Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed Converter with Jackery Explorer 160 Battery
Resmed Converter with Jackery Explorer 160 Battery
I recently used a ResMed Air10 DC/DC Converter 90W (model 37003, product #37297) and a Jackery Explorer 160 portable power station to power a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset during a short off-the-grid camping trip.  This setup worked perfectly, with one capacity caveat noted below.

Jackery's website states that the Explorer 160 should not be used to power CPAP machines, instead recommending a significantly larger and more expensive model.

I found the Explorer 160 had plenty of juice for 2 full nights (approx. 7 hrs per night), with 20% capacity remaining after the second night.  I was able to recharge the battery after the second night back to 45% capacity from a car's 12V cigarette lighter with the vehicle idling for an hour.  That gave me enough juice for 7-1/2 hrs the 3rd night, with 5% capacity remaining.

I used the Explorer 160's 12V DC output to power the ResMed converter, which in turn delivered 24V DC to the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset's input.  To minimize power usage, I turned humidification and temperature off.  The Autoset operated in APAP mode, with pressure settings of 8.0 min to 16.0 max and EPR 2 full time.  Average pressure (IPAP) for the 3 nights was 11.02 (average EPAP = 9.02).  As far as I could tell, the therapy provided by this setup seemed identical to the therapy I receive using normal AC power.

I purchased the ResMed converter from Supplier #1 and the Explorer 160 through Mr. Bezos' company, fulfilled by Jackery itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Converter with Jackery Explorer 160 Battery
Looks like a nice 4-pound solution for $149 on Amazon, but I might take the advise to opt for the larger Explorer 240 at $249 (6.6 lbs) for the additional capacity. The question is, how will long-term durability be if you continue to draw the battery to near-zero capacity. I would want to keep the charge state above 50% to avoid potential damage. In addition the 240 is supposed to provide a pure sine wave vs the square wave of the 160. This might be better for the CPAP. Good lead, thanks, and hope you will continue to update your experience here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right Sleeprider, as usual!  The capacity of the Explorer 160 is sufficient for a couple of nights off the grid, but additional nights seem to require at least some recharging, and the lack of a true sine wave is also less than ideal.

I chose the Explorer 160 instead of the 240 for two reasons: (i) the 160 is $100 less expensive, and (ii) the 240 is too powerful to be carried on commercial flights or put in checked baggage in the U.S.  TSA regs prohibit transporting uninstalled lithium-ion batteries (including power stations/chargers) of any size in checked baggage, but allow lithium ion batteries up to 100 watt-hours to be carried on.  With the relevant airline's consent, a passenger may carry on up to 2 lithium ion batteries with capacities of 100-160 watt-hours.  Since I was flying to and from my camping destination (and not having a private jet at my disposal), I was limited in the capacity of the battery I could take with me.  Arguably I shouldn't even have taken the 160 on board my flights since it has a 167 watt-hour rating, but it cleared TSA's inspection both coming and going.

Here's the link to TSA's FAQ on batteries carried by airline passengers:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea...teries.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent reasoning AndyB! Thanks for the review.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Jackery Explorer 290 and a Dream Station2 CPAP.  I also have a power cord device that has a cigarette connector to attach to the Jackery and the plug that fits the Dream Station2 with an output of 19.5 volts.  Is that voltage too high?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed machines operate on 24 volts DC. When using a 12-14 volt source there are Resmed DC 12 to 24 Volt converters that will deliver the correct voltage to the CPAP. I'm not certain what happens when connected to a 19.5 VDC source.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Lakeranger: As far as I know, the DreamStation 2 operates on 12 volts; I would be very hesitant to connect 1 19 volt supply to it. Just because the plugs fit, it doesn't mean everything is compatible.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery go2sleep 15 8,691 06-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Diotima245
  [Product Review] Gissaral GIS09B-AP3 lithium-ion battery pack (power bank) Fats Drywaller 4 3,037 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
Idea [Product Review] UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for CPAP - PAP Battery Kit by Phillips Respironics dk2011 2 3,995 06-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Product Review] Battery, AUDEW Portable "Generator" 220Wh/60,000mAh Gideon 3 3,267 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Thumbsup [Product Review] Battery Powered! mjbearit 23 14,678 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Last Post: GeoffD
  [Product Review] RPSII Resmed battery pack Laevelder 2 4,442 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: mmcbath1492
  [Product Review] ResMed 12/24 volt DC Converter for S9 Series Machines [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 21,125 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Last Post: TorontoCPAPguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.