Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10
RE: Resmed AirFit P10
(11-13-2014, 11:30 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 10:58 AM)herbm Wrote: Personally, I don't mind the 'stick' whether a new or old phenomenom.

Stick prevents movement, movement causes irritation. Smile

I have learned a lot of good stuff about the P10 from you specifically and some others in general, but in this case specifically I find that the stick causes me paid. For some reason on the first day I notice the pillows stick they irritate me. No that's really not right... hmmm in words it's hard to explain, it seems that at the bottom inside of my nostrils they seem to stick, and that morning when I remove the mask it almost pulls the skin off the inside of my nose and then there's almost no going back for me. Just my experiences for what they're worth.

i am late responding to this.

Actually I AGREE -- the 'stick' makes the pillows a chore to remove, thus the reason for my complicated explanation of how I get them off/out in the morning.

By working them gently in a comfortable direction -- and seldom in the exact same direction -- they come away comfortably.

It helps to do this BEFORE irritation is noticeable.

Also, the 'stick' WILL cause discomfort if they is 'stick AND movement' -- i.e., constant pulling the pillows loose just about the time they get well stuck and without being careful of direction and to first break the seal in an acceptable manner.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
After almost a year, and being "P10 Boy" I learned something new about the P10.

At least a few of you (especially those who modified the headgear) probably already know this and maybe it has been posted but I don't recall seeing the information.

The headgear is DESIGNED to be easily removable.

A DME shipped me a new P10 with NO HEADGEAR. This is of course pretty stupid since it is primarily the headgear (and the pillows) which wear out.

I needed to obtain an old headgear from one of my other masks to use the stupid thing.

It LOOKED like some type of 'clamping mechanism' held the cloth strap to the plastic mask stiffeners on the mask. WRONG!!!!

The little 'catch' actual inserts into a hole in the cloth sheath. It comes off and goes back on very easily once you see how this hole forms a little noose to hold it on the catch.

In any case, I am comfortably using an OLD, stretched out headgear that the giant puppy chewed almost completely in two. Despite this being QUITE LOOSE it is probably as good or better a fit than the stock mask which SEEMS to fit me perfectly. (I am just lucky that way. Smile )
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 09:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(12-08-2014, 11:54 AM)Galactus Wrote: .... Since you indicate that you like the nasal pillow design above the ffm ...

I didn't mean to give that impression. I'd be quite happy using a FFM all the time, except that they tend to leak a lot at higher pressures (I'm always in the high teens / low twenties). I gave the P10 a go, but found it actually leaked very substantially worse that the Quattro Air, and also seemed to be operating at a higher pressure (which probably didn't help with the leaks). On the plus side, it was very good at eliminating congestion.

Despite the best efforts of the Mad Monk's government, we still have a pretty good health system here in Oz - in all things except sleep apnea. Health insurance only provides a small rebate against the cost of a machine (typically $500) and nothing against masks, accessories or consumables. So I won't be able to try the various other pillows types you mentioned. I'll stick with my Quattro Air, which always gives me a smiley face (despite the occasional leak) and AHIs typically around 1.0 or below.

I'm also high teens low 20's, and I know what you mean. I find very low leaks with the P10 for me. I might not have made it if ffm were all I could use, but I know where you are coming from. I also understand the issue with mask costs, I'm sure you're aware but it bears mentioning that quite a few of the suppliers will allow a return on a mask within 30 days so while using a mask you like you could get one and try it for fit and exchange it till you find the right one. Though that may not be the case in Oz, and US shipping may be cost prohibitive.

(12-09-2014, 09:19 AM)herbm Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 11:30 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 10:58 AM)herbm Wrote: Personally, I don't mind the 'stick' whether a new or old phenomenom.

Stick prevents movement, movement causes irritation. Smile

I have learned a lot of good stuff about the P10 from you specifically and some others in general, but in this case specifically I find that the stick causes me paid. For some reason on the first day I notice the pillows stick they irritate me. No that's really not right... hmmm in words it's hard to explain, it seems that at the bottom inside of my nostrils they seem to stick, and that morning when I remove the mask it almost pulls the skin off the inside of my nose and then there's almost no going back for me. Just my experiences for what they're worth.

i am late responding to this.

Actually I AGREE -- the 'stick' makes the pillows a chore to remove, thus the reason for my complicated explanation of how I get them off/out in the morning.

By working them gently in a comfortable direction -- and seldom in the exact same direction -- they come away comfortably.

It helps to do this BEFORE irritation is noticeable.

Also, the 'stick' WILL cause discomfort if they is 'stick AND movement' -- i.e., constant pulling the pillows loose just about the time they get well stuck and without being careful of direction and to first break the seal in an acceptable manner.

hey HerbM, better late than never :d For me, I have tried every possible way of removing the nasal pillows and no matter what I do I eventually get to the point that they irritate me. I'm convinced (or have convinced myself) that there is some coating on the pillow that is wearing off, and once gone no matter what I do it sticks to me and the only way to resolve it, for me, is to change the pillows.

Just to try and clarify, I can go 3-6 weeks with no issues, the pillows go on and off smooth and easy. Then one morning they sort of semi stick to my nose. Then progressively over the next few days they stick more and more till no matter what I do they stick and cause painful irritation. I change the pillow and I am back to non stick.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder, this is the REVIEW forum, not a DISCUSSION forum. If you have anything other than review statements or clarifications to make, it does not belong here.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like any opinions one might have regarding functionality of the product falls in the "review" category; please correct me if this is not the case, but that is about all I am seeing here, is what people are taking away from their experiences with this product, which seems like the entire point of the thread, and this particular forum.

Back to the swivel; having switched from Swift FX to P10 NPs, I now know one thing I did not like about the swivel on the FX, which is you lay on one side, and it flops down on that side. Then when you turn over to lay on the other side, it is still flopped the wrong way, and you have to manually manage that, which is something that can wake you. Not what we had in mind.

With the non-swivel, the hose can go right over the top of your head, and then when you switch sides, it mostly follows your movement, preventing that annoying wakeup to flop the hose back over.

That gives the P10 a lot of points for convenience and usability, at least over the FX.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. I found also that the exhale on the FX Swivel was such that it created an almost constant flow of air, and cold air for that matter. No matter where I placed that swivel it would inevitably blow on me, my hands, my face, my chest, etc. That constant blowing made it a nuisance. By contrast the diffuser on the P10 does not blow in that manner and makes sleeping with it much easier even at higher pressure. The lack of a swivel though does create positions where the hose could kink, even though it is thin and light and difficult to make happen it can happen. I think possibly a ball swivel as was mentioned might help that but then again it could also make for a leaky area.

All I can really say is of the 5 or so masks I have used so far this one seems the lightest, with the best overall fit, and the most comfort that I have used. It gives me a good night of rest and the least aggravation. Except those rare occasions where it causes nose irritation. But I have managed to overcome those days when it happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a ball swivel could be made to not leak in the same way that the pillows don't leak once there is airflow. IOW, the pressure would cause the ball to seat tightly enough to prevent leakage. Get slippery enough Teflon working in there, and you're golden.

I was complaining a couple weeks ago on the main forum about how I thought the algorithm of the S9 for EPR was all wrong, in that it felt like it was waiting for me to start exhaling before the pressure would drop, and that caused a moment of resistance until it caught up and got with the program. Only slightly annoying, but just not as smart or perfect as I would have expected it to be.

Well now, with the P10s, I do not notice that anymore, so maybe it was not the S9 at all, but the design of the Swift FX. Hard to know, but the P10 seems to not have this issue, meaning its design works with S9 EPR better than the FX, at least at a straight 8 pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found the nose irritation many complain about with the pillow masks is a non issue with a dab of NasoGel around each nostril before going to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2014, 09:15 PM)OffroadToy Wrote: I've found the nose irritation many complain about with the pillow masks is a non issue with a dab of NasoGel around each nostril before going to bed.

Maybe this sort of post is what Paula was trying to tell us about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 12:53 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 09:15 PM)OffroadToy Wrote: I've found the nose irritation many complain about with the pillow masks is a non issue with a dab of NasoGel around each nostril before going to bed.

Maybe this sort of post is what Paula was trying to tell us about.

Don't know, imho any posts that help people seem relevant, not all of us can read all the posts in every thread, and if someone is reading this review and has an issue like that with this mask then this post could certainly help them. That's of course just my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,718 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,313 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,170 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,033 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,840 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,093 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,046 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.