper and had no trouble keeping the mask in place.

My major problem with the mask is that after just two nights of use, I developed a nasty sore right at the point where my nose meets my upper lip (right in the middle).  The mask left a red mark (no problem) but there was a really sensitive sore spot under the skin.  I tried to use the mask for a third night with no success.  I applied Aquafor as well as a small band-aid (for a cushion).  The pain was such that I could not wear the mask.  

I have tried testing the mask thinking that I might be overtightening it (a problem with a lot of the masks I know, I know.....), but if I loosen the straps at all, I get really bad leaks.  I have put the mask aside until the sore clears up (I am now getting a small pimple-like bump on the top of the skin - a week out).  I am going to try again once I am able to using some sort of home-made padding for that part of my nose/upper lip.

I liked the mask so much, that I sent ResMed a note telling them about the issue hoping that they might have a suggestion.  Nothing back from them.  I saw a review on YouTube by a DME provider who had the same issue and was begging ResMed to apply the same type of memory foam cushion to the F30 that is found on the ResMed AirTouch F20 which I am using now.  One can hope.......

Just as an aside - I am not a rookie "hose head".  I have been on CPAP therapy for over 12 years.  I recently had my pressure dramatically increased (25 Max) and have been struggling to find a mask that will handle the pressure and still be comfortable.  I guess that is the never ending quest isn't it?  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2021, 02:37 PM)berkshire17 Wrote: Thank you for the review.  I am in the process of trying a whole bunch of masks.  I tried the F30 Full Face Mask and actually loved it.  I was able to get a better seal with this mask than any other that I have tried (and I have tried a LOT!).  I was able to get through an entire night without any leaks (myAir and OSCAR reports).  I am both a side-sleeper and back-sleeper and had no trouble keeping the mask in place.

My major problem with the mask is that after just two nights of use, I developed a nasty sore right at the point where my nose meets my upper lip (right in the middle).  The mask left a red mark (no problem) but there was a really sensitive sore spot under the skin.  I tried to use the mask for a third night with no success.  I applied Aquafor as well as a small band-aid (for a cushion).  The pain was such that I could not wear the mask.  

I have tried testing the mask thinking that I might be overtightening it (a problem with a lot of the masks I know, I know.....), but if I loosen the straps at all, I get really bad leaks.  I have put the mask aside until the sore clears up (I am now getting a small pimple-like bump on the top of the skin - a week out).  I am going to try again once I am able to using some sort of home-made padding for that part of my nose/upper lip.

I liked the mask so much, that I sent ResMed a note telling them about the issue hoping that they might have a suggestion.  Nothing back from them.  I saw a review on YouTube by a DME provider who had the same issue and was begging ResMed to apply the same type of memory foam cushion to the F30 that is found on the ResMed AirTouch F20 which I am using now.  One can hope.......

Just as an aside - I am not a rookie "hose head".  I have been on CPAP therapy for over 12 years.  I recently had my pressure dramatically increased (25 Max) and have been struggling to find a mask that will handle the pressure and still be comfortable.  I guess that is the never ending quest isn't it?  Smile

The irritation you described I have experienced from the F30 FF mask. I bagged it and went back to my old FF mask until "red nose" everyday drove me back again to the F30.  That is exactly 'why' I arrived at the machination described in my post, the loose strap fit is compensated for by the supported collar and the 'hang' of the hose.  I have had no major irritation since adopting the screwy combination and for me anyway stand by it.  By the way, good luck with the memory foam- in my quest for a better mousetrap it did not work out for me.
zzzZorro
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started trying the F30 mask after a long term use of the F20.  I started having a lot of trouble with skin abrasions on the bridge of my nose using the F20.  I tried gel pads, adhesive tape, etc.  Nothing worked.

The F30 is very comfortable and I don't have the bridge of my nose irritations anymore.  My only problem is leakage.  Have a high rate of leakage.  But my events are still in the low range ie between 1-2 per hour.  

I am to the point of just living with the high leakage.  I really do not know what to do to get it lower and still retain confort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2021, 09:56 AM)jerrydaw Wrote: I just started trying the F30 mask after a long term use of the F20.  I started having a lot of trouble with skin abrasions on the bridge of my nose using the F20.  I tried gel pads, adhesive tape, etc.  Nothing worked.

The F30 is very comfortable and I don't have the bridge of my nose irritations anymore.  My only problem is leakage.  Have a high rate of leakage.  But my events are still in the low range ie between 1-2 per hour.  

I am to the point of just living with the high leakage.  I really do not know what to do to get it lower and still retain confort.

Jeez.. Pressure of 8 is three time less than mine (24).  Seems that should be a piece of cake to leak-stop.
Did you try the (seemingly worthless) procedure VELPEAU Neck Brace in Product Review?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just this week gave the F30 Full Face Mask another try.  My first attempt was several weeks ago.  After wearing it for just one night, I developed a major pressure sore (under the skin - similar to a bruise) on my upper lip just below my nose.  I tried to wear it again the next two nights using a small band aid over the spot, but it was so uncomfortable that I had to take it off.  I was really disappointed because I like the mask and was able to get a great seal with it.  I admit that I had to tighten it significantly to get that seal.  After letting the sore spot completely heal (which took a significant amount of time), I gave the mask another try a few nights ago.  I tried working the straps so there was not so much pressure being applied just below my nose, but when doing so I experienced significant leaks.  I tightened them up enough to pass the Resmed mask fitting application and gave it a shot.  I had to remove the mask after a couple of hours because it was so uncomfortable and got back into my Resmed AirTouch F20 (with its own challenges).

I liked the size of the F30 so much that I recently ordered the Resmed Mirage Liberty Full Face Mask (due tomorrow).  I am hoping that the inclusion of the nasal pillows will eliminate the need to tighten the mask as much as I had to on the F30.  I should note that I did not experience a problem sleeping on my side with the F30 (I have seen a number of complaints about that on this forum).  I am really hoping that the Mirage Liberty work for me and will let you know.

I am really envious of the folks that are able to make the F30 work.  Good for you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this mask for almost 9 months now. I like this style of mask, as I am a mouth breather due to septal deviation and vestibular stenosis on my nose, but thanks to the nasal part only touching the nostrils and not covering the whole nose, I can breath with my nose due to the air pressure pushing my nostrils open. I try to get a firm pressure on the lower straps, as my mouth tends to drop when I start sleeping, so that prevents air leaks from there. I also use a neck collar, which helps with that. I leave the middle 2 straps somewhat looser, because I can't breath well if they are too thight. This, however causes leaks and I used to wake up in the middle of the night due to leaks or I could feel some air currents hitting my eyes. The solution that I have found is to rotate the hose, so that it goes over my head, and I use the 5th strap, the one that goes on top of your head, to keep the hose in place. This way, even the the middle 2 straps aren't very thight, there are no leaks on the nasal part, as the hose cannot pull it down in that position, and also pushes it slightly towards my nose (I don't apply a lot of traction on the hose, just a slight push towards the nose).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 10 1,479 Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Last Post: mug3n
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 25,251 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,330 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,475 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,452 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,464 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,931 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.