Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review
Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review
Disclaimer: I have so far used this mask for just three nights and have experience of only one other mask.

I needed a new cushion for my Resmed Mirage Quattro FX. I have used this model for a number of years.  I use FF masks because I have chronic sinus issues which means I struggle to breathe through my nose. I trialled several masks during the fisrt few weeks of CPAP therapy before settling on the Mirage Quattro FX, though with hindsight, I now know that my lack of CPAP experience was a limiting factor. Nevertheless, I have been quite happy with my mask so far.

However, it has become been increasingly difficult to buy replacement parts (or masks) and the prices have been exorbitant here in Oz, hence my decision to give the F20 a go.

So far, so mixed.

The good:

1. A lot cheaper than the MQ FX.
  2. Relatively simple construction means strip-down for cleaning is simplified.
  3. The design of the exhaust has REALLY reduced the noise generated. It is so quiet that I had to feel around the mask for the first couple of nights, wondering where the air was actually exhausting. This is a very welcome improvement over the Mirage Q FX.
  4. The lower straps sit higher than on the MQ FX. This means they no longer rub between my ear and the side of my head, as the MQ FX straps would do once they had stretched a little.
The not so good:

1. The cushion material is much stiffer than that used on the MQ FX and this makes achieving a good seal MUCH harder.
  2. The construction of the cushion is simpler, lacking the MQ FX's multi-layer design, again making it harder to get a good seal.
  3. The aforementioned issues with sealing (so far at least) mean I am using much tighter straps than I am used to. This is creating soreness on the bridge of my nose.
  4. The 'simplified' strip-down in fact results from the fact that the cushion doesn't appear to be separate from the frame and the elbow/valve assembly likewise cannot be taken apart. While this means fewer parts for cleaning, I am a little concerned that (a) cushion failure will mean replacing the whole mask and (b) it is impossible to easily air-dry the exhaust valve separate from the elbow after washing.
It's early days so I plan to persevere, though my nose is so sore at the moment that I might go back to the MQ FX for a night or two. I will try to update this thread when I have a few more nights under my wheels.

If anybody else has experience of this mask and would like to share their thoughts, please go ahead.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review
Well, after around one week of use, things have improved a little. I have managed to slacken the straps slightly without causing leaks, though as with other masks, finding a combination of upper and lower strap tension that works requires a little patience and experimentation.

I have also managed to reduce the pain on the sides/bridge of my nose through the same reduction in strap tension, plus using a Resmed 'Gecko' nasal pad. I hope to be able to slacken the straps a little more and do without the pad, because it's a fiddly thing to position and keep in place while fitting the mask.

I am still very pleased with the quietness of the mask vents, as is Mrs Wife!
Post Reply Post Reply
The cushion (seal and clear plastic shell) does actually separate from the frame. You need to disconnect the elbow first.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2019, 02:27 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: The cushion (seal and clear plastic shell) does actually separate from the frame. You need to disconnect the elbow first.

Thanks. I realise that. I was mostly surprised that the cushion doesn't separate from the mask for cleaning, or replacement if it gets damaged. With the F20, a cushion failure means more of the mask has to be replaced. This makes them even more expensive than my Quattro FX cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
F20 cushions are $22 at Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip. That's less than half what I would pay here in Oz, allowing for currency exchange charges and including the shipping. Once again, the dreaded 'Australia Tax' inflates the price to ridiculous proportions.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s expensive from DME’s in the USA too, even some of the online vendors.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 657 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,682 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,298 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,150 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,221 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,986 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,123 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.