Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar
Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar
It has been twenty years since I wore a cervical collar after cervical surgery.  I recall it as an unpleasant experience.  It was about four years later I began CPAP therapy.  My OSCAR reports show clusters of OAs that last an hour or so with a large number of events.  My pressure pegs out at 18, stays there and it appears therapy is not working for me during that time.

It has been suggested these clusters could be due to chin tucking.  To prevent my chin from tucking, I purchased the Blabok Neck Brace cervical collar size large (circumference).  The height of the collar is 3.5" The construction is special in that the under chin or top of the collar is thinner foam than the bottom and there is a rigid strip of plastic within the bottom half of the collar.  The fabric covering the foam is smooth to the skin.  It comes with a very soft and smooth sheath that covers the front.  This collar is thinner and less firm foam than the one I used after surgery.

I chose large which is supposed to fit neck size 15.8" - 18".  I think the height, 3.5", is standard for this brand collar.  My neck size is right at 15.8".  I had to double over the collar to get it to fit snugly enough to prevent my chin from lowering.  The sensation was as if it were choking me a bit once I got the collar tight enough to prevent my chin from tucking.  I could move my fingers easily between my neck and the collar therefore I do not think it was choking me. I spent an hour or so sitting up with the collar on to get used to it.

During sleep with the collar on I repeatedly woke partially, that is, not waking fully alert, but waking in a dreamlike state.  With each partial waking event I felt pressure and pain (level 4) in the lower back of my cranium. I accepted the pain as getting used to the collar and returned to sleep several times over a period of two hours.  In the third hour of sleeping with the collar on I woke more alert and in pain (level 5) from a pressure sensation located around the back of my head.  I removed the collar.

I am not sure what to do with the collar now.  The pain produced it was significant.  It seems I may have to tighten it too much in order to produce a firm blocking area under my chin that will prevent chin tucking.  The back of the collar has to be doubled over to get it tight enough to prevent my chin from tucking. I do not know if this four inches of double thickness of the collar is a source of the pain.  The collar is soft and the top edge is not very firm so it seems it would not irritate the back of my head.  I tend to roll to my back during sleep, therefore supine position could be the source of the pain due to the back of my neck lying upon 2 inches of foam and the hard strip inside the bottom half of the collar.  The hard strip does not surround complete circumference of the collar.  It is positioned to the front 17" of the collar. The length of the collar is 21", not the 18" length of the advertised specification.  With a gap, the velcro strap could extend it to 25".

If possible, I will contact the seller about these issues.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Velpeau Dual-Use Neck Brace Bassline 6 2,990 01-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Product Review] Caldera Releaf Neck Rest drmaestro 11 7,502 01-09-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Product Review] VELPEAU Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar zzzZorro 16 5,079 09-03-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  [Product Review] Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar Aludj 12 9,303 07-09-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: sailon1
Cool [Product Review] Review Futuro Sleep Collar Rice95 9 7,250 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  [Product Review] Review: Core Products Foam Cervical Collar, Black Purr3k 1 2,138 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Product Review] The Eliminator sleep collar Grandpapa-G 16 5,652 03-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.