Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Somnetics Transcend CPAP
Somnetics Transcend CPAP
I am doing a trial with the Somnetics Transcend CPAP which is new.  I have been using the FP Thermo Smart 640 for over three years with moderate sleep apnea and a Opus nose mask.  I also tried an FP Icon for a short period of time.

So far I like the Transcend very well.  It took a brief period of time to get used to the new mask and head gear (Respironics Blue Gel).  I've come to the following for me so far:  Size and Weight = super, humidification (waterless HME) = excellent, pressure and accomodation = very good.  It does seem that the unit starts in a sort of hunting/pulsing mode but by the end of the evening it is steady and seems to be breathing with me!!! but this is a CPAP...

Please let me know what your experience has been???

Thanks,

mike

ADMIN NOTE:  For the Somnetics Software for the Transcend CPAP System, go to THIS THREAD in our Private Files & Links Forum [login required].

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Somnetics Transcend CPAP
Greetings Mike,

Thank you for your review of the Transcend CPAP system. I am happy to hear that your experience has been positive. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions.

Kind Regards,
Transcend
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Mike

I have been thinking about the Transcend (Transcend Travel II?) for quite a while, so I think it must have been around for over a year. It has recently arrived in Australia, but is a great deal more expensive than the US price - so I still haven't bought one!
1. I am interested to know how you find breathing out against it's pressure, as I gather it doesn't adjust to that.
2. Also if you use it on a battery - how many hours do you get from one (and what size battery)?. I want to see if I can take fewer batteries overseas with me (eg. to where power is not available at night, for a few nights; bushcamping etc.) - using Transcend instead of my ResMed.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jandi
Post Reply Post Reply
jandi,

I previously had a Fisher and Pykel 605 which I always felt like I was fighting a bit. Although not shown in the literature anywhere the Transcend used with the HME equipped mask, has a pressure sensor tube which runs inside the hose down to the mask. So it senses the pressure at the mask. If you start it up off your face, for example, it senses it and shuts down. When it initially starts without hitting the ramp button, it seems to me like it pulses and is setting the pressure. I usually hit the ramp button at that point but when I wake up it is quite steady and I have never had the feeling I was fighting it.

I have never used it on batteries, so I can't speak to that.

My DME had a trial machine which I was able to test out for a few days before I switched. No going back for me. I got my new unit and I love it.

mike
Post Reply Post Reply
The small battery lasted 7 hours the first night and 8 hours the next night.

If you take your mask the Transcend shuts down. Hunting at startup is only for a few seconds.

My Transcend is set 3in below my normal pressure which corresponds to my Resmed's reduction in pressure when exhaling
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to Mike and TomR1 for your helpful replies. It will be so good if it turns out to use less battery power than Resmed.
Regards
jandi
Post Reply Post Reply
Jandi, I moved your post to its own thread in the Main Forum. This will ensure it gets attention and gets you answers!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
[split] Transcend
Hello to anyone who wants to read more reviews about using the Transcend when travelling, (I don't know if this is the right topic heading).

I bought my Transcend II before Christmas 2012 and now have some experience with it to tell you about. I used it for about a week at home to make sure I had the correct pressure etc and try a new mask (F&P Polairis). Then we travelled independently for 3.5 weeks in Sri Lanka, using the battery P8 due to erratic power availability. We got home 4 weeks ago and back to work the next day. I will now buy the mobile adaptor for our caravan (cigarette lighter fitting).

Firstly- I am extremely pleased with the F&P Polairis mask, now that my nostrils are used to it. No more soreness on the bridge of my nose, that I got from my old F&P Flexift. Also I can lie on my side easily.

Transcend -

* I stand it beside the bed on the lower shelf of a bedside cabinet on a piece of neoprene wetsuit material which is non-slip - so no base station required. Put it all on top of books if you want it higher off the ground.

*Sometimes whilst away we had to have it between us on the bed, as the floor was dusty.

* It is definitely not too noisy for either of us (at pressure 11.6 cm H20) even right next to your pillow. Of course it would be noisier if your mask leaks too much.

*Also I found my old Resmed tube with TubeWrap is less noisy than the Transcend tube.

*Breathing out against the pressure - at my pressure (11.6 cm H20) this is not a problem.

*I have found I do not need any humidification so can't comment about the waterless moisture system, except to say it looks like the way to go - using the moisture in your breath, I believe.

*Battery P8 - very expensive (in Australia), very light weight BUT mine only lasts 11 hours, so I am hoping they will exchange it, as it should last 16 hours. Because you can use it in line with the power point - the machine never stops - it reverts to the battery if the power stops during the night. So I never got woken up to change the power source (- and it is such a horrible way to wake up!).

Overall I am so impressed because we travel very light - backpacking. I am looking forward to using it for camping on our kayaking and bushwalking trips - so much less to carry.

I hope this info helps a few people!.

Jandi
Post Reply Post Reply
Jandi, I moved your questions to the main forum. Found here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...6#pid32276
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, PaulaO2.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Transcend EZEX CPAP Eleong2 11 18,852 07-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Eleong2
  [Product Review] Transcend travel Apap review Sinkiller 4 15,525 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eleong2
  [Product Review] [split] Transcend Auto Travel CPAP Machine with EZEX sjssf 1 8,719 05-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.