Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Tap Pap Mask
RE: Tap Pap Mask
Thank you so much for your response to my post. Your tips were helpful and an improvement on some of the steps I have been taking trying to get a more relaxed fit in my mouthpiece. This is already the 2nd version of their mouthpiece. The first one was a beige color. They claim the new mouthpiece improved stability in some of their marketing text. It's almost as if the darn thing shrinks even after you have the mold all set and done. I could wear it one night and it fits OK and the next night it's too tight and needs to be re-molded. I'm glad to see that you agree with me that this mask is exceptional in every other respect and that makes it worth putting up with the fitting problem in hopes that they will find a way to make this problem go away. I do think the company needs to hear from users though. I intend to call, e mail, and post about this issue so they know they need to keep working on it.
Sweet dreams. Is that Portland O or Portland M?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted this mask to work so badly for me and found out I couldn't wear it after I bought one online. It made my teeth hurt especially where my bridge is. Guess I got caught up in the hype. I guess one needs to have healthy teeth to use this mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am reporting back in to say that I remolded the mouthpiece over and over doing everything the company told me to do to make it fit comfortably and I just couldn't. You are advised to move it around a bit while it's setting; to re-dip it in warm water to loosen it; but no matter what, it somehow tightens up when you put it on, maybe even from the heat and moisture in your mouth....it's back to feeling so tight that you are afraid of it moving or damaging your teeth/fillings/crowns when you try to pry it out. And that's what you have to do. PRY it out.....very gingerly. I too wanted this to work so badly. The worst part is that you have 30 days to return it for a full refund and I went on vacation and totally forgot to return it. When I got back I looked at the order invoice and it had been exactly 30 days. I was pretty sure they meant that they would have to receive it back in 30 days so I didn't even try.Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently bought a Tap Pap nasal pillow mask and while I'm impressed with the design of the system, I, like others here, am having a horrible time getting the mouth piece to fit, or should I say, getting the mouth piece to maintain it's fit.

I've literally gone through the mouth piece fitting process dozens of times. The main problem I keep encountering is the same as others, above: if I get a decent fit, 24 hours later it's too tight and puts way too much pressure on my teeth. I've tried wiggling the mouthpiece during the fitting process; I've tried not sucking too hard; I've tried fitting it loosely and then immediately placing it in cool water so that it doesn't slowly shrink/tighten up over the next several hours. I've even tried keeping it in my mouth during the fitting process for something like SEVEN HOURS to keep it from shrinking! If I make it too loose, it won't support the rest of the device; if I fit it properly, it's too tight later that night or the next morning. The only solution I've come up with - and it's hit and miss - is to repeat the fitting process (placing the mouth piece in boiling water, etc.) every night which, according to the reps at the company that make the mask, I shouldn't have to do.

Does anyone here have any tips on how to both achieve and maintain a comfortable fit?

MANY thanks!
ResMed S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
ResMed S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
ResMed Swift FX™ Nasal Pillow Mask
TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Improved Stability Mouthpiece

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is unanimous that while this mask would be wonderful if the mouthpiece were stable, it simply isn't and that makes it a complete failure. The people that make this thing should acknowledge this and fix it or stop selling it. I told my dentist about it and he asked me to bring it to my next appointment (soon) and he will look at it to see if there is anyway they could make a stable mouthpiece for me. I appreciate this offer but doubt very much if he can do that.

My advice. Don't buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mouthpiece fits great. Only after 3 weeks I had to remold it again. Never slept so well. Please read the manual and the comments on this site. Probably I'm the first user in the Netherlands.

My advice. Buy. Good investment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just curious - do people on these forums ever trade/swap/sell parts (such as nasal pillows that are too big or too small) or complete masks to one another? It can get rather expensive paying full price - especially if the mask doesn't work and it can't be returned. [part of post removed, see Admin note below] Just wondering... :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2014, 12:42 PM)rsprods Wrote: I'm just curious - do people on these forums ever trade/swap/sell parts (such as nasal pillows that are too big or too small) or complete masks to one another?

Unfortunately, under current law, an organization must be a licensed Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME) in order to facilitate the sale, trade or transfer of prescription-required items like CPAP machines and masks. There is some ambiguity in the law regarding CPAP mask parts themselves, so on Apnea Board, we play the safe legal route and don't allow the sale, trade or transfer of any of these items on the forums, per our rules, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oard-Rules

Quote:Prohibited Category 2: Solicitations offering prescription required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts) for sale, trade or transfer.

I personally don't agree with the law that requires this, wish it weren't so, but we have to stay clear of legal problems here on the forums.

Thanks for your understanding.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying this for me!

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with the Wisp nose mask and even though the head band is soft and pliable, I just couldn't stand having that band on my head - it gave me headaches and i was always trying to adjust and readjust to keep it from slipping or being too tight. I then tried the TapPap without the 'harness' and it is fantastic! Getting the mouthpiece to fit took a few tries in the hot water bath to soften it and then fit to the upper jaw, but once it fit, it fit well. My dentist loves me too . . . i happen to grind my teeth and so now, the TapPap mouthpiece functions as a mouth guard somewhat. (PS: I never believed my dentist that I had bruxism - teeth grinder - until i saw the gnaw marks on the tap pap mouthpiece. lol). Anyway, even with the chew marks on the mouthpiece, I've been using the mouthpiece for about 8months so far and have not had to replace it. I do have to clean my mouthpiece every morning with toothpaste/toothbrush so it feels and 'tastes' clean when i put it in at night. Otherwise, putting a mouthpiece in after just rinsing it smells funny. I also clean my nose pillows every morning. It's all just become part of my AM routine. Good bye head straps. And ladies, if you're tired of that harness causing 'wrinkles' in your hair, i recommend trying the TapPap mouthpiece. (However, if you are a mouth breather, it probably won't work so well). Also, i am on BiPAP and this works great.

As for the ApneaBoard - thanks so much for the clinical manual on my VPAP-S. How dare the docs and techs require me to take time from my day to drive to their office, lug my machine around, just to have my settings changed. Definitely worth my donation - Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.