Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed Air TOUCH F20 full-face mask
Thumbsup 
Resmed Air TOUCH F20 full-face mask
5 Amazing

I am a guy with LOTS of facial hair, beard, sideburns, mustache, etc...  (I figure not shaving has saved me thousands of dollars over the years Grin )
I also found when I was getting my titration study for my CPAP is that I am both a nose and mouth breather....   Actually I'd thought so for a long time, but this confirmed it...  If I try doing just a nasal mask, I have issues w/ my nose plugging up, so I start mouth breathing...  W/ a full face mask, I seem to switch back and forth. 

When I was having the titration study, and then when they were doing the early setup I was given trials on several different 'silicone balloon' style masks such as the Resmed Air FIT F20, and Philips models...  They would give me reasonable seal if they were cranked down tight enough to be seriously uncomfortable. 

If I started loosening them to fit as suggested in the Wiki articles on mask fitting, I got a good seal if the mask was positioned "just right" and didn't move my mouth at all, but any movement of the mask from sleep movement, face wiggling, etc. I'd start getting leaks...  I was frequently waking up and needing to futz with the mask position.  Oscar said I was AVERAGING 25% of the time in Large Leak. 

I had a followup virtual visit w/ my sleep doc, after sending him the summary report from OSCAR, (He didn't want the daily data) and said this was the only real issue I was having.  He said the therapy results were very good, as I  was running well under 1 AHI most nights, but agreed that the LL time was a concern.  He said that he had seen some reports that the 'foam' mask cushions seemed to work better for hairy faces...

I was past the 90 day 'trial' window, which meant our options were limited, but he said that the Resmed Air Fit and Air Touch cushions both used the "F20" headgear and frame...  I'd had moderately decent results with the Air Fit, so he suggested that I try the AirTouch as he could do a prescription for that and get me a cushion and have insurance cover it...

IT WAS WONDERFUL...   like I dropped to averaging less than 5% in Large Leak, often having ZERO LL nights, and found that I usually still had a good seal when I'd wake up to turn over or for other reasons...  I'd sometimes need to mess with the mask to get a seal after yanking on the hose while turning over,  and sometimes otherwise, but FAR less often.

The mask shape is apparently the same as the Air Fit, and has a similar silicone skirt, but instead of the silicone 'balloon' it has a strip of some sort of foam.  It may be a 'memory' foam, but I'm not sure. 

Downsides -

1. The instructions say not to get the foam wet, or expose it to alcohol, etc.  The suggestion cleaning method is to use 'CPAP wipes' I haven't priced those, but I suspect they aren't cheap...  However I have not felt a great need to clean it beyond wiping with a reasonably clean rag.
2. It seems to want to keep leaking once it starts.  Just wiggling the mask around often fails to get a good seal, especially on the bridge of my nose.  What I find more effective is to pull the mask away from my face and hold it for a few seconds before letting it settle back down in the right place.  I suspect this has to do with the foam getting a chance to 'decompress' while repositioning.

While I am using the Resmed mask, my understanding is that Phillips has similar foam cushions that fit their headgear / frames.

Bottom line - if you have a hairy face, and are having problems getting a good seal with the balloon type cushions, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying the foam version that seems like a good fit otherwise.

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Air TOUCH F20 full-face mask
I'd hope to find more about this mask, but yours is the most complete and recent.  I've worn a Wisp for more than 5 years but started having too many leaks despite doing all the thing to reduce them--it is mostly mouth leaks.  Saw my sleep doc this week and he recommended the Resmed Air Touch F20 full-face mask.  Not too many reports on this one with the memory foam cushion--read some reviews on commercial sites and main complaint was it doesn't last more than a month--sometimes less.  insurance will pay for it but still..... Thinking-about   My doctor uses this mask and loves it--he isn't selling me supplies so has no financial gain here.  Not a real happy camper about using a full face mask, but you gotta do what ya gotta do!   Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had any problems with the cushions not lasting, but then I don't try to clean them beyond the occasional wipe w/ a reasonably clean dry cloth...  My insurance also pays for supplies (probably more than I need but still building up my spare parts stash...) if I remember to call in and order every month.  I don't know why they can't just do automatic shipments... Thinking-about

At any rate, I am now on my 3rd cushion and they have all been in good shape when I replaced them... Cool

They have warnings on the package about not submerging in water, it is less clear about whether washing / rinsing under running water is a problem or not.  They also caution about not using alcohol based wipes, and say the only thing that should be used are "CPAP wipes" - I may experiment with one of my old cushions just to find out what happens....  It seems entirely possible to me that the people that are having problems with them not lasting are cleaning them more aggressively or using non-approved methods...

ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have one of those AirTouch F20 cushions. I have not worn it out nor worn it but one night at 18 months ago it seems. I thought I'd like it, but no it's not for me. I had difficulty keeping it sealed, finding it ill suited to my needs like the driving experience that a 750 pound 6' 4" person would find, attempting to wedge themself behind the wheel of a Smart ForTwo.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, with a face like the one in your photo, I can see why it doesn't fit you well...   Too-funny  Laugh-a-lot

And I certainly am not trying to say that its the perfect solution for everyone, but it seems like the foam cushions are worth a try for those folks that have trouble getting the silicone balloon cushions to seal... 

I believe the F20 is also not the only option of this type, my sleep doc mentioned that Phillips has some foam versions, and there are likely to be others.  I went with the F-20 in part since I already had the Resmed headgear, and the timing was such that my insurance would cover trying a new cushion but not a new mask w/ head gear....  Since it works reasonably well for me, I am sticking with it, and not trying other brands....

I'm almost more saying (and it might be worth putting in the Wiki) that ANY of the foam cushion masks might be worth trying, particularly if you are of the hairy sort and have trouble w/ the silicone ones...

ex-Gooserider
Post Reply Post Reply
the whiskers are probably my issue with AirTouch not the memory foam cushion itself

Dog was Sinbad BTW he was Mom's dog from a pup, made it to 15 and got sick over the winter last year and had to be put to sleep. Smartest dog we'd ever had in the family. Before he'd gotten sick he stayed next to me when I was down with broken vertebrae and kyphoplasty surgery recovery.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The dog is cute, I just couldn't resist making a joke about fitting a mask on him...

I think the face fuzz is why I find the silicone masks don't work well for me, they make small gaps and leaks under the balloon, and once a leak starts it spreads as the pressure of the leak balances whats in the balloon so the balloon collapses away from the skin...  With the foam it seems to conform to my face better and not collapse and let a little leak turn into a big one...

ex-Gooserider
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be at that. I try to shave a few times a week, it used to be daily when I worked and before the severe back issues. So saying I've not had to combo fuzzy face and PAP therapy masks at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
A hairy face isn't my problem! My sleep doc recommended this one and it looks like I can get a For Her mask version. Not certain the headgear, even the small size, will work looking at their measurement form. I have a small head and small nose--have to get smaller size gear for my Wisp. Thanks for the comments--and the jokes!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a small beard but keep it down to 2-3 day stubble, which doesn't cause leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 671 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,699 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,022 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,306 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,231 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,610 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,826 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.