Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
Hope these reviews are reliable! Had another sleep study a few weeks ago, just got back from my doctor..he is prescribing me a S9 Auto with humidifier and a mask of my choice! Now Im waiting for the DME to call....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2013, 01:38 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: Hope these reviews are reliable! Had another sleep study a few weeks ago, just got back from my doctor..he is prescribing me a S9 Auto with humidifier and a mask of my choice! Now Im waiting for the DME to call....

Don't get the Resmed S9 Auto Escape!! I just went through that today and the girl told me it was an escape and then she said it wasn't so I posted on the board when I was at the DME's office and asked if the Escape was written on the machine and then I called Resmed with the serial number and verified it with them. I love Resmed CPAP's. Will see how I like the AUto set tonight. She wouldn't tell me how to change my settings but when I am ready, I will read and get it done. for now, what should have been a 1 hour appt., turned into a 2 1/2 hour appt. b/c of their mistakes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
(09-10-2013, 10:22 AM)RonWessels Wrote: However, if the reduced exhale pressure is maintained until an inhale is detected, the airway would have a chance to collapse between the previous exhale and the current inhale. To avoid that, the pressure should be restored to the inhale pressure when the end of the exhale is detected.

When the exhale stops, the pressure rises because the exhalation pressure relief ceases. When the inhale starts the pressure rises again from EPAP to IPAP. That's the difference between the way exhalation pressure relief works and the way bilevel pressure works.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2013, 07:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When the exhale stops, the pressure rises because the exhalation pressure relief ceases. When the inhale starts the pressure rises again from EPAP to IPAP. That's the difference between the way exhalation pressure relief works and the way bilevel pressure works.

There can be a noticeable time difference between when a previous exhale ends and the next inhale begins. ResMed machines restore from EPR pressure reduction when the next inhale begins. PRS1 machines restore from *-Flex pressure reduction when the exhale ends.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 10:29 AM)RonWessels Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 07:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When the exhale stops, the pressure rises because the exhalation pressure relief ceases. When the inhale starts the pressure rises again from EPAP to IPAP. That's the difference between the way exhalation pressure relief works and the way bilevel pressure works.

There can be a noticeable time difference between when a previous exhale ends and the next inhale begins. ResMed machines restore from EPR pressure reduction when the next inhale begins. PRS1 machines restore from *-Flex pressure reduction when the exhale ends.

So, it is beneficial to use the EPR then. The DME told me that EPR is only for those that cannot handle high pressure all at one time (such as people knew to CPAP and use the ramp).

Post Reply Post Reply
AFAIK, apnea events do not occur on exhale, since the diaphragm is perfectly capable of powering through any blockage. Which means that *-Flex from PRS1 is a pure comfort issue and does not affect required treatment pressure. However, for ResMed machines, because your airway could theoretically collapse (block) completely in the short period between an inhale and an exhale with the EPR-reduced pressure (it is, after all, lower than your required "treatment" pressure), it may be necessary to increase the treatment pressure when using ResMed machines over the treatment pressure when using PRS1 machines.

Emphasis on "could theoretically" and "may be".
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed EPR http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s8_eli...s&sec=true

Event Detection Circuit
The Event Detection Circuit is a backup feature of the EPR algorithm.
Changes in a patient's sleeping position or sleep stage (ie, REM sleep) may cause sudden, unpredictable events to occur without the typical preceding flow limitation or snoring. When such an event is detected, EPR immediately suspends, and the treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP. EPR remains suspended until the event concludes and normal breathing resumes.

EPR Timeout
If a patient's exhalation period exceeds 15 seconds, EPR immediately suspends. The treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP and remains suspended until the next inhalation phase is detected.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 04:47 PM)zonk Wrote: ResMed EPR http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s8_eli...s&sec=true

Event Detection Circuit
The Event Detection Circuit is a backup feature of the EPR algorithm.
Changes in a patient's sleeping position or sleep stage (ie, REM sleep) may cause sudden, unpredictable events to occur without the typical preceding flow limitation or snoring. When such an event is detected, EPR immediately suspends, and the treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP. EPR remains suspended until the event concludes and normal breathing resumes.

EPR Timeout
If a patient's exhalation period exceeds 15 seconds, EPR immediately suspends. The treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP and remains suspended until the next inhalation phase is detected.

That is nice to know but what if the DME didn't set up the set pressure and set up only the range for the auto set? and, if the pressure setting (set) is too low, that could create a problem too. I was told that the EPR only goes up to 3 (not sure if this is true or not and will do some investigation when things slow down a little bit for me). Thanks for this info!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, Im back, and Im actually quite happy. Got the autoset, humidifier, heated tube and carrying case. They didn't have my mask (swift fx) so they said they will ship it in the next few days...wont hold my breath. Only problem I see is I've been on CPAP for years with a pressure setting of 11. The dr wrote this prescription for 4 to 20. I could change it myself, but get this....in one month Im to mail them my SD card so my insurance provider knows Im in compliance... The machine is on a rental basis for the first 3 months, then I own it. Guess the insurance wants to make sure their getting their monies worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 06:27 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: Well, Im back, and Im actually quite happy. Got the autoset, humidifier, heated tube and carrying case. They didn't have my mask (swift fx) so they said they will ship it in the next few days...wont hold my breath. Only problem I see is I've been on CPAP for years with a pressure setting of 11. The dr wrote this prescription for 4 to 20. I could change it myself, but get this....in one month Im to mail them my SD card so my insurance provider knows Im in compliance... The machine is on a rental basis for the first 3 months, then I own it. Guess the insurance wants to make sure their getting their monies worth.

My first CPAP machine was purchased outright for me by the insurance company. This time, I have the same set up you do. It is rented for 3 months and then they will purchase it if I am in compliance (meaning use of at least 4 hours per night). In a way, this is good b/c if I have another sleep study that shows I need a different type of machine, that can happen since this one is a rental. I am going to ask my dr. about another sleep study as my pressure is 95% at the pressure of 20 and my sleep study 2 years ago said my pressure should be set at 12. This concerns me a lot since my current (new) machine only goes to 20 so if I should need higher pressure, it won't be able to provide it. They had to order my mask for me as well. Hope it arrives soon.

So happy you got your new machine and hope it works well for you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet zonk 140 130,548 10-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: dundematon
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset Cobra4x4 10 7,516 09-24-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Product Review] Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 5 16,058 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GWild
  [Product Review] Cheaper Alternative: A comparison between BMC GII APAP and Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset sharp56 10 21,166 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Respironics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+ [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 9 19,434 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,349 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57
Information How to Review a Product in this forum SuperSleeper 0 15,136 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.