Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar
RE: VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar
zzzZorro

Thanks for your post. Helps me a lot!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2021, 09:47 AM)DaveL Wrote: zzzZorro

Thanks for your post. Helps me a lot!

You are most welcome.  I just wish someone would have told me this 5 years ago.  Some among us like to logically analyze sleep apnea 'gimmicks' to death but as you would know after 35 years,  "there ain't no logic to most of it"!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used a home made pad under my chin for about 5 years. It's a LittleLife face pad for their child carrier. Bought it at Mountain Equipment Coop. It works. But not all the time. When it doesn't I wash it and the strap and put it back on. Now MEC doesn't carry it anymore.
I just ordered my second collar from amazon in 4 days. First one came as 2 copper water bottles. Maybe I'm supposed to drink my way through this.

I just ordered a Velpeau without the reinforcement--the comfort version. I had a tough time explaining the copper bottles. I'm keeping them. Maybe I'll find a use.

I was careful to look at the size. I have a big thick neck. Maybe that's why I have sleep apnea.

Dave
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2021, 01:21 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: You are most welcome.  I just wish someone would have told me this 5 years ago.  Some among us like to logically analyze sleep apnea 'gimmicks' to death but as you would know after 35 years,  "there ain't no logic to most of it"!

I wore my new Velpeau soft collar last night. First night. I didn't realize how hard it would be to sleep. 

zzzZorro....if I have to wear all this c-ap it had better work.

I'll persist because of all the help I get here.

I may need to get a new mask; the Velpeau interferes with the bottom straps on my ResMed N20.  Score:  $24 Velpeau; $300 new mask....
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2021, 02:36 PM)DaveL Wrote: I wore my new Velpeau soft collar last night. First night. I didn't realize how hard it would be to sleep. 

zzzZorro....if I have to wear all this c-ap it had better work.

I'll persist because of all the help I get here.

I may need to get a new mask; the Velpeau interferes with the bottom straps on my ResMed N20.  Score:  $24 Velpeau; $300 new mask....

Dave- I feel your pain.  Get really tired of wearing all the c-ap also but what is the option? The GrimReaper will come around soon enough without my help..

I am not familiar with the particular model collar you refer to.  I do know that the one I keep referencing with the stiffener is the key for me.  Let's face it, we all have enough blood and treasure involved in this c-ap adventure so a few dollars more ain't gonna be a big deal.  Hope the selection you made works out for you, but if it doesn't, pony up and drop a couple more bucks and get the 'iron maiden' that I use. Just get the biggest if you have a large neck.  Yes, I get tired of stuff around my neck and face all the time and my wife thinks it's funny but I always go back to it because it works for me and nothing else I know of does.. 
Hang in there my friend! Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted about my collar experience in another post, but SleepRider asked me to write about my experience with the Velpeau collar in this thread.

It seems that a lot of my apneic events happen due to my chin tucking. When this happens, there's nothing the CPAP can do to overpower the flow limitation. It tries to, though, and increases the pressure until the mask leaks and I wake up, or otherwise, have OA events.

I've found using a collar to have an immense impact on my sleep apnea treatment. When I wear the Velpeau collar, even loosely, it prevents these flow limitations completely.

I'm sure many collars work just the same, but I got the Velpeau. The dip in the front doesn't prevent it from working. Mine comes with a collar slip cover that can be taken off and washed, which is nice. I have a 15" neck circumference and the large fits fine. A medium would probably work too since a perfect fit is unnecessary.

So long as the collar is fastened tightly enough that my chin can't drop too far, it works fine. This means the collar is quite loose and doesn't touch the front of my neck while in bed. I don't notice it when it's on.

Below are two side-by-side screen shots where the left shows a night's sleep with the collar and the right shows a night without it. The shots are representative of almost all of my nights with one of the aforementioned configurations.

If you're still having trouble with some apneic events that pressure can't seem to fix, I'd try a collar. It might be all you need.

-

Post Reply Post Reply
I tuck my chin during sleep and mouth breathe without a collar. I have been using the Velpeau collars for the past year. I have both the 3” and the 4” in all three styles and find the one with the embedded firmer foam insert to work best for me. Velpeau gives easy to understand directions on Amazon on measuring your neck.

All three styles are very well made and come somewhat overpackaged wrapped in plastic in a box, and with ribbons attached for some odd reason. The velcro doesn’t start to lose its stick, the fabric covering doesn’t wear, pill, or develop holes. Mostly though it seems like the foam is a denser and better grade than the run of mill collar from the drugstore. The foam definitely holds its shape over time and that seems to make Velpeau stand out over the long haul. 

For some reason, I found the model with the removable plastic to be least effective. The plastic piece is much smaller than the collar and it moves around separately from the collar. The plastic doesn’t do much to stiffen the collar. It seems to me that it would marry better with the collar if it were inserted into the collar between the foam and the outside fabric.

I have tried just about all of Amazon’s collar offerings, including the wedge, chin straps and tape. Velpeau has worked best for me and held up best over the long haul.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Velpeau Dual-Use Neck Brace Bassline 6 3,173 01-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Product Review] Caldera Releaf Neck Rest drmaestro 11 7,767 01-09-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Product Review] Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar ejbpesca 0 1,633 09-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar Aludj 12 9,534 07-09-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: sailon1
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,484 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,230 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Product Review] The Eliminator sleep collar Grandpapa-G 16 5,858 03-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.