Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Thumbsup 
Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto

I've been on CPAP over twenty years. The AirCurve 10 VAuto is the first BiPAP/Auto BiPAP machine that I have every used. I have been using Resmed products for the past 10 years, and personally think they are leaders in the industry.

I got my AirCurve 10 VAuto through my DME provider Americare Respiratory Service. Having met my deductible I paid $200 Insurance Copay for the machine that came with heated hose, water chamber, and case. This is a new product line for Resmed and this model costs around $1,726.00 via internet CPAP providers. Not cheap.

I used the machine two nights, and I got to say I love it! I have it set to auto start, so I just put on my mask, and the machine kicks into gear. I have to say that the VAuto mode is very nice. During the BiPAP sleep study on a different machine, I did notice the pressure switch between inhale and exhale. It took a couple minutes to get used to. Not the AirCurve 10 VAuto. The pressure change is barely noticeable, approaching invisible.

My AHI for the first night was .66, and last night .33. I am guess this is good with only 3 events logged for 34 seconds last night?

The case is great is well organized. It has a separate compartment for the hose, the air generator, the water reservoir, power supply and cord, and mask. Very well thought out. I travel for business and I really appreciate the thought they put into this new design.

The size reduction over the S9 is nice, I get a little more real estate on the night table/dresser. The unit is lighter. The water reservoir slides into the machine with only about 2 inches hanging out to view water level.

The climate (heated) hose plugs into the back of the machine. The hose end is keyed so it only clicks in one way. Once attached, the hose can rotate 360 degrees around the connection point. Power plugs into the back as well. Gone is the special pin connector for the S9, to a round barrel type connector for power.

The menu on the front provide access to user controls for various features. I cut the ramp time down to zero, since I am very used to CPAP. It still has a nice 20 second ramp up to full pressure.

The water reservoir hinges on one side, and allows for better access for cleaning that the S9. The redesign for the S9 water reservoir did allow you to unclip it on four sides and get into the tub.

I have seen complaints about the new cell based reporting feature. Really, I don't see it as a problem. It would be nice to have a toggle where it would stay in Airplane mode  when turned off or unplugged.

Not sure if there's really anything I don't like other than the Airplane mode not having a stay off feature? I think it is going to be a great machine for me.

At night, I pull out the water reservoir fill it up, and slide it back into the machine, put on my mask, and start breathing - the machine kicks on and does the rest. It is pretty fool proof.

The one thing I will say, that I learned is that once you get past 45 years old, you should really think about repeating a sleep study about every 5 years. If you use SleepyHead, you probably could extend this time a bit, since you would be able to monitor the effectiveness of the pressure therapy. I waited 10 years since my last study, and that was probably a bit too long. I don't know what the experts here think, that's my two cents.

Hope I did OK on this review and it was helpful.

Happy Papping!
Lux
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Thanks for the review, Lux... well worth the wait. Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

I went from a ResMed S8 EliteII to an AirCurve 10 VAuto. The auto adjustment and data capability development between these two units is major so right away I loved the AC10. I was very attached to my S8 and thought it was doing fine for me but after 5 years I wanted a new machine and wanted to transfer the S8 to my RV. Upon starting with the AC10, I have been thrilled and amazed at the improvement I have been able to make.
I use it in the VAuto mode with autostart, a 15 min ramp which I may decrease, and the humidifier set at 4 or 5. I have the standard slim line hose, not the heated hose. It is extremely quiet. Because I can never get a good sleep lab study, the prescription for this machine was set way too high but it automatically found my sweet spot, let me know when I had my leaks under control and just generally tuned me up. I took that information and reprogrammed my S8 to the correct pressure for use in the RV.
The one thing I don't like is the hose hookup. It is in the back of the device and does not swivel. If I want the unit display to face the bed or face forward I have to use up hose length and table space to make that happen. I use it with the display facing away from the bed in order to maximize hose length. I use a hose hanger pole to control my hose and it requires more length for optimum function. If I find a little longer slimline hose I will buy it and that will allow me to rotate the display around front.

After several weeks of analyzing the data I can see what the algorithms are doing and have confidence about what is happening with my therapy. The autoset is very powerful therapy.

(02-28-2015, 11:56 AM)Luxsit5280 Wrote: The one thing I will say, that I learned is that once you get past 45 years old, you should really think about repeating a sleep study about every 5 years. If you use SleepyHead, you probably could extend this time a bit, since you would be able to monitor the effectiveness of the pressure therapy. I waited 10 years since my last study, and that was probably a bit too long. I don't know what the experts here think, that's my two cents.

My experience has been different. Because I can't get a valid sleep study, the only reason I consented to the study was to be able to get a new machine with improved technology. As long as the prescription I have allows me to order the machine I want and the data shows my condition hasn't changed significantly, I won't get another sleep study. My latest script allowed me to go from CPAP to Bi-level. The Bi-level can be used in a CPAP mode. With that and an oximeter I will stay on top of my data and the science and technology. I care more about my therapy than my doctor does.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I'm new to the world of CPAP. Just diagnosed a few months ago...with severe apnea...over 75 events per hour...o2 saturation down in the low 50's...not good.

I must have a decent sleep doc and DME...because they sent me home with the Air Curve Vauto.
Little did I know or understand that this was kind of a "cadillac" of new CPAP machines.

From a noobs POV...all I can say is that this machine was so easy to be compliant with. I had not issues from the start.

Breathing is incredibly smooth and natural at 10/14.

After rummaging through this board I realized the machine could do so much more. I got into the clinician's menu and and started playing around with the endless bells and whistles.

One change I made was experimenting with the ramp. Its a time ramp. I also turned on Autostart which I really like. Just breath into it and it starts right up.

But for me..its been all about how smooth and natural the breathing is...i have no problem sleeping through then night. The auto climate control never leaves me with a dry mouth. Its very very confortable.

I have yet to use the VAUTO feature...but I will probably try it soon. It also has CPAP with pressure relief...somewhat similar to bipap.

I will probably try vauto as my events do tend to rise up to the 10 per hour range from time to time...

I love this machine and as I noob...its hard for me to understand how people have so many problems starting off with cpap. I'll have to give my doc and dme credit next time for giving me such a great machine off the bat.

Two things I don't care for on the machine:

1. It does not report RERAs...why resmed WHY? just a silly omission
2. While it has CPA, it does not have Autoset. Pretty sure the machine and motor could easily handle it, its just disabled in the software. Again...kinda lame

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 06:59 PM)Cygnus Wrote: Two things I don't care for on the machine:

1. It does not report RERAs...why resmed WHY? just a silly omission
2. While it has CPA, it does not have Autoset. Pretty sure the machine and motor could easily handle it, its just disabled in the software. Again...kinda lame

I'm confused; I have the AirCurve 10 Vauto Bilevel and it has AutoSet. And you talk about trying the "Vauto". To my mind that is autoset.
What is CPA?

Everyone is different, and many characteristics can cause XPAP adjustment to be difficult: sinus problems, allergies, facial geometry, the level of OSA, the pressure required etc. You are lucky to be adjusting easily. I wish you continued success with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I was understand, Vauto and auto set are not quite the same thing. Auto set will take a straight cpap pressure and raise/lower as it monitors your event.

Vauto is the same idea, but adjusts both your ipap and epep settings.

There are 3 modes on the machine.....cpap....s (no adjusting bipap) and Vauto (auto adjusting bipap)

There is no auto set mode on mine (auto adjusting cpap)

I probably could adjust the setting on Vauto mode, however, to basically mimic autoset mode by setting ipap and epap to the same pressure. Never tried it tho...

Tried the Vauto last night, got my events down to 1 per hour....will have to see how stable I can keep it aver the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2015, 12:33 PM)Cygnus Wrote: From what I was understand, Vauto and auto set are not quite the same thing. Auto set will take a straight cpap pressure and raise/lower as it monitors your event.

Vauto is the same idea, but adjusts both your ipap and epep settings.

There are 3 modes on the machine.....cpap....s (no adjusting bipap) and Vauto (auto adjusting bipap)

There is no auto set mode on mine (auto adjusting cpap)

I probably could adjust the setting on Vauto mode, however, to basically mimic autoset mode by setting ipap and epap to the same pressure. Never tried it tho...

Tried the Vauto last night, got my events down to 1 per hour....will have to see how stable I can keep it aver the long run.

OK, so this is just a terminology thing. ResMed defines the AirCurve as follows:
"The AirCurve 10 VAuto is an auto-adjusting bilevel machine that uses the comfort of both the AutoSet™ algorithm and Easy-Breathe waveform in its VAuto algorithm to treat obstructive sleep apnea patients who can benefit from greater pressure support."

In VAuto mode it automatically adjusts both the IPAP and EPAP over time. The EPAP is always PS cmH2O below the IPAP. If you do not want a Bilevel just set PS to zero. Then you will have a single level APAP (adjustable positive airway pressure)

A CPAP machine is, by definition, a constant pressure device and does not adjust.

Also we can contrast this with the Phillips Respironics which adjusts the IPAP and EPAP independently of each other.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had the machine for a month now. I like it very much. Especially after I got a heated hose. This is my first xpap.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so surprised that in Feb it will be 4 years since anybody wrote about the Aircurve VAuto. I just started using this and I was 29.1 AHI and by the second night I was down to 1.57 AHI and I hope to get even lower. It is so nice and simply to use with many great features. I am very pleased and feel so blessed that I was able to get this machine. I really do believe after looking at other machines that this is the very best out there
Post Reply Post Reply
RLMMG,
Thanks for reviving this thread. Happy to hear that the VAuto is working so well for you.
Good Luck and Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] AirCurve 10 ASV steve823 6 10,122 04-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Last Post: storywizard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.