Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum]
I've been using a CPAP for fewer than five weeks now. I first got a ResMed Escape through my insurance about a month ago and went the the Veteran Administration to get assistance to pay the deductible when the bill came.
The VA's response was to give me a second machine altogether: a ResMed AutoSet.

I didn't think there could be much difference, but I've gotten some of best sleep of the last ten years in the three nights I've had the AutoSet. Sometimes I'm breathing so natural, I'm no even certain it's on!
The only problem I had was similar to LJA's above. Last night I rolled onto my back and it cranked itself up to a setting of 17+ and was blowing the mask off of my face! It wouldn't return to a lower setting even though I tried breathing normal for the machine. I had to reboot it and everything returned to normal.
The lady at the clinic set it to range from 11-20, so I may set the high end a little lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 10:41 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 10:26 PM)GourmetSaint Wrote: The only problems I had were ... and keeping the humidifier tank free from calcification buildup (I found CLR good for that!).

That'll work, but make sure you do a really good job of rinsing the tank afterwards. To quote the MSDS sheet on CLR:

Quote:POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
INHALATION: Irritation, breathing difficulties, headaches, dizziness.

Of course!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'll add a 6 month use review to the board.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with UARS (upper airway resistive syndrome), a version of sleep apnea. As a treatment, it was CPAP time for me. I was initially set up with a Resmed S9 Autoset and, following the initial tweaking, it's been chugging along for the last six months quite contentedly. I have not had any issues to date with the unit or the H5i humidifier that was set up at the same time.

The exhalation resistance relief (ESR) is set at level 3 (relief of 3 cm H2O, I believe) and it does make a difference.

From the number of folks using the S9's, I would have to say they are a pretty widely available product with a good track record and must accommodate a lot of different people's settings.

Overall, although I don't have much to compare it to, I'd have to say this is a good APAP that, once you get used to CPAP therapy in general, seems to "disappear" from your night time breathing. IMHO, that's a very good thing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
(02-18-2012, 12:25 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: 5

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10]

I've had my ResMed S9 AutoSet for several months now, and I'm completely happy with it. In my opinion, unless you're going to go with a very sophisticated auto-BiPAP, the S9 Autoset is as close as it gets to perfection in the CPAP world.

Auto CPAPs aren't cheap, and I paid about $850 or so for mine several months ago. But, I feel this was a worthwhile investment in my own health.

Some good things about this machine are it's intuitive design - it's very easy to operate, and a couple of minutes in the instruction manual will get you up and running right away. Ease of use - that's important to me and many other CPAP users. The machine itself is very lightweight and small. Additionally, this machine is VERY VERY QUIET. In fact, when your mask is on, someone else in the bedroom will not even know if the machine is on or not. It's amazing to me how much they've reduced the sound levels of this thing.

The S9 Mask-Fit system runs a 3 minute seal integrity test, prior to therapy treatment. After 3 minutes, a Mask-Fit icon appears (a green or red smiley face). If the smiley face is red, adjustments are necessary until the smiley face turns green, then therapy will begin. Cute, and a nice feature, but not completely necessary.

The S9 units offer the optional Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier with Climate Control. Since I don't use a humidifier, I can't really offer much here, other than to say many people seem to be satisfied with it. Using the optional ClimateLine heated hose is another option which many have found useful. There have been a few problems with early versions of the ClimateLine hose, but I believe ResMed has addressed these issues in their current run of ClimateLine hoses.

The S9 AutoSet comes with a SlimLine (non-heated) hose in the box. The ends of the hose are the same size as standard CPAP tubing, but the hose itself is slightly smaller in diameter. Good for folks who don't like bulky hoses. You can use the supplied SlimLine hose, or use a standard CPAP hose, no problem, the ends are identical, it's just the hose diameter in between that's different. Just remember there is a setting in the setup menu for type of hose, so you'll need to set that in order to maintain proper pressures.

You can use nasal pillows, full face masks or nasal masks with the S9, you'll simply need to set the type of mask in the machine setup menu system.

This machine comes with ResMed's "EPR" (Expiratory Pressure Relief) technology, which is a comfort feature that will decrease the pressure at the beginning of each breath and keeps the pressure low throughout exhalation.

I strongly suggest that most CPAP users should consider going with an auto-CPAP machine. You can read about the benefits of auto-CPAP HERE.

The real power behind this little gem is the fact that it's fully data-capable and you can use the optional (and free) ResScan personal computer software to extract data and generate charts to monitor and adjust your ongoing CPAP therapy. You can read about how to get the ResScan software for free HERE. (you must log in first) You just have to purchase a cheap SD Memory Card Reader for your computer (usually between $15-25) and you can then take the SD card out of the CPAP machine and download the data onto your PC for further analysis. An SD card is included with the machine. ResScan is wonderful - I suggest you use it if you get the S9.

If you want to learn more about the S9, there's a good video review at the bottom of this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResMed/ResMed-...Setup.html

That page also shows you how to enter the Clinician Setup Mode on your S9 unit, to change pressures and other settings you may find useful. If you do choose to change your prescribed pressures, make sure you read through this page and this page so you can do it safely and properly.

I really can't think of a lot of negatives for this machine. The only problem I've ever had in the past several months was that two times, the machine just shut off in the middle of the night, waking me up. Not a big deal, especially since it's been operating flawlessly at all other times... and the machine simply came back on after a few seconds and I was able to go right back to sleep. But this problem may have been caused by my sleeping behavior, not necessarily because of a machine malfunction.

I can firmly recommend the ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP machine, and happily give it "5 stars". Smile

I have a Resmed S9 and will be getting the auto set this week. My S9 came with an SD card so I thought they all did. Maybe when it is a private purchase they don't come with one. I asked my respiratory therapist about software to read my information b/c they wanted to charge me $25 every time and they said that only DME companies could have the software. Hmmm.....we know that isn't so!! I do like my Resmed CPAP. I have many times put my hand in front of my mask to make sure that I turned the machine on b/c it was so quiet!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked for a BIPAP when I had my sleep study and they refused to let me have one. I can't remember why they told me I couldn't now. I will have to read about the BIPAP therapy again to see if I can remember why they said no to a BIPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2012, 12:32 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
SocialGil Wrote:ResMed has just opened a new YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ResMedAmericas

We have video fitting guides, mask tips and tricks, flow generator features and capability videos, so hopefully it will be a valuable resource.

We have two playlists for the S9 series on the channel which may be helpful for folks that are fairly new to the S9 platform and would like to learn a little more about their device.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ResMedAmeric...D1AF2DAEC3
http://www.youtube.com/user/ResMedAmeric...A991C4C314

I hope these links are helpful.

Gil Ben-Dov
VP Social Media Strategy
ResMed

one time when I was at the DME office, I saw a face mask that one of the patients got and it was one that covered the whole face (kind of reminded me of Hannibal Lecture). Anyone know what that was? I have never seen one like it when I look at the choice of masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are often discontinued. So we see new ones appearing and old ones disappearing.

When patients complain that they have trouble exhaling during their sleep study a BiPAP is then used.
Insurance companies then won't approve a BiPAP for that patient, claiming that they were able to tolerate a CPAP.

I have doubts that a BiPAP is as effective as a CPAP in treating OSA because your airway can collapse when you're exhaling just as well as when you're inhaling. I could be wrong.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
one time when I was at the DME office, I saw a face mask that one of the patients got and it was one that covered the whole face (kind of reminded me of Hannibal Lecture). Anyone know what that was? I have never seen one like it when I look at the choice of masks.
[/quote]

The mask is probably the Respironics FitLife, you can google it if you want.
Bipaps are used for people with central sleep apnea and people that require oxygen, they are also much more expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2013, 09:07 PM)Tez62 Wrote: one time when I was at the DME office, I saw a face mask that one of the patients got and it was one that covered the whole face (kind of reminded me of Hannibal Lecture). Anyone know what that was? I have never seen one like it when I look at the choice of masks.

The mask is probably the Respironics FitLife, you can google it if you want.
Bipaps are used for people with central sleep apnea and people that require oxygen, they are also much more expensive.
[/quote]

thanks!! I looked at it but that isn't what I saw....it was more like a plate. not sure what it was!! will ask tomorrow when I go to the DME. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2013, 07:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I have doubts that a BiPAP is as effective as a CPAP in treating OSA because your airway can collapse when you're exhaling just as well as when you're inhaling. I could be wrong.

I believe that apneas do not occur during exhale, for the simple reason that exhaling can simply power through a blockage. However, if the reduced exhale pressure is maintained until an inhale is detected, the airway would have a chance to collapse between the previous exhale and the current inhale. To avoid that, the pressure should be restored to the inhale pressure when the end of the exhale is detected.

(09-09-2013, 09:07 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Bipaps are used for people with central sleep apnea and people that require oxygen, they are also much more expensive.

You are confusing a BiPAP (or Bi-level CPAP to be generic) with an Auto-Servo CPAP. A simple Bi-level CPAP has (a) a greater possible range between inhale and exhale pressures, and (b) a greater possible pressure range, typically up to 25 cmH2O where "normal" CPAP's top out at 20 cmH2O.

Now, Auto-Servo CPAP's do tend to be Bi-level as well, so the confusion is understandable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet zonk 140 130,548 10-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: dundematon
  [Product Review] ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset Cobra4x4 10 7,516 09-24-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  [Product Review] Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 5 16,058 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GWild
  [Product Review] Cheaper Alternative: A comparison between BMC GII APAP and Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset sharp56 10 21,166 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Respironics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+ [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 9 19,435 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,349 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57
Information How to Review a Product in this forum SuperSleeper 0 15,136 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.