Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i
RE: ResMed AirFit N30i
(11-21-2018, 02:49 PM)snorybob Wrote: Does anyone have comments on the Air Fit N30i regarding leaks if you're a permanent side sleeper?  Thinking-about

I'd hate to spend $120.can.& then put it on a shelve!

Bag-head   snorybob.
I frequently sleep on my side; leaks reported by SleepyHead are under 24 l. But, I think most of that is from opening my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
For general questions regarding a mask, please use the Main Forum. This is the Reviews Forum where users of a product give their opinion on how the mask did or did not work for them.

Not everyone reads this section and a question asked here (instead of the Main Forum) will not benefit as many people as it should.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to try this new ResMed nasal device when I ordered by DreamStation Go.

I've been using (successfully) the P10 system without any major issues.  I had switched to the P10 after a previous nasal system had too much air exhaust from the front.  

I spent quite a time experimenting with the new N30i to get the fit correct, along with using the correct nose pads.  I did find the N30i more secure.  I occasionally have issues with the P10 back strap sliding into an incorrect location.

I don't think I have the adjustable strap correct yet - I'll continue to experiment with it.

I never have any leak problems with the P10, and had none with this either.  I didn't notice any noise issues.

I'm not sure I like the hose connection on top of my head, and I'll have to live with it a while.  And the standard hose now isn't quite as long without the added length that comes with the P10 (and other mask systems).
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Man, Holden4th, all - thank you for your candid and complete comments on the N30i.  I've been a Dreamwear user for over a year, and I have been mostly happy with it, IF I use a long shoelace under my chin to keep the backstrap from riding up during the night thus sending my leak-rate through the roof.  

I'm interested in the N30i, but one question is:  does the hard-plastic on the nose piece tend to push the cushion off of your nose when you turn on your side?  I'm mostly a side sleeper and the Dreamwear works very well for me, partially because the soft nose cushion reshapes a bit when the side of my face is on the pillow.  Have you any observations on this?  

BTW, thank you greatly for the side-by-side photos.  Very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I mainly sleep on my back, but sometimes will reposition and end up on my side. I have not noticed any repositioning of the cushion when I am on my side. I find the N30i much more stable in terms of staying in position. The DreamWear , for me, seemed much more likely to shift and leak. I almost always have a zero leak rate with the N30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the N30i for a week, and have had mixed results.  A little background:  I started with the dreamwear and moved to the p10s.  I am a side sleeper and use a ruby-style chin strap.  

I find the frame sturdier and more comfortable than the dreamwear, however, it’s noticeably bulkier.  The bulkiness is made worse by the chinstrap and I felt incredibly claustrophobic when I lay down to go to bed on the first few nights.  That said - I have not had any issues falling asleep, and it has gotten less intrusive to wear.

The N30i is loud.  Coming from the p10, it’s like having a miniature fan in my face (sound wise).  It’s not patently louder than the dreamwear, but if you are coming from the p10, it’s a bit of a shock (particularly to your partner!). 

The nasal cushion is eons better than the dreamwear for me.  It seals better and holds tight regardless of whether I am on my side or my back.  In every other mask, I have started with a M cushion or nasal prong, and migrated to the L.  With the N30i I actually went to the S and found it fit better without loss of airflow.  The fit guide that comes with the N30i seemed to be more of a suggestion, and I found I needed to try them all to get the best fit.  

In the end, my sleep quality and results have been mixed:  

Sleep duration has largely been unchanged, but I find the noise and airflow to be distracting, and I wake up 1-2x more often per night with the N30i.  AHI is approximately double @ 0.9-1.4 (up from 0.2-0.8) and was comparable to the dreamwear for me.   That said, it’s a very comfortable mask and cushion and it seals very well.

I will probably go back to the p10 because the N30i is just too bulky and doesn’t seem to provide me with any additional benefit over the p10s.   To be fair, I will give them one more week, and if anything changes I’ll update accordingly.  

My 2c - as always: ymmv.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2019, 08:52 PM)BAZZA Wrote: Coffee Man, Holden4th, all - thank you for your candid and complete comments on the N30i.  I've been a Dreamwear user for over a year, and I have been mostly happy with it, IF I use a long shoelace under my chin to keep the backstrap from riding up during the night thus sending my leak-rate through the roof.  

I'm interested in the N30i, but one question is:  does the hard-plastic on the nose piece tend to push the cushion off of your nose when you turn on your side?  I'm mostly a side sleeper and the Dreamwear works very well for me, partially because the soft nose cushion reshapes a bit when the side of my face is on the pillow.  Have you any observations on this?  

BTW, thank you greatly for the side-by-side photos.  Very helpful.

I usually sleep on my side and find the Airfit N30i to be better than the P10. I also toss and turn a lot and the hose attachment on top works great. As other have noted it is important to get the N30i properly fitted. You can't use the sizing from previous masks, If you do you will be disappointed.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I have recently purchased this mask. It is very comfortable but I am having a heck of a time using it. I bought the small frame and am using the small cushion/pillow. I have massive leaks although I have had worse leaks with other masks and not experienced the 3 fold increase in AHI I am getting with this.  I am bummed I want to make it work due to the comfort and the location of the hose. I feel like the cushion and pillow may just be too big for me, but also if I lay on my side this p30i pillow has no rigidity, and the cushion seems to slip and I feel like my nostrils are pushing up against silicone. Common sense suggest to me that when I lay on my side, the pillow collapses, and the cushion shifts, in both cases the air moves out the side rather than into my nostrils. I also use the swift fx, xs pillow, I do pretty well with that. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Cynthia
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like you have some experimentation ahead with mask adjustment, cushions and nasal pillows. it's also worth trying different bed pillows. for me, a buckwheat pillow works well with my nasal pillow mask. it is infinitely adjustable so it conforms well with minimal squishing of cheeks and mask frame. in addition, it's easy to plant your face at the 'edge' of the pillow, hanging the mask over the side. it's one of those things that vary from person to person in terms of effectiveness and comfort. the nice thing about the buckwheat pillow is can be both firm (!) and malleable.
Post Reply Post Reply
There seems to be a lot of ResMed machines owners in this tread. I am just wondering if setting the mask type to pillows will make a difference in AHI and leak rates. Perhaps you have already have that set. If not, update your review accordingly. I would love to hear your results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,713 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,310 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,165 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,239 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,188 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,029 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,836 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.