Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i
RE: ResMed AirFit N30i
I have used pillow, nasal, and full face setting with this mask on the Airsense 10 Autoset. I see no difference in leak rate or AHI between the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Recent N30i owner.  I am coming from a ResMed F30 and a DreamWear Nasal Cushion; so, I will make references to those quite a bit.

I had a lot of success with the F30, but the hose got the best of me.  Leak free and a great mask otherwise.  If it was not for the hose, this probably would have been "my" mask.

My wife had a DreamWear full face, so I thought I would give the DreamWear a shot.  Long story short ended up with a DreamWear Nasal Cushion.  I REALLY like the DreamWear; however, something about the nasal cushion that irritated the spot between my nostrils and upper lip.  I did try the DreamWear Nasal Gel Pillow for two nights, but that hurt my nostrils.

I am a SUPER fan of the top of the head connection though and felt I had better sleep with that style and thus my journey to the N30i.

I have a Medium N30i cushion with a Standard frame.

1.  Coming from an F30, the medium N30i nasal holes in size are actually between the F30 medium and the F30 small.  
2.  The height of the medium N30i is not as high as the medium F30; hence, the F30 for me, would venture up level to the top of my nose where the N30i ends up sitting just below the tip of my nose.
3.  The V or U shape of the medium N30i is definitely narrower and smaller versus the medium F30.
4.  The division between the nostril openings on the medium N30i is narrower the the medium F30.

According to the sizing charts between the F30 and N30i, the Medium and Small between the two should be pretty much spot on.  The N30i is definitely a smaller medium.  Hence if you are coming from an F30 and you size up to a medium on the F30 keep in mind that the medium N30i is slightly smaller. If a medium F30 is leaning towards a tight fit on you, a medium N30i may be too small.

The small F30 would pinch my nostrils too tight.  The medium F30 I would liken to a pair of pants that you put on and have nice comfortable fit, maybe every so slightly loose, but nothing a belt with very light tension could not correct if needed.  The medium N30i for me is a pair of pants with a almost snug fit, not tight or pinching or restricting, just ever so slightly snug.

The standard N30i frame for me is almost loose and I do not have to use the accordion features of the frame at all.  According to the sizing videos from ResMed, the standard frame is definitely the right size for my noggin.  The N30i standard frame is slightly heavier than the medium Dreamwear frame.  With the DreamWear, if I completely closed off one side I could definitely feel the restriction.  I do not feel that near as much with the N30i standard.

I liked using the covers on the frame for the DreamWear so the built in covers with the N30i frame are a bonus for me.

The top connector on the N30i does not swivel as freely as the DreamWear, but it is not like I noticed it when I was sleeping.  It obviously seemed to turn as needed.  Oh, and for those of you, like me, who thought that the top connector on the N30i is simply the QuiertAir elbow - uh no - it is different.  The air from the top connector simply directs the air straight up.

The nice thing with full face masks is that they are easy to clean.  Same with the DreamWear Nasal Cushion really.  With its open slit, you could easily wash the inside of it.  The N30i with its nostril holes and hard outer shell needs a bit more thought, creativity and time.

I have heard reviews of the hard frame digging in on one's face with the N30i.  It has only been a few nights, but I have not experienced that.  As I turn from side to side the medium N30i for me keeps its seal, even if it does get pushed to one side from my pillow.

AHI values have been slightly lower with the N30i.  The jury is still out on this though.  I could just be having a few good nights.

For me, this mask is a keeper and unless I start noticing some sort of irritation in the next few days, this will be my new go to mask.

Hopefully my comparisons give folks some context and you can keep it all straight  Smile  Being a new CPAP user, the frustrating thing with masks is that they are soooo personal.  What works amazing for one individual may be a disaster for another.  Good luck folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my N30i nasal mask today via Apria so I can't add to the review yet. I'll revisit this in a day or so and post some more then. Mine came with 3 cushions in S M and SW. I'm going to add images of the package if I can get it to work (seems like it did).

PS I'm going from full face to nasal here FWIW
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the N30i for a bit with the Medium cushion, I'm still struggling a bit with mouth breathing, but that's besides the point here.

When I do use the N30i, it's very comfortable, and I believe easy to adjust and control leaks at the cushion. I also like the top of the head elbow connection that limits the hose pulling the mask out of place. The mask is very light in weight too.

Dislikes:
I think the venting is fairly quiet, but to me, it seems to be less quiet than I had expected. It isn't a real issue to me, but if you're one that noise disturbs you easily, take note.

I give it 5 regardless. The likes cancel out the slight bit of noise.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are there any recent improvements with the Airfit N30i?

A year ago, I tried it and the side channels had squashed almost as badly, when sleeping on either side, as the Dreamwear cushion mask.  The N30i was marginally stronger but not enough to prevent me from waking up.

Of course, the DME insists that they're both supposed to compensate on the other side channel, but she's not the one who's dealing with it.

I've loved the "ResMed Swift LT for Her" for the last 11 years,  Yet am hoping that one of these "top of head hose" cushion mask makers would get their act together.   I'm so concerned that ResMed will stop making my favorite.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that the “Dreamwear Headgear With Arms” will work with the Resmed P30i/N30i and is an improvement over Resmed’s head strap. It’s on my list to try.

Speaking of the P30i, the P30i cushion fits the N30i frame. I think the P30i is quieter.

I’m a big guy, and I have a big Roman nose. I use the large P30i, and would use XL if they offered it. I use medium for the N30i and would probably use large if they offered that. According to their sizing guide, I should use the Standard size frame. Going back and forth between Standard and Small though, I think I prefer the Small frame.

The frame size affects both the proximity of the tubes to your ears and what part of your skull is pressing on the tube. I can’t predict which would be better for you, only that you may find them different.

Btw, I usually prefer the P30i, but sometimes I still use N30i if the P30i is not cooperating that night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Dreamwear pillow mask and the nose cradle ones. The pillow ones where something goes in your nose was not comfortable for me but the one where there is just a cradle under your nose was a hit.

The only issues that I had with it :

1. it was loud and I had to sleep with ear plugs which was just another annoying thing to do when I was already sleeping badly
2. when I turned around with it I kept moving it and very often started getting slight leaks into my eyes which my machine wasnt even registering.
3. to avoid leaks I had to strap it fairly tightly, which was a problem because I had 2 nose surgeries in the recent years and I would wake up with my nose in pain. If it was looser then it would leak.

Last week I switched to a Airfit n30i. The headgear is different I think I lucked out because it fits my face perfectly, I barely even have to make it tighter and it just fits.
It is definitely slightly less loud. Its not a big difference but for some reason I find the sound less annoying and I can sleep without ear plugs.

The biggest thing is that the nose cradle is more curved and goes into a more U-like position. This helps when I toss and turn, the cradle doesnt leak at all.

I am super happy with it and yesterday was the first night I managed to go through the full night without taking off the mask. I kept waking up but the mask itself didnt bother me at all. I think this one will be a keeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife and I both now use the Dreamwear Headgear With Arms on our Resmed P30i/N30i masks. It works great!
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a large noggin, thus the head frame is too tight in the temples. Since it pulls upward, very effective in keeping the cushion in place, but I wake up with temple muscle pain.

Other than that, I had a great night in terms of numbers. OSCAR data looked great! Also, the air flow seems lighter than the normal N30, which was too much air flow that I couldn't sleep.

I went with Dreamwear because they make L frame size. Don't know why Resmed doesn't provide a L if there is a standad?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've purchased an N30i and tried it. Finally works.

N30i
put the ResMed strap on
Added the Respironics offset strap from the Dreamwear. Fits easily

Using both those straps on! ResMed above/Respironics offset strap below.

Taped.
Soft cervical collar.

Works well for me.

Background----I had 3 or 4 Dreamwear masks way back. I found that the old velcro strap on the back didn't work fore me... the Dreamwear slid worse and worse as my bald spot got bigger.

Now---bald spot is bigger; this change works well for me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,691 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,301 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,155 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,224 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,151 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,007 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,820 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.