Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask
Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask
Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal Mask   4

The Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask in a size medium was the first mask provided to me by my DME along with my first cpap machine almost 2 months ago.  Even though I am a new user, I found this mask to be reasonably comfortable if the headgear is not too tight.  Tightening the headgear too tight will wrinkle up the replaceable softgel cushion and cause leaks.  This mask has gotten me the lowest AHI so far (avg. 2.5) of the 2 I've tried, even though I quite often experience leaks just below my eyes.  The bridge piece to the forehead pad is adjustable to change the angle of the mask, which helps reduce leaks, but the plastic is thin and my DME warned me that it is easily broken.  They also warned me that the molded slots for the quick clips to remove the headgear are also easily broken and to just undo the right lower velcro trsap on the headgear and slip the mask off over my head.  Following this advice has worked - I haven't had anything break yet at all.  After about a month the velcro on the headgear is not holding as well as it did new, but still holds adequately.  My Medium frame will also accomodate a Small cushion and silicone flap, which I tried and found that for me it leaked somewhat less than the medium size.  I also found that it leaks noisily around the swivel where the hose attaches in certain positions.  The leaks usually disappear while I sleep on my back, but they worsen as I sleep on my side and the mask gets moved sideways by my pillow.  The mask is very easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble.  After trading in my original Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask to my DME to try another nasal mask, I purchased a 2nd Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask online to keep as a spare.

I consider the mask to be a decent value at the price I paid online after a discount was applied.  It did work fairly well for me but not anywhere near perfectly well.  I liked its price very well and the way it feels on my face fairly well.  I disliked the leaks, especially the noisy leak at the swivel.  I suggest anyone using this mask to take care to adjust everything about it very carefully.

Pros - ease of cleaning, fits well, doesn't hurt my nosebridge, cheap from the right supplier
Cons - leaks around cushion, leaks around swivel
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask
Good review Twindad... I combined your two posts into one.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2012, 07:15 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Good review Twindad... I combined your two posts into one.

Thanks

Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
The swivel leak is the intentional leak..the (exhale port) most of them are noisy...You will get used to it and not even notice before long...

funny how the human brain does that.

I onced moved into a house down the street from an aluminum factory..It smelled constantly outside like a funky metallic smell...I asked a neighbor how he could stand it after living there all those years..He asked me "What smell?"

It was about a year later and I suddenly noticed I no longer noticed the smell outside myself ;p
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I'm new to all of this - only issued my cpap just three days ago. I'm using the Comfortgel Blue mask and had a tough time with it the first night. My AHI was 9.7 It leaked no matter how I set it. The second night was a bit better with adjustment of the straps - but it was too tight and my AHI was now 6.4 Last night, my third, I made sure that all of the straps were symmetrical between sides and that the swivel was set comfortably and making a nice seal. It is comfortable now and not a single leak. I mean it seals perfectly whether on my side or on my back. My AHI last night was 2.1 and I slept very peaceful. I am very happy that it is working well and I am sleeping well within only 3 nights. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I love this mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Amera gel Medium mask from respironics. I am not sure if this it the same as the above posts are refering to. I relly like mine and am very pleased with its performance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 09:10 PM)Nikos Wrote: I have an Amera gel Medium mask from respironics. I am not sure if this it the same as the above posts are refering to. I relly like mine and am very pleased with its performance.
Hi Nikos, welcome aboard
Glad you like the mask, you can write your own review in the Amara thread (link below) and give it as many stars as you wish, when comes to masks ... everyone is different http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2012, 12:17 AM)twindad Wrote: Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal Mask 4

The Respironics Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask in a size medium was the first mask provided to me by my DME along with my first cpap machine almost 2 months ago. Even though I am a new user, I found this mask to be reasonably comfortable if the headgear is not too tight. Tightening the headgear too tight will wrinkle up the replaceable softgel cushion and cause leaks. This mask has gotten me the lowest AHI so far (avg. 2.5) of the 2 I've tried, even though I quite often experience leaks just below my eyes. The bridge piece to the forehead pad is adjustable to change the angle of the mask, which helps reduce leaks, but the plastic is thin and my DME warned me that it is easily broken. They also warned me that the molded slots for the quick clips to remove the headgear are also easily broken and to just undo the right lower velcro trsap on the headgear and slip the mask off over my head. Following this advice has worked - I haven't had anything break yet at all. After about a month the velcro on the headgear is not holding as well as it did new, but still holds adequately. My Medium frame will also accomodate a Small cushion and silicone flap, which I tried and found that for me it leaked somewhat less than the medium size. I also found that it leaks noisily around the swivel where the hose attaches in certain positions. The leaks usually disappear while I sleep on my back, but they worsen as I sleep on my side and the mask gets moved sideways by my pillow. The mask is very easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. After trading in my original Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask to my DME to try another nasal mask, I purchased a 2nd Comfortgel Blue Nasal mask online to keep as a spare.

I consider the mask to be a decent value at the price I paid online after a discount was applied. It did work fairly well for me but not anywhere near perfectly well. I liked its price very well and the way it feels on my face fairly well. I disliked the leaks, especially the noisy leak at the swivel. I suggest anyone using this mask to take care to adjust everything about it very carefully.

Pros - ease of cleaning, fits well, doesn't hurt my nosebridge, cheap from the right supplier
Cons - leaks around cushion, leaks around swivel
This is the mask that came with my first respironics machine. My newer machine came with pillow that I detest. My mask do not have the quick clips ( maybe mine mask is an older model). My first machine dated back to 2007.

I concur with twindad the mask works great for me I do have the occasional red spot on the bridge of nose, but over all I am very pleased with mask. My leak rate is 4L. I did have a time when I first took the strap off to wash it I like to have never figured out how to get it back on in the right order. I now leave it on the mask when I wash it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2013, 06:53 PM)spdklls99 Wrote: The swivel leak is the intentional leak..the (exhale port) most of them are noisy...You will get used to it and not even notice before long...

I'm not sure if the OP was referring to the same thing as I am finding, but both my masks (I have a spare just in case) leak at the swivel. To be clear, while the exhaust port is on the elbow and is the intentional "leak", it is actually quite quiet. The leak that I am referring to is air escaping from the mask around the swivel itself. And that can be quite noisy, to the point of completely drowning out the sound of the CPAP machine and the other noises.

There appears to be some sort of pressure gasket that I suspect is intended to press the swivel inwards to create a seal, but against the pressures I am using, it very quickly loses function and allows leaks depending on the hose positioning. I have been contemplating taking some teflon plumbing tape and forcing it into the small gap where the swivel interlocks with the mask, but haven't tried that yet.

Other than that, I am very happy with the mask.

[ Update ]

Probably because of writing this post, I did finally get around to trying plumbers teflon tape in the swivel gap. It worked as well as I had hoped. The swivel leaks were completely eliminated. It did stiffen the swivel action sufficiently that the orientation pretty much has to be changed by hand, as opposed to it freely swiveling as I turn over, but I consider this a good thing. I aim the hose over my head, and now it pretty much stays that way without wrapping around my head & neck if I turn over a few times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,698 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,229 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,007 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,013 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 75 74,370 12-16-2021, 07:56 AM
  [Product Review] F&P Evora nasal mask yankees123 26 12,794 11-07-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,277 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.