Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] The Contour CPAP Pillow [copied from old forum]
The Contour CPAP Pillow [copied from old forum]
jeffy1958 Wrote:1

In my HONEST opinion; 1 star is being very gracious!!!  But there is no lower rating so this will have to do for now.

I purchased this pillow, $59.99+, out of my own pocket, thinking this would be great.  I should have used those three, 20 dollar bills to start my grill!!!

This pillow has 6 points of comfort that I will address.

1.) Neck support for back and side sleeping.
    Dug in and hurt my neck and shoulders.

2.) Shoulder naturally rest in this curve for proper position and neck support.
     I'll give it that.  However; see above.

3.) Pressure free mask zone
    :lol-above:   This cutout causes your mask to hang and therfore leaking like a sieve.

4.) Head Support area.
   :lol-above: If you like sleeping on a "brick"!!!

5.) Ear comfort depression.
     Yeah - Right

6.) Inclined forehead support to keep face from rotating downward.
    I guess I didn't sleep on it long enough to find this out.

I found that 2 real feather pillows works the best.  I can make a sort of "nest" for my mask to rest in and not hang on my face.  My head is about level and it is much softer.

This pillow was way too hard for my head.  After about an hour of not falling asleep and trying to keep my mask from leaking I started to get a headache.  Sad fact is I tried to return it.  Haaa.  You can return it if you do not remove it from the sealed plastic bag it came in.  That's what "Customer Service" told me.  I'm out and my granddaughter (3) has a new pillow for her doll.  She plays with it on the livingroom floor.  She won't sleep on it she says its to hard!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
RE: The Contour CPAP Pillow [copied from old forum]
I made my own pillow out out of a good quality pillow case and POLY-FIL 100% polyester supreme fiber. It is soft, washable and non-allergenic. I have never had any luck buying a pillow that I could use, it does not matter what it is made of. What brand of feather pillows did you find?

Quote:In my HONEST opinion; 1 star is being very gracious!!! But there is no lower rating so this will have to do for now.

I purchased this pillow, $59.99+, out of my own pocket, thinking this would be great. I should have used those three, 20 dollar bills to start my grill!!!

This pillow has 6 points of comfort that I will address.

1.) Neck support for back and side sleeping.
Dug in and hurt my neck and shoulders.

2.) Shoulder naturally rest in this curve for proper position and neck support.
I'll give it that. However; see above.

3.) Pressure free mask zone
:lol-above: This cutout causes your mask to hang and therfore leaking like a sieve.

4.) Head Support area.
:lol-above: If you like sleeping on a "brick"!!!

5.) Ear comfort depression.
Yeah - Right

6.) Inclined forehead support to keep face from rotating downward.
I guess I didn't sleep on it long enough to find this out.

I found that 2 real feather pillows works the best. I can make a sort of "nest" for my mask to rest in and not hang on my face. My head is about level and it is much softer.

This pillow was way too hard for my head. After about an hour of not falling asleep and trying to keep my mask from leaking I started to get a headache. Sad fact is I tried to return it. Haaa. You can return it if you do not remove it from the sealed plastic bag it came in. That's what "Customer Service" told me. I'm out and my granddaughter (3) has a new pillow for her doll. She plays with it on the livingroom floor. She won't sleep on it she says its to hard!!!

Post Reply Post Reply

I bought this pillow when I was first starting out....I agree it was horrible....not sure where it went to now. Not among the collection of past pillows under my bed.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also purchased one at the first , tried it for a couple of nights than back into the closet with it. About 3 weeks ago I decided to give it a try again...works like a charm.
I think the problem was that I was still trying to get used to using the machine and sleeping with a mask on. Therefore I didn't give the pillow a fair chance. Now I can't be without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would give this 5 out of 5 stars.

I've had this pillow for a week now and love it. I'm a side sleeper so I can't say how it works when you sleep on your back. However, it works perfectly for sleeping on your side. The cutout on the edge works perfectly to prevent pressure on your mask so there are no mask leaks. I've read a lot of reviews where people complained about how hard the pillow is. I personally like a firm pillow & it's not uncomfortably hard. My old pillow was a tempurpedic contour pillow for side sleepers. It was so soft, my head sunk down in it so I didn't feel like my spine was in good alignment. With the firm cpap pillow my spine is in perfect alignment and no more neck pain. I also like the inclined forehead support to keep face from rotating downward feature because I get nasal congestion and can't breath through my nose when my face rotates downward.

There are 2 sizes of this particular cpap pillow. The standard 4" and the 5" thick pillow for larger people. I went with the 4" pillow but in my opinion it's too thin for me because it scrunches up my shoulder too much. I folded a towel 1" thick and put it under the pillow to see if that would work better for me and it did so I'm going to go ahead and purchase the 5" pillow. Best pillow I've found so far to work with my cpap mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I Just bought the Contour Products CPAP Pillow and used it one night so far. Cost was $ 49 USD

I slept with it one night and the fit for me was good .......... so far.

One very annoying thing is that it smelled strongly like some chemical............ and that odour filled my bedroom....... Thinking-about

So I washed it................ and although it was hard to wash............... for inside it is molded foam; I dryed it for a day on a rack with a fan running all day.

I just checked it and I did not notice any chemical smell now.

So its time to go to sleep and time will be the true test Rolleyes

My experience

Eric Klatt
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok....my turn to chime in... Contour CPAP Max pillow on trial here now.

Initial impression: 3 (good, but didn't blow my socks off with the first use)

I'm an active sleeper and mix up my positions a fair bit....sometimes supine, but I seem to prefer side or tummy sleeping more.

The Max version has the memory foam "right there" on one side and a fill layer (like normal pillow fill) between you and the memory foam on the other. I prefer the fill side.

The central piece was quite firm, but the cut-outs seemed to work just fine...I can't say I noticed any issues with the mask getting nudged when I rolled onto my side. It is a firm pillow (as most memory foam ones are), so keep that in mind.

It does have an additional piece you can take out in the middle to reduce the height a little....haven't tried it with it out, but I might....not sure which height I'll like more.

The hose keeper is a nice idea...seemed to do its job pretty well (kept it coming in from the top vs. sliding down to near my arm pit).

A little high / solid for tummy sleeping...but if I take out the middle foam piece, it may be better. I'll report back on this at a later date.

I picked mine up 2nd hand but NIB from someone who thought he'd need two but didn't. At $50 Cdn it was a decent deal considering most local DME's have them at between $95 and $125.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Hcore Contour Pillow ejbpesca 0 838 09-20-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] my pillow Joedozer 9 6,966 10-07-2021, 11:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Product Review] Aromatherapy for CPAP [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 12 14,189 05-05-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: scalemaster34
  [Product Review] Buckwheat Pillow VS My Pillow Walla Walla 3 5,163 04-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Last Post: HD Fry
  [Product Review] Sleep Number Bed; Perfect CPAP companion! [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,324 12-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Last Post: jaw2004
  [Product Review] Wedge Pillow / Body Pillow Beej 1 3,621 02-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Beej
Thumbsdown [Product Review] Apria CPAP Pillow mjbearit 0 6,128 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Last Post: mjbearit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.