Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10
RE: Resmed AirFit P10
Just tried it with 'mask fit', pressure was very high.

The steam was a bit stronger but still quite weak. I could feel it up to about 5 inches away, but very soft at that distance.

Still very quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 05:14 AM)DocWils Wrote: I guess my question remains the air exhaust - is there a real stream of air being shot through it, like on the LX and FX (in mine so strong that I could put my hand at arm's length and still feel the air column pretty well) or is it soft and diffuse enough that neither I nor my Better Three Quarters will be incommoded by it?

Your other 3/4 won't even know you have a mask unless she turns on a light, opens her eyes, and LOOKS at you.

This is one of THE POINTS of the Airfit P10.

There is a special defusing screen on either side of the tube that exhausts the air near silently.

It LOOKS like just very small pin holes placed close together, but likely they did a lot of turbulence modeling and testing to find the exact size to reduce noise and keep the air from streaming out.

You will be hard pressed to feel the air at even one inch away. Or to hear it at 3 (2.5cm to 7.5cm for you Swiss types Smile ).

(02-22-2014, 05:14 AM)DocWils Wrote: For my current mask I rigged a wee thingy that takes the air stream up along the tube and then disperses it quietly, but on a side vented mask that would not be possible.

The vents are actually on the SIDE of the FRONT, but you aren't going to want to fool with any of that vent baffling; it isn't needed.

The only time I FEEL the air outside the mask is when I BURY my nose into a pillow, and even then there is not "stream of air" but rather a VERY slight "coolness" on my my upper lip of cheek or where ever the air escapes eventually.

To me, this coolness feels like a VERY SMALL and SILENT leak that is in no way uncomfortable.

Now that I know what that is, I just ignore it and snuggle into my pillow, but at first I would just move my head a little and it would disappear.

(02-22-2014, 05:14 AM)DocWils Wrote: Most of you are sampling both the air exhaust and the noise when putting it on, and if you use a ramp up,like most do, you are therefore hearing and feeling it at the lowest pressure. Anyone done an all night sound sampling or checked the exhaust feel late in the sleep session or on waking?

I have ramp OFF. I measure it mostly at 11 but when waking up I do investigate it at 12-14.

Although my pressure is only moderate, it doesn't change the sound noticeably even when at higher pressures.

It should be possible for me to just crank up the pressure and investigate....if that is really worrying you.

(02-22-2014, 05:14 AM)DocWils Wrote: Also, since I tack the hose overhead to the wall, how would that work since this model does not have a swivel? Has anyone else used it in a "hanging" configuration?
[quote='DocWils' pid='59797' dateline='1393064070']

The pigtail hose is flexible enough (very light, very flexible) that it will route in any direction you need -- others have reported using it with various hose routing schemes including head gear.

(02-22-2014, 05:14 AM)DocWils Wrote: Currently this mask is not available in Switzerland (or the EU so far as I know) and I would have to special order one to try it out, not keen on that idea.

Would vendor #1 sell you one? $99 free shipping (might be extra to Switzerland) and free RETURN INSURANCE? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, some more nights in with the P10. I was expecting to say that it I would want to replace the Pilairo Q with it, but still not sure. A few more nights should help. But I have run into some issues.

1. I woke up and found I wasn't wearing the mask and it was hanging on my bedpost. Put it back on and went back to sleep. Looking at the data it was off for over 3 hours. I don't remember taking it off.

2. On a second night, woke up and found the mask on the floor. It was only 2am, so I was only missing it for about 1/2 hour. Again, don't recall taking it off.

I also wear a bite plane for clenching/grinding and that happens sometimes with it as well.

3. One nostril was completely congested one night and I found that I could not use it with just one nostril. I found it made it hard to breathe and I got a whistling noise from the mask. I managed to clear it enough with Vicks to finally get to sleep.

4. On a second night, after waking up, had the 'one side' congestion again. Too sleepy to fight with it, so I switched to the Pilairo - it worked fine with one clogged nostril.

I will keep trying it for at least a week. Will see if I keep removing it, or have other congestion issues. I'm using the Medium pillow and may try the others to see what they are like.
Post Reply Post Reply

Interesting: You are saying that the Pilairo works better (well enough) with ONE nostril while the Airfit does not.

These are in many ways similar masks (I considered the Pilairo very seriously before purchasing the Airfit).

What difference to you suppose allows for the breathing through a single nostril?

(ALso, suggest the NeilMed Sinugator to clear that closed nostril. Once it is clear my Airfit will usually hold my nose open the rest of the night.)

BTW, I did manage to sort of screw up the Airfit last night:

1) Used the small pillows (in test if the reduced flow would calm my few remaining CAs) and they fit a bit deep and tickled and vibrated etc, until it work me thoroughly (0.0 AHI after 3.5 hours of good sleep at that point) and required switching pillows. Also it was leaking around the pillows or the pillow was not fully snapped on the filter base and something was leaking -- not bad enough to be a serious problem or to really bad leak numbers but a lot more than usual. This made a SMALL noise that was finally discernable from the P10.

2) Slept so soundly the rest of the night that my pillow pushed the head gear into my face on one side leaving mask strap marks.

Note: The strap marks aren't really due to the Airfit strap pressing on its own but the pressure of the pillow. The other side of my head had no marks.

I guess I need a Pad-A-Cheek or Strap Cozy or some such if I am not going to turn over for long periods.

Prior to CPAP, I was waking up to turn about every 1-2 hours.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure what causes the difference between the 2 masks when one nostril is clogged. I guess it must have something to do with the configuration or air capacity or something - the pillow for the Pilairo seems to have a higher volume due to the wings that wrap around the nose. The noise/whistling issue might have to do with the venting as the P10 vents right from the frame behind the cushion, whereas the Pilairo vents off the elbow.

Like you said, there are a lot of similarities between them. Main difference is the Pilairo wrap around pillow and the P10 having multiple pillow sizes.

As for strap marks, some nights I am getting some from the P10. The strap on it does feel tighter than the Pilairo strap. The marks are on the sides and back of the head (might not be noticeable on others, but I see/feel them on my bald head). They go away within an hour. At times, I do feel some pressure on the cheek from the pieces that come out from the frame that the fabric strap goes over and attaches to. Usually doesn't really bother me, but did when I was congested. These are really 2 minor issues that can easily be lived with.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear:

I have been so far claiming NO STRAP marks from the Airfit -- last night was different but it was due to lying on the strap all night long, not due to strap tightness (no marks on other side.)

Also, the whistling last night was first of it's kind -- and due to either a misplaced pillow or the pillow popping slightly loose from the screen base (my fault).

Didn't notice that until I was already up to swap pillows.

Point of my message was that there are VERY FEW issues -- and full disclosure of this unusual situation in case someone else is seeing these and blaming them on the mask.

Question: How many days of comparison do you have with the "single nostril" deal? Could be a different level of congestion and randomly making one of the masks look better or worse.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the confusion HerbM, for the whistling comment, I was referring back to the whistling that I was getting when one nostril is clogged and not to what you were getting.

I've had the congestion in a single nostril with the AirFit on 3 nights now, so not a lot of data yet. The partial congestion is a common issue for me and in a couple of straight weeks using the Pilairo, I never noticed any issues. As well, on one night when I couldn't get the Airfit to work with it, the switch over to the Pilairo without doing anything to try to clear the congestion, I was able to breathe fine with just the one clear side.

Summary of my limited experience to date:
I like both of them and they are quite comparable.
- The AirFit is lighter and has a longer lighter hose on the mask side, it also has less irritation.
- I like the headgear on the Pilairo a little better (it is 'stretchier' and looser)
- I like the frame on the AirFit better - smaller, lighter
- For me, the Pilairo works better with partial congestion
- I've removed the AirFit while asleep and haven't with the Pilairo - but I don't know if that really had anything to do with either mask or some external factor.
- Both are very quiet and very diffused venting (note: that is for the Pilairo Q with the filter, not the Pilairo without the filter- that one has a strong vent wind)

I'm going to stick with the AirFit for the next week and then give an update on my thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
All good info Skram.

It baffles me how the two masks would work differently for "1 occluded nostril" but I have had that problem (pre-CPAP) as well, quite often in fact so if there is something to be learned or some special value in the Pilairo then it would be nice to know about that.

Pre-CPAP, I used to swap sides to sleep, depending on which nostril was blocked. The blockage would (usually) drain to the "low side" and then I would roll over.

Frequently the blockage would not drain but spread to both sides and it would be necessary to breath through my mouth with the result being dry mouth and discomfort enough to wake or keep me awake.

Stopping this effect is actually one of my biggest IMMEDIATE benefits from CPAP (long term health reasons are more important for continuing CPAP due those are not something that we experience each day.)

Prior to ordering the P10, I was SERIOUSLY considering a Pilairo -- the the point there was a guy on eBay who would have sold me a "parts kit" very cheaply (a FULL parts kit Smile since eBay doesn't allow selling masks as such.)

I have a hybrid nasal-pillow and oral (FFM???) mask shipping now, due this week. I will get another nearly free mask in about 90 days I suppose.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2014, 11:09 AM)Galactus Wrote: I just saw this review thread, and have posted in the main area on another like it. I am just wondering if anyone out there using the P10 has also used the nuance pro, I'd love to know how they stack up to each other. I am specifically wondering about the lack of a swivel hose on the front of the P10 vs the Nuance pro. If anyone out there has used both I hope they will come by and impart some experience.

I have and I find the AirFit superior in every way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Airfit for about 2 months now and I love it. I have noticed that in the mornings I have slight red marks on my cheeks, but that is probably from the fact that I sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,716 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,312 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,166 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,031 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,839 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,091 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,046 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.