Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask
RE: Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask
The silicone masks often seal better looser so the cushion can inflate to stop leaks, the mask floats on your face

This is the review forum so may be better to take your mask fit Questions to the Main Forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks!
I want to remind you that this thread is for Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask REVIEWS ONLY.  For any other discussion, please start a thread in the Main forum.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using the AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask memory foam cushion on Feb 27 as an experiment to address leaks with accompanying vibrations of the silicone membrane of the AirFit F20 silicone membrane cushion.  The membrane functioned as a reed on a wind instrument (e.g. a clarinet) would.  Leaks were small and did not register on OSCAR, but the vibrations would awaken me.  I would feel them mostly on the surface of my cheeks just below my cheekbones.

I also use a mandibular advancement device.  I'd kind of like to get rid of it, but for now all indications are that it is contributing to keeping my airway open.  Because it forces my lower jaw forward, it also undoubtedly contributes to changing the shape of my face, perhaps helping to create a larger depression under my cheekbones where the vibrations were occurring.   Dont-know 

The AirTouch has been quite remarkable.  As others have reported, the air pressure inside the mask doesn't do quite as good a job of pushing the cushion material up against the face to create the desired seal.  I do believe air pressure does still work to that effect, just not a efficiently.  So the straps of the head gear have to do more to help create the seal.  In other words, the straps of the head gear have to be slightly tighter than with the AirFit, but this does not create problems for me.  The memory foam molds to the contours of my face better. Leaks are not totally eliminated, but when they do occur the memory foam doesn't vibrate against my cheek.  Instead I notice them, if at all, as cool air escaping from under the cushion seal.  And they still don't register on OSCAR unless I have turned to my side and pushed the whole mask akilter. 

A side benefit for me of the AirTouch is that the memory foam is much more comfortable against my face.  When I wake up, I sometime forget I've got it on.  Occasionally with the silicone membrane it would feel like the edges of the membrane were like knives cutting into my skin. And, if I failed to shave immediately before bed, the beard stubble and silicone membrane would rub together to create irritated (even raw at times) places on my face, especially just below the corners of my mouth.  

So far I have been cleaning the cushion by wiping the entire cushion down with Respura™ CPAP Mask Wipes.  I obtained a 2-month supply of these from my DME suppler for $10.  After one week I see no deterioration in the memory foam. Because of the expense I will probably pursue other options, but for now am operating under the understanding that immersing and soaking in water or exposure to detergents would be hard on the foam.  Others are reporting success with more aggressive techniques. My insurance covers a new cushion once a month, so as long as the memory foams lasts at least that long I will be very happy.  

Others have noted that the frame and headgear for the AirTouch cushion is the same as that for the AirFit.  This made it easy for me to experiment with this change.  Kudos to the manufacturer and the design engineers for this integration.  

I went from a medium AirFit cushion to a medium AirTouch cushion.  Thanks to those that have reported that the memory foam appears to impact the effective size of the sealing surface.  I will discuss this with my DME supplier before I get my next cushion.  

And thanks to all those that have made the forum such a wonderful resource.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up review

See original review:  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid330765

After a few months with the AirTouch I think I'd revise my rating down half a star. When this mask works well, it is very good indeed. However, after 4 or 5 weeks it deteriorates rapidly and leaks badly. Some random thoughts
  • When new and adjusted properly the AirTouch F20 is comfortable and seals like a bank vault.
  • The headgear does have to be quite tight to achieve an effective seal. This can be uncomfortable as one of the straps bears on a fibromyalgia trigger point.
  • The mask leaves very deep lines on my face  I've visibly aged 10 years since using it.
  • I have noticed an increase in aerophagia since using this mask, possibly due to the very good seal and small exhaust port at the elbow.
  • As the mask ages the cushion does not visibly deteriorate, but leaks become almost impossible to control, accompanied by farts and bugling noises. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the helpful review posts, everyone!
I have been using a total face mask for some time and really like it, but I may have to give it up due to the possibility of glaucoma, which is a potential problem when the eyes are inside a mask. So, I'm looking at alternatives in the full face category. My primary reason for going to a total face mask in the first place was the serious damage occurring to my nose bridge with a standard full face. with silicone seal.
How would you compare nose bridge pressure applied by the AirTouch vs AirFit cushions?

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't understand eyes under the mask.  Air fit twenty doesn't cover the eyes.  Been using CPAP for 32 years with various lab tests and equipment.  Use "Full Face" Air Fit Twenty which only covers nose and mouth because I am a mouth breather.  Two things have made recent AHI's mostly under five and AI's down to 1 or 2, reduced pressure (now 18-12  was up to 25 in) and the Air Fit 20 with cloth cover.  Doctors thought I needed really high pressures because my apnea is severe but it blew out the mask, causing lots of noise and mask leaks.  I have tested repeatedly three versions of the mask, the one with the soft foam edge (doesn't help me) and plain mask, and the mask with a Pad-a-Cheek cover.  For a time I cut my own cloth covers but it was a pain.  I have two such covers so one can dry when I wash the other.  This morning my AHI was 3.2 -- used to be in the teens and twenties.  One more important point, I have an ASV machine and that made dramatic difference from a bi-pap. Not sleeping well is really suffering -- been there for years, so I wish you the best in getting the adjustments you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my review.

I ordered this mask because my current model (Fisher & Paykel FlexFit HC 432) was leaking too much. Although I've used it many years, my facial shape has apparently changed with age & weight loss. Some about me: I'm a nose/mouth breather and a restless sleeper who moves a lot in sleep and sleeps on both sides & back during the same night. I use higher pressures 15-20 as I was diagnosed at 87, 12 years ago. 

I picked this mask because I thought it would be good for me as I'd seen some information that the memory foam might be helpful for leaks (after I ordered it , I saw complaints here from some people about leaks.) 

Unfortunately this mask didn't work for me.  I woke frequently during the night, feeling I couldn't breath with the bottom part of the mask flat against my chin and the machine stopped. When I pulled slightly at the chin area of the mask, it reinflated and my apap machine started up again. Looking at Oscar, it seems I had 6 apnea events of greater than 30 second duration which is why my machine went to autoshut off. I've tried a number of masks over the years but I've never experienced prolonged apnea spells over 30 seconds which caused my machine to shut off. The memory foam in the cushion did not stop the leaks. Today I'm mailing this mask back and exchanging it for another.

What I Liked:
- the headgear and mask itself are very comfortable to wear
- the mask is lighter and smaller than many full face masks
- lack of forehead support means it is more comfortable
- the magnets make it easy to put on & off. (Note neither myself or my husband has any implanted devices ie. pacemaker. Do NOT chose this mask if you or your sleeping partner have an implanted device as the magnets can interfere with them).

What I Did Not Like:
- although the cushions are very comfortable, I worry about their durability and ongoing costs. (I know many people don't follow the suggested 1 monthly replacement schedule)
- bad leaks for me. Your mileage may vary depending on your facial shape. For me, it didn't work and the leaks were so prolonged, my machine shut off automatically 6 times in one night

For me, I've decided to break down my rating into several groups as I can't really come up with a single rating that captures my experience with this mask.

COMFORT: 5 stars, the most comfortable full face mask I've ever tried. It is easy to put on & off. (Keep in mind, this is the first newer model I've tried)
DURABILITY: 2.5 stars. Although I'm not able to keep this mask long term, I worry about the durability of the cushions. For some, this may not be an issue. 
LEAKS: 0 This is the worst experience I've ever had with a mask in 12 years. However, it may work for you as facial shape affecting mask fit is highly individual.

If you are considering this mask, I strongly suggest you purchase from a mask vendor who allows returns or exchanges in as your masks leaks like mine did.
Airsense 10, Vitera face mask, Foam Cervical Collar, Silent Nights mask liners 
Canadian, diagnosed OSA in 2008 with 87 AHI pressure 16-20
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using the AirTouch a few days ago. The first time I used it my AHI figure was way up, but it's come down now, so I assume that was a fluke.

I find the foam cushion hugely more comfortable than the silicone one in general, even though I have to tighten the mask a bit more to get a good seal. Even at best the seal isn't as good as the silicone version, but I think it's good enough. I think it seals better than the silicone cushion with a liner, and I need to use a liner, because I can't tolerate silicone against my face for any length of time.

The venting (from the new-design elbow) is quieter than any other mask I've tried.

As others have commented, I find the foam cushion tends to pinch my nose shut, making me breath through my mouth more. I think this is only a problem when I'm awake, because my mouth falls open when I'm asleep anyway.

The cushion touches the bottom of my eye sockets, but the silicone one did that as well. Neither is as bad in this area as other masks I've tried. I don't like the feel of the cushion in that area, but I don't think a smaller mask would be any good -- I have a wide nose and mouth.

I can't comment on the lifespan or ongoing costs, because I haven't had it long enough. It certainly has the potential to be ruinously expensive, if I find that I have to change the cushion frequently. Time will tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate this mask, no doubt about it.

It was my first mask recommended to me two years ago when I started therapy. Its bulky and intrusive. I am a sized medium and no matter how loose or tight I adjust the straps the seal will always break if I turn even the slightest side to side during sleep waking me up. Reducing condensation with this mask is almost impossible regardless of what climate settings I use or tube sleeve. Sometimes when I have a sinus infection I cannot use my nasal pillow mask and attempt to use this mask and it is pointless. My mouth opens regardless and will dry out because I crank up the humidity too much the mask rains out waking me up. My biggest gripe is the aforementioned sealing issue, no matter the adjustment it will leak and wake me up.

I would not recommend this mask to a new user at all, it almost made me give up on therapy all together.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 658 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,682 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,012 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,298 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,222 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,816 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face SarcasticDave94 7 6,234 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Mutineer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.