Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
Duh. Thanks for that, zonk. Totally missed where the post was. Sigh.

Red, I'll be moving this into its own thread in the main forum.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just purchased the Resmed S9 Autoset with the Climateline.
This machine is absolutely incredible! If you have not tried one you can not even imagine how much more comfortable and extremely effective a machine can be. I have 2 other machines the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto CPAP and the PR REMstar Pro System One with Auto IQ and neither of them can even compare to this one. The big difference is the extremely sofisticated algorithm this machine has which makes it very effective. I could not accomplish anything better than AHI 3-4 in the REMstar Pro Auto IQ in Auto mode, and 4-5 in the Intellipap Auto in Auto mode. In CPAP mode they both were better for my Apnea treatment.
This machine in Auto mode gives me AHI 1-2 in full Auto mode in the same specified Min Max ranges.
Another big difference is that this machine is not only super quiet outside, but inside in the Full Face mask I do not even hear any air nose when I inhale or exhale, it is amazing.
The machine is very well made, very attractive looking and also very easy to set it up and make changes when you want to.
I wish I had bit the bullet some time ago and purchase this machine, which changed my life.
But I am glad that I finally did it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
(04-24-2012, 01:43 PM)VonP Wrote:
(02-18-2012, 12:29 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I rate the machine 4 stars with regard to data management only, because the competing Respironic product offers a few more data points, such as RERA and Periodic Breathing (Cheyenne Stokes.)

Could I ask, as a newbie who is considering a Resmed S9 (having virtually zero trust in Philips, due to a way too long story to explain here Grin), what exactly you mean by that? What is the Philips doing better / what use is this 'RERA' information and 'Cheyenne Stokes'?

Thank you Smile

They lost my vote from trying that clunker, the REMstar SE.
Philips should stick to making screwdrivers. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Im a long time Cpap User and Ive owned many machines. My last machine was resmed malibu that was a great machine for 6 yrs and finally had a problem that resmed said wasnt worth fixing.
I got an S9 autoset on thurs from my resp tech and I havent slept a full night since. I wake up several times a night throad painfully dry. I never had a jaw drop or mouth breathing problem before but I had a chin strap. So I put it on to see if suddenly I had developed that...I still got dry throat to the point of it being painful.
I starte out with H5 on 3 went to 4 went 4.5 then 6, at 6 which is the last and highest setting it was a bit better but still woke me up. There is no where to go from 6.
I never had this problem with any other machine. The S9 humdifiier light is coming on and I feel warmth. Its working, just not good enough.
I have a call in to my tech and If this is working properly, its not the machine for me and Ill have to try something else, I use and need humidification all year round.
Post Reply Post Reply
lpast8's issues with the Autoset was discussed in another thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...5#pid26155
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know I am a bit late to the party, and a new member. Sorry if this is a Necro post, however..

I have had Philips units for the last few years and while it was certainly better than not using a machine it was not great. On top of that the home care company was pretty terrible and replacements for the units (two replacements, humidifier connection kept 'breaking' somehow on the logic board, and then it would cut off mid 'therapy') led me to want to get my own unit.

This brought me to much research and I found the S9 autoset.

I got it yesterday, and had my first night with it.. un-be-liev-able difference. Seriously.

The machine, compared to my previous PRS1 unit(s) is whisper quiet. The machine itself is beautiful, the amount of data, and control is top notch (again compared my my PR experiences).

The heated tubing made a huge difference for me, even cranked at max humidity the old PRS unit always left my mouth very dry and sore in the morning. After the first night with this unit, no such problem. It was fantastic. I also got the first good nights sleep I can remember in the last 13+ years..

For a comparison of the PR unit, to this one, here is the first bit of data from the S9 auto to the PR:

S9:

AHI 1.72
Hypopnea 1.11
Apnea 0.12
Obstructive 0.49
Clear Airway 0.00

PRS:
Date Sleep Wake Hours
2/10/2013 00:56 06:29 07:06:42
AHI 247.90
Hypopnea 16.45
Obstructive 14.06
Clear Airway 217.39
RERA 0.00
Flow Limit 71.99

I think that kind of explains it all..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
(02-12-2013, 02:43 PM)movethatmtn Wrote: How do I interpret the AHI score? What does .8 mean? Thanks

Hi movethatmtn and welcome to Apnea Board. I'm moving your question to a new thread in the main forum where it's more likely to get some good answers.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - newbie here.

I'm on my seventh CPAP / APAP machine. I've been using an S9 autoset with humidifier for six months. It is garbage compared to my S8 Vantage Autoset (which I just went back to a few nights ago and feel human again).

I had the same sorts of issues described by lpast8. My max average pressure using the S8 was 11.8. The first few nights with the S9 the damn thing woke me up with pressures of 17 to 18. I tried all kinds of different setting combinations - and finally had to set an upper limit of 13. Slowly, insidiously, I started feeling worse and worse - chapped lips, no energy, dry mouth etc. Having trusted Autoset machines for many years, it did not occur to me that the machine was bogus. My mistake. after three nights on my old S8, I feel like my old self - my lips are healed, I've got energy to spare, no more feelings of depression etc.

I guess this points out a number of different things, not the least of which is my arrogance and stupidity. ResMed assures me that there is something wrong with the S9 machine I bought. The mere fact of the wild jump in pressure from the S8 to the S9 with no other changes of equipment (yes, the machine was set correctly) means something - and I should have paid closer attention sooner. I'm not convinced it is just the machine - it could be the humidifier - but my wonderful dealer in Washington has shipped me a new S9 to try. We'll see. Right now I am so grateful to my old S8 Vantage for giving me my happiness back. My wife is really happy, if you get my drift.

Big lesson learned - autoset machines are wonderful - but not free from defects. Newer does not mean better. Manufacturers are forced to continually upgrade (lighter, smaller, quieter, higher tech) to be competitive - and this does not necessarily equate to better. The S8 has been discontinued, or I would buy two or three more.

Before you ask, yes, I did try it in CPAP mode at different fixed pressures with no improvement. The one thing I did not do and should have done is to put it on the measuring gizmo to see what the pressure really is - but the gizmo is at my other house in another country named Texas.

Bigger lesson learned - trust how you feel once you know what it is like to feel good with CPAP therapy - the numbers are not as helpful as being aware of how your feel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also a newbie here but was so glad to find this forum!! Through here I now have both the Resmed and Sleepyhead software and I can see the difference my new S9 Auotset coupled with the F&P Pilairo mask has made.

I have a "circle" beard and used full-face masks until I discovered the Pilairo. It has mad a big difference.

I've used an S9 Autoset for about 2 years now. The only problems I had were with the "climateline" hose (get holed) and keeping the humidifier tank free from calcification buildup (I found CLR good for that!).

My measured AHI without a CPAP machine was 139. With this setup it averages around 3-5. Brilliant!

I originally hired the machine but the Resmed withdrew them for rent (according to the shop). I ended up purchasing my new S9 online from the USA. It was a third of the Australian retail price. I order my supplies (filter, mask pillows etc) online too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 10:26 PM)GourmetSaint Wrote: The only problems I had were ... and keeping the humidifier tank free from calcification buildup (I found CLR good for that!).

That'll work, but make sure you do a really good job of rinsing the tank afterwards. To quote the MSDS sheet on CLR:

Quote:POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
INHALATION: Irritation, breathing difficulties, headaches, dizziness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet zonk 140 130,605 10-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: dundematon
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset Cobra4x4 10 7,534 09-24-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Product Review] Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 5 16,067 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GWild
  [Product Review] Cheaper Alternative: A comparison between BMC GII APAP and Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset sharp56 10 21,184 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Respironics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+ [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 9 19,447 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,358 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57
Information How to Review a Product in this forum SuperSleeper 0 15,139 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.