Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
I share your experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2016, 08:59 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Nice review. And congrats on your successful therapy!

Thanks Diane! Coffee

Thank you SuperSleeper - this forum has been a blessing - my total gratitude to all who post here to help people understand Sleep Apnea in all its forms and give support I-love-Apnea-Board

(01-16-2016, 09:33 PM)Farther Wrote: I share your experience.
thank you Farther! Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my first CPAP machine, and as I need to be on CPAP I thought I may as well get the latest and best available. I have had a noisy machine since day one and it echos my inhale /exhale loudly. It was sent back under warranty and I was told that it had been "recalibrated" , however I was skeptical, and Darth Vader soon made a return. I too had a machine that liked to stay up near my maximum pressure setting for too long at times.Oh-jeez I believe I just had a lemon and I have just picked up a brand new replacement. I will see how it goes and report back.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
My replacement Airsense 10 was also returned for repair, and Resmed found a defective internal seal that allowed pressure to escape. This may have been making the drone noise and making the machine operate up near the maximum set pressure. After I have tested the fix I will report back. I have been using a Philips Remstar 60 Series Auto A Flex for the past week with no issues at all.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
James, no update?

My Airsense 10 is a dud. I may be forced to get the Respironics Dreamstation if this issue is chronic.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a couple of years use of a Fischer & Paykel Premo fixed pressure machine, I recently upgraded to using the ResMed S9 Auto CPAP with humidifier and heated tubing, which I had bought second hand from one of the suppliers listed on this forum. To my eye it looked like a brand new machine. It also works really well in my caravan which has 12 volt power supply (separate vehicle type adaptor/transformer required for that application).

I did this after reading many members problems with the AirSense 10 AutoSet.

I could not be happier with this machine. I note that the same supplier has been recently selling this device very cheaply (new) and would not hesitate to recommend it even though it is now an older design. Works for me.....

Happy days
PJ. BigwinkOkay
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2016, 04:41 AM)pjfollyfarm Wrote: After a couple of years use of a Fischer & Paykel Premo fixed pressure machine, I recently upgraded to using the ResMed S9 Auto CPAP with humidifier and heated tubing, which I had bought second hand from one of the suppliers listed on this forum. To my eye it looked like a brand new machine. It also works really well in my caravan which has 12 volt power supply (separate vehicle type adaptor/transformer required for that application).

I did this after reading many members problems with the AirSense 10 AutoSet.

I could not be happier with this machine. I note that the same supplier has been recently selling this device very cheaply (new) and would not hesitate to recommend it even though it is now an older design. Works for me.....

Happy days
PJ. BigwinkOkay

Thanks for your input mate
old82
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my AirSense 10 AutoSet happily since February, after some initial problems as I posted earlier. No problems at all since Resmed repaired it. It does all it should and is quiet. So I am happy camper now, well as happy as you could be on CPAP. Rolleyes

Thanks
James
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my AirSense For HER for a year and am very happy with it overall. I recently got an S9 auto as a backup, so can actually compare a little with the older model. I'll follow the original poster's format. The For Her Model has 3 algorithms - cpap, apap and For Her. The For Her is less aggressive - responds to breathing issues quickly, but does not raise the pressure so fast and slower to reduce pressure after responding. I found that my events reduced quite a bit. While I am a woman and what the design is made to address, at least one man here on the board uses it and finds it more effective than the standard apap mode. Originally, this was the only machine that included RERA data, but I hear that a software upgrade now makes that data available on standard Airsense models.

The first machine I received did not record any results the first night, so they swapped out for a replacement. Recently, I had some recording issues and it turns out that my SD card corrupted, so my DME replaced that.

Therapy Results
I'm getting great therapy. Nearly always below 1. The pressure does rise fairly quickly in response to your disturbed breathing. After a rise, it lowers SLOWLY. This SEEMED to be waking me. Once I changed the EPR to 2 from 3, it didn't wake me any longer. So don't be afraid to make adjustments that seem kindof kooky.

Noise
I find that both the S9 and the Airsense for Her are SILENT. The only sound I hear is from the mask. If your machine isn't silent, then I would investigate further. Also, keep in mind that sometimes a machine is damaged in shipping. Don't settle for one that doesn't work properly.

Integrated Humidifier & Heated Hose
Totally love the heated hose, but I have to have a different model hose for each machine (the filters are interchangeable). The hose is very light and extremely flexible. Causes very little hose noise even when rubbing against something. Very effective for rainout. I like that I can angle the hose depending on what side of the bed I'm on (varies when I travel). Right now, I'm using the Resmed Slimline hose. While the hose is flexible, it has to bend because the angle feature only works with the heated hose, so I move the machine so that the hose is not bending. Since the start/stop button is on the top, this doesn't actually affect use. It does affect your ability to see your data on the screen. I am thinking of buying an elbow for use with the Slimline.

I find the humidifier much easier to empty and refill than on the S9. I have vision problems, so this may just be my issue. The manual indicates that the bin has a lifespan of 2.5 years. If you are clumsy (arthritis, can't see) you will feel especially fumbly with this humidifier bin while emptying and refilling until you get used to it (it is hinged). Otherwise, it goes in and is taken out with extreme ease. If you don't want to use humidity, you can buy a side piece for about $20 that allows the machine to operate without the humidifier present. Otherwise, the machine cannot operate without the humidifier, so you need to always have water in it when operating.

Layout & Size

Airsense for Her takes up less space on my tiny night table than the S9. The slant and smaller top prevents the cat from turning my machine off in the middle of the night (it restarts with Autostart but it was a real puzzle looking at SH as to why the S9 machine kept stopping). As the OP noted, if your machine is below bed height, this angle is actually harder to see the info than on the S9.

The smaller and lighter size actually causes one problem - it's easier to pull the Airsense off the night table than the S9. My Airsense has fallen to the floor (carpeted) 3 times and fortunately, it falls humidifier first so water doesn't get in machine (design feature?). I have since added some stretch elastic and one of those 3M hooks to my night table to prevent this from happening again. A hose tamer will also prevent this problem. You can also get those sticky or rubber feet to attach to the bottom. Before the 3M hooks, I used those rubbery shelf-liners - worked great, but my cats kept chewing on them (dumb things).

Travel Case

The case is GREAT. It includes diagrams so that you know where everything goes (kindof a reminder to remember all the parts as well). If your mask does not fit in the mask section (large full face masks for example), there is an outer pleated zippered pocket for it. The case is well padded and uses heavy duty zippers that glide very nicely. This travel case is INCLUDED with all new machines.

What I don't like
I don't like the light. For reasons unknown, sometimes when I press it, I only get half the light and then can't read the screen. I'm sure this is operator error, but after a year, I haven't figured it out and there isn't any help in either patient or clinician's manual!

My patient manual does not state that AutoStart DOES NOT WORK if pressure is less than 7. However, it does state that in the clinician's manual. This is an issue for you if you use low pressure or the ramp feature. AutoStart and Auto Shutoff may not work if you use hoses by another manufacturer. For instance, the Dreamwear nasal mask turns AutoStart on, but Auto Shutoff does not appear to work. Remember to change the settings on the machine to match your mask and hose types.

Modem: The modem feature has caused some consternation for some people. Once a day, if it can get a signal, it uploads your minimal daily info (ahi, hours of use, leak rate) via cell phone. It can also download software upgrades. Finally, the feature allows your doctor or DME to send changes to your machine. You can turn the feature off but then it bugs you to turn it back on. You do have the option, after the warranty has expired, to manually disable the modem. There are instructions for doing that.

Time: Check the time once a month. It drifts. You also have to change the time when Daylight Savings Time changes.

I have used my machine with the P10, Swift pillows and Dreamwear masks. I have no experience with Full Face masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent review! Thank you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset Cobra4x4 10 7,515 09-24-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Product Review] Migrating from S9 Autoset to Airsense 10-Comparing Therapy Modes becker44a 10 5,339 02-06-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: BobbieM
  [Product Review] Cheaper Alternative: A comparison between BMC GII APAP and Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset sharp56 10 21,166 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 44 64,916 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.