Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10
I discovered a failure mode that can cause the P10 to leak after a few months.

Each nostril insert has two concentric cones. I found that the inner cone when it gets worn can retract to a position about 3/16" farther from the nose, leaving the outer cone without sufficient support to make a good seal with the nostril. As a temporary fix I could pop the inner cone back to its normal position.

The inner cone was bi-stable: it was either correct or retracted all the way; it was not stable at any intermediate position. This is good because you don’t have to worry about whether the inner cone is slightly out of position.

I did not experiment with how many days I could keep using the pillow with the temporary fix. I immediately ordered a replacement pillow for $20. (I feel getting a few months use out of a $20 pillow is excellent value.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 05:47 AM)beet Wrote: I discovered a failure mode that can cause the P10 to leak after a few months.

Each nostril insert has two concentric cones.  I found that the inner cone when it gets worn can retract to a position about 3/16" farther from the nose, leaving the outer cone without sufficient support to make a good seal with the nostril.  As a temporary fix I could pop the inner cone back to its normal position.  

The inner cone was bi-stable: it was either correct or retracted all the way; it was not stable at any intermediate position.  This is good because you don’t have to worry about whether the inner cone is slightly out of position.

I did not experiment with how many days I could keep using the pillow with the temporary fix.  I immediately ordered a replacement pillow for $20.  (I feel getting a few months use out of a $20 pillow is excellent value.)

The pillows have an effective life of 3-5 months anyway, and won't last forever It's not a "Faliure mode" because they deteriorate over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree; pillows are only expected to last 3 months so toss any that don't work correction.

However, I might go more than a year with the same pillow now that I don't use water.

It makes no sense to me that HUMIDITY is somehow causing the pillow to deteriorate faster but that's my experience.

I have so many pillows stacked up (paid for by insurance) that I COULD change them every week if needed.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-10-2017, 08:50 PM)herbm Wrote: I agree; pillows are only expected to last 3 months so toss any that don't work correction.

However, I might go more than a year with the same pillow now that I don't use water.

It makes no sense to me that HUMIDITY is somehow causing the pillow to deteriorate faster but that's my experience.

I have so many pillows stacked up (paid for by insurance) that I COULD change them every week if needed.

you could make good money selling the spares on ebay to buyers outside the USA.

I only buy my masks and pillows from US sellers on ebay.
Post Reply Post Reply

This is my favorite mask because it is simple to put on and take off.

I don't get any strap marks and it's very quiet even at pressures of 25cm.

Two tricks that helped me were:

-Wearing the Large size pillow even though medium also fits.

- Using the clips to tighten the headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 05:47 AM)beet Wrote: I discovered a failure mode that can cause the P10 to leak after a few months.

Each nostril insert has two concentric cones.  I found that the inner cone when it gets worn can retract to a position about 3/16" farther from the nose, leaving the outer cone without sufficient support to make a good seal with the nostril.  As a temporary fix I could pop the inner cone back to its normal position.  

The inner cone was bi-stable: it was either correct or retracted all the way; it was not stable at any intermediate position.  This is good because you don’t have to worry about whether the inner cone is slightly out of position.

I did not experiment with how many days I could keep using the pillow with the temporary fix.  I immediately ordered a replacement pillow for $20.  (I feel getting a few months use out of a $20 pillow is excellent value.)

"beet", your post was very helpful to me personally.  After being off of cpap for 10 years and giving another shot at it in April, I was happy with my P10 gear once my deviated septum got used to it (toughened up) but started having troubles with leaks, etc. and did not understand what was going on.  I had not read anything about the life expectancy of the pillows previously and did not see any wear.  I decided to come here and see if others had reportedly problems and, after reading your post, I noticed that the inner cone on one side was retracted just as you described.  I don't know how I had missed that.  Last night I had the great experience I was previously accustomed to.  A new pillow is on the way and I'll order another replacement soon so that I have one on hand when it's needed.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 18 2,736 11-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 20 13,797 09-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Airfit F20 PsychoMike 39 10,038 09-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nathanoj
Wink [Product Review] Resmed AirFit F10 DNB128 24 18,005 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Kadenz