Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10
RE: Resmed AirFit P10
Folks, I don't know if anyone will even read it, but I just posted to another thread (Marnid2014's) about how I adjust and position the P10.

It was VERY DETAILED which may sound silly for something so simple but it is my belief that this method is more effective than just randomly donning the mask.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask: 4
Headgear: 2

Pros:
  • super duper lightweight
  • super duper quiet
  • exhaust vent is well diffused, making no noise against sheets or freezing out bed partner

Cons:
  • headgear has no adjustments
  • hose from mask has no swivel
  • headgear has no adjustments
  • and the headgear does not adjust

Sadly, the Airfit P10 did not work for me. I've used only nasal pillows during my CPAP "career" and always look forward to trying a new one.

First impressions were great! The entire thing is so lightweight, a plus for any mask. Ignoring everything else, it is by far the quietest mask I have ever worn. The diffused vent is wonderful. Dang, that is such a cool idea! However, other than that, there wasn't much else I liked.

The headgear has no adjustments whatsoever. Well, other than stretching it repeatedly until it either breaks or it holds the stretch. The single band is split partway so that one bit of it goes to the top of your head and one bit goes to the back. That's it. You cannot move the straps away from your eyes or adjust for hair thickness or thinness. This lack of adjustments gave me my very first sore nose. Not inside the nostril, but the headgear had pulled the pillows so tightly, the outside of my nose had wrinkled (like I had pushed it to play "piggy") and it was tender most of the day.

I stretched the crapola out of the headgear hoping to keep that from happening again. It did, but not well enough. Now it started coming off. It was still tight, but it came off at least twice a night. And why not? There was nothing to hold it on but that tiny strap.

Coming off of the mask, inside the strap, was a flexible piece of plastic. On the second or third night, for some reason (my stretching it maybe?), that bit of plastic dug into my cheek bone. Yay. Fix the nose, now another sore spot. Granted, I have sensitive skin but, come on! It was as if the Airfit was committing slow suicide.

Okay, Paula, enough with the headgear. We get it. You didn't like it. What about the mask itself? The pillow part?

Oh, now that I liked! Lightweight and quiet. Nasal pillows are getting more and more lightweight which is both a blessing and a curse. Lightweight means they are more easily dislodged. And the designers made dislodging easier not only with stoopid headgear, but with a mask hose that had no swivel. Just comes straight out the mask. I woke up a lot to readjust the mask since it had been pulled aside by the hose when I had moved.

The quiet part, ResMed designers deserve a Nobel Peace Prize. Seriously. No more noise when the exhaust hits the sheets, covers, or pillow. No more freezing out the partner. And it is so freaking quiet! I love love love that part!

For some reason, I could not breathe out against this mask. It was extremely difficult for me. I have my EPR set to 2 and I could have changed it to 3, true. I've had similar problems with other masks. I don't have a lung condition but sometimes a mask will do that. When I switched from the Breeze to the Swift LT, I had to raise the EPR to 3 for a while until I got used to it. Some masks I don't need the EPR at all. Yeah, I'm weird.

Also, the medium pillows, the ones that fit, whistled on exhale. Drove me nuts. No, it wasn't a leak. I took them out, put them back in, did all sorts of stuff. The small and large did not whistle. I went with the small as they formed a better seal than the large. Like I said, it was as if the Airfit was committing slow suicide with me.

One thing to keep in mind: my experience with this mask will not be your experience. A lot of people absolutely love this mask. And I'm happy for them. It's just not the mask for me. A review is just one's opinion and does not mean that's the way it is forever amen.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 10:43 AM)herbm Wrote: Folks, I don't know if anyone will even read it, but I just posted to another thread (Marnid2014's) about how I adjust and position the P10.

It was VERY DETAILED which may sound silly for something so simple but it is my belief that this method is more effective than just randomly donning the mask.

Herb, the link to a post is the little number in the right hand corner of each post. You can right click it, copy link location or whatever, and then paste it wherever.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice review Paula. Thanks for reading the directions on how to properly post a review. I really appreciate that - it's a nice refreshing change to actually see reviews in the Product Reviews Forum, and on top of that, it was done by a reviewer who actually read the stickie at the top of this forum on how to properly do a review.

Ok, off my soapbox now... Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I Sleep-well o waking up because my pillow mask got stuck in the pillow. Can move from side to side at night no problem. Grin Sleep-on-pillow4Good-work

I have just purchased new resmed autoset S9 in a bundle my airfit p 10 came with it.
really like it because it has "for her sizes" the others did not fit that well. sorry cant remember the names.
There is nothing I don't like about it,except they could have put the size bit bigger bit hard to see late at night.

have tried 4 masks / pillow before this one.
hope this review is good
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI:

As far as we have determined, other than being Pink (instead of Blue), the "for her" P10 has an X-small pillow set and no Large set -- and no other differences.

Apparently the head band is the same size. Women have smaller heads on average but more hair so I guess the designers figure it would even out.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I am ready to write what I would call a preliminary assessment of the P10.

Out of the box one is impressed by the very low profile and the extreme light weight - In my "limited" experience of masks, this is by far the lightest I have ever handled, and that includes O2 masks that I use daily at work, which are very light weight.

Venting is a dream - air is diffused and very quiet, no discomfort for the self or the bed partner at all, and the "throw" of the air stream is extremely short, less than 7 cm before being completely diffused. Similarly, there is little noise, with a caveat which I shall get to in a moment.

At first I was put off by the fact that there is no swivel for the hose, but with such a light weight, flexible hose (and yes, even the hose is lighter than my reference model, the Swift FX) it is practically not necessary. Again, there is a caveat, to be mentioned later.

The hose is shorter than the same hose for the FX or LX, so be warned, if you hang your main 22cm tube, that you will need to adjust its position a bit to meet the P10 hose.

The nose piece is quite comfortable, but it's shape means that the designers had either Clara Bow or Angelina Jolie in mind when they moulded it, and it naturally forms a sort of pout shape, and I found my lips pouting in response. On the other hand, removing the nose piece for cleaning is a snap.

The head strap is pants, no other way to say it - yes, it is light weight, yes it is simple, but it is also not really adjustable at all - while they claim that moving the split strap in different direction once on the head can adjust the tension, it is is obviously so minor an adjustment that I certainly couldn't feel the difference, leaving me with a single tension level on the mask, causing it to push a bit hard on my nose at first. So that needs a major rethink, IMHO (actually, Philips already HAS rethought it, bringing out a model so similar to the Resmed P10 that it may be patent infringement, but with a far more sensible head strap).

So now to the caveats - yes, little noise in the venting, but a distinct whistle during the inbreath (or as one intrepid reporter here has noted, the outbreath) - changing the nasal pillow size seems to alleviate it a bit, for me it was a drop from L to M, for her from M to S. I assume this has to do with size of the cavity on the chamber changing the acoustics according to the force of the user's breath.

Caveat two is if you, like, tacked your hose to the wall over your head and ran the mask hose up over your head to it (in my case, attached to the head band), you are sort of out of luck - the short hose of the P10 means that the 22 cm main hose will have to come down a lot farther, far enough to hit you on the head, so you would need a hose holder around level to your chest to keep it out of the way - I solved it with a boom mic stand, but the Hose-Buddy is probably your friend here.

It is comfortable enough to be pretty unnoticeable -I had no problem with the pillows shifting - they stayed in pretty firmly and there was no leakage, and the mask stayed in place through all my tossing and turning. For me it is a keeper, but your feelings may vary - it is a step up in many ways from the FX, certainly because the venting works way better, but I would venture to say the FX head strap allows for more and finer adjustment. That said, I always had a slightly sore spot on the top of my head form the FX head strap's top loop, and I do not from the soft cloth strap of the P10. But still, for all that, the head strap and whistling seem to me to be the weak points and need to be addressed. For me the big relief is that I don't have to do any modding to get the mask to behave in a way I can live with, unlike the FX, and the extreme light weight and compactness makes it a dream for travelling.

A perfect mask? Not at all. A step up? For me at least, yes. Others here have made strong cases for the pros and cons, and I think if you read them together with my review you may come up with an idea of how you might like to give it a go.
Post Reply Post Reply
A little FYI - just got a call from my contacts that got me the P10 - my written report and comments (which summed up as well many of the comments and complaints here from all youse guys) has been happily passed on up the chain at ResMed. Several of the points (the head strap, the whistling, etc) are being seriously examined in light of my report and consideration is already being made on redesigns, probably for the next, improved generation.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do people like the new Resmed AirFit N10 and F10?
ordered both masks the day they were announced and I'm on the fence about both. I like the N10 because I can get a good seal with no leaks - even though I have a beard and mustache - but it does put a lot of pressure on my upper lip. I wish it had a gel lining and/or a swivel system to adjust the angle of the mask, in order to cushion the pressure on the upper lip. Personally, I preferred the design of the Swift FX Nano nasal mask (less frame and hard plastic than the AirFit N10) but, like many others have mentioned, it tends to pull upwards against the bottom of the nose, causing indentations and pain. So while the N10 has much more of a frame than the Nano, it seems to achieve a better fit for me.

As for the AirFit F10 full-face mask, it's fairly comfortable and less cumbersome than other full face masks I've tried, but I can't achieve a good seal below my lower lip due to my beard (even though I've trimmed it very short), so I'm having a bad time with leaks. I've had the same issue with the other full face masks I've tried and was hoping this one would be the exception to the rule.

I'm curious what others' experiences have been with both of these new masks and would appreciate any fitting tips!

Many thanks!
ResMed S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
ResMed S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
ResMed Swift FX™ Nasal Pillow Mask
TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Improved Stability Mouthpiece

Post Reply Post Reply
If you can use the N10 (nasal) why not just use the P10 pillow?

Mustache should be as little or less trouble than the nasal I bet.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,691 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,301 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,155 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,008 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,820 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,071 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,035 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.