Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10
Resmed AirFit P10
So how is everyone getting on with their AirFit P10?

For me, in terms of the exhale port and the construction of the nose piece (backed with hard plastic rather than silicon), this is an undeniable improvement over the Swift FX.

The exhale port is barely noticable, so you aren't having to wrestle with pillows and blankets to get in a position where you aren't shooting air at yourself or your partner.

The nosepiece feels a little more comfortable as well.

The headgear is definitely more comfortable than the Swift FX, as it's merely two very small elastic bands. You can't tighten them, really, you just pull them farther back on your head and neck to make the mask tighter.

My main concern is that the headgear will get stretched out over time. In fact, it felt so good I tried going without my chinstrap (which I need to keep the leaks down with any nasal pillows), and while it felt good at first it eventually took my leaks up to the point where I felt like I need the chinstrap. This is only from 30 days of use so it may be merely coincidence.

Of course, even if the headgear stretches out, I can probably get by because I wear a chinstrap anyway.

But while I feel like the design is undebatably better than the Swift FX, I'm hesitant to recommend this mask until I see how the headgear holds up to a few months or a year of abuse. According to Supplier #1, the headgear will return to its original form after washing in warm water. I'd been avoiding washing the headgear for fear of stretching it out but perhaps I will bite the bullet and try that this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirFit P10
On another forum, after proclaiming the P10 to be nearly silent, I was challenged (er, encouraged Smile) to measure the noise from the Airfit P10 and a program for measuring noise with an Android smart phone was suggested to me.

I haven't done a truly scientific test, but a quick test showed the 'mask' (it's really just nose pillows, a hose, and a simple head strap) to be essentially quite at 3" with normal breathing.

The background nose in my bedroom was about 20 dB due to a standing fan across the room (which is actually pretty quite for a bedroom). The breathing barely wiggled the meter graph, remaining virtually flatline.

I tested the meter app to be sure it was working and responsive with normal and loud breathing through my mouth, and the mask breathing was actually quieter than simple mouth breathing by a good margin.

More when I have fully tested in more controlled conditions.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
:O Can't they just take your word for it!

It is definitely a very quiet mask.

I washed mine an hour or so ago. One downside of the construction is that you can't chuck the straps in the dryer, but it's also small enough that it should dry out in a few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it is an issue of "which is quieter" for some people and I have never used another similar mask.

Also, it may be that the prime "instigator" has a mask that is defective or different since it seems to be quiet but not AS QUIET as my mask and others who have it.

My mask is quieter than my breathing and most of the noise I do here is through bone conduction.

My mask is so quiet that at first I "didn't even thing it was ON". Smile

Also, this mask is less of a nuisance than wearing a t-shirt to bed that isn't loose and floppy fitting enough.

It isn't a big deal; it really isn't a "deal" at all.

If there is a better mask, then I will buy it, but I am not searching for a replacement except to have a fall back if my nose is ever stopped up too much to use the nasal pillows.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Airfit for about two weeks now (previously used swift)

I'm amazed at the difference the new mask makes.

Everyone has spoken about how silent it is and thats certainly true but for me the most amazing thing is the change in my sleep habits.

With the swift I'd wake up every three hours and often take the mask off (unconciously) during the night.

With the Airfit I'm regularly sleeping 6+ hours and to date have never taken it off during the night.

A huge difference....Kudos to Resmed for the new design.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Very cool.

We all enjoy it when what works for us, works for others. (Makes us feel special Smile)

I can almost forget I have the Airfit P10 on.

I am a reasonably big guy but bald and the strap fits like it was designed for me (thought is was a tad loose when I got it, but the Airfit doesn't need MUCH to stay on -- go figure, a mask that makes ALMOST no contact except the pillows and doesn't blow out without being cinched down.)

It is rumored that some people have "strap marks" in the morning but you can't prove it by me while wearing the P10.

If I didn't know how much trouble almost everyone has with a bunch of masks before finding the "one" I would just figure all masks work properly.

This was the first mask that I had, and there is really nothing to complain about.

My leaks remain minimal -- 0-Median and 0-95% last night.

...with no noticeable tension on the headgear.

I have STOPPED fiddling and adjusting the pillows to make sure they are right -- they are -- and just set them and leave them ALL NIGHT.

BTW, I do still prefer to put on the mask at the mirror -- getting the pillows perfect and then hook up the hose and turn on the air.

If I do it this way it WORKS best.

(Oddly, I can use ANY of the 3 sizes of pillows, S, M or L.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
I just saw this review thread, and have posted in the main area on another like it. I am just wondering if anyone out there using the P10 has also used the nuance pro, I'd love to know how they stack up to each other. I am specifically wondering about the lack of a swivel hose on the front of the P10 vs the Nuance pro. If anyone out there has used both I hope they will come by and impart some experience.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got to try the P10 last night. I had an appointment at my sleep clinic yesterday (2 reasons: return the Quattro Air I tried out and to have them look at my data).

I had asked them about the P10 during my trial period, but they hadn't heard of it yet. At each weekly appointment, he'd update me on what he'd heard (ResMed making plans to come in to see his boss, then finding out about it, but not knowing when they'd get it). This time he told me that they had gotten in a couple of samples but didn't know when they'd get it in for sale. He said he tried it, but found exhalation to be difficult. He then asked if I'd like to try it out.

My thoughts after one night:
- I did not have any issues with exhalation (my pressure would be low though set to 5-20). Breathing felt close to natural.
- very light
- very quiet
- very little leaking

I found that I could make lots of comparisons to the Pilairo Q. I would say that the P10 is a little lighter. Comparable for noise and leaking - very little of either.

I did find the straps a bit tight, but that may be because the Pilairo strap is quite loose (both are stretchy) as it really doesn't have anything to do with the seal, but mainly just to position the pillow on the nose. I am bald/shaved head, and I did find some strap marks on the side and back of my head.

Not sure which I would say I prefer. I'll need to keep using the P10 for a week and then I'll be able to provide a better review and comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess my question remains the air exhaust - is there a real stream of air being shot through it, like on the LX and FX (in mine so strong that I could put my hand at arm's length and still feel the air column pretty well) or is it soft and diffuse enough that neither I nor my Better Three Quarters will be incommoded by it? For my current mask I rigged a wee thingy that takes the air stream up along the tube and then disperses it quietly, but on a side vented mask that would not be possible. Most of you are sampling both the air exhaust and the noise when putting it on, and if you use a ramp up,like most do, you are therefore hearing and feeling it at the lowest pressure. Anyone done an all night sound sampling or checked the exhaust feel late in the sleep session or on waking?

Also, since I tack the hose overhead to the wall, how would that work since this model does not have a swivel? Has anyone else used it in a "hanging" configuration?

Currently this mask is not available in Switzerland (or the EU so far as I know) and I would have to special order one to try it out, not keen on that idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air exhaust is barely noticeable. I have to practically touch the vent holes (more like a screen) to feel anything and even then I don't feel much.

I do have a low pressure bit I am comparing it to other masks at the same pressure and some of them had my wife complaining enough to last only one night. I will try it on with the 'mask fit' setting that issues the max pressure and post how that feels.

I don't have a hanger, but I think you'd be fine. The small hose is VERY flexible, you can be bend fold and manipulate it in any fashion, so the lack of a swivel at the mask is not an issue. It is also very light and I barely notice it. There is a swivel at the end that attaches to the long hose.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,683 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,300 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,153 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,002 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,816 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,069 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,032 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.