Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] with PG&E Power cutoff is a remote possibility
with PG&E Power cutoff is a remote possibility
I have purchased this on Amazon. AIMTOM Portable Solar Generator, 42000mAh 155Wh Power Station, Emergency Backup Power Supply with Flashlights, for Camping, Home, CPAP, Travel, Outdoor (110V/ 100W AC Outlet, 3X 12V DC, 3X USB Output)
Suppose to be able to charge from car charger, run on juice for 10 hours, can have a solar attachment (extra purchase) or charge on wall connector. The cost is lower than CPAP chargers but it says on Amazon that many people purchased to specifically for CPAP. 

[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon using the above description

I will report on how well it is functioning. The price is only $137.  Sleep-well 
P.S. Heater and humidifier is supposed to be turned off to run on the battery. 
P.P.S. I also bought the solar panels which were more than the generator, $170 

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: with PG&E Power cutoff is a remote possibility
If I still lived in CA, I would own a generator...since I live in PA, I'll just by Generac or Coleman stock.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
that's funny. good joke, but in my experience parts of PA (NEPA in particular) lose power every bit as often (and more in most cases) as any other place I've lived, including CA. generators are just as ubiquitous, noisy and obnoxious in PA as everywhere else too! personally, I enjoy the adventure of an outage, for a few days anyway. except for 'sleeping' without my machine, if I can call it that.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I did live in CA (Pollock Pines), we lost power for a week due to a blizzard that took down the grid at the 4000 foot elevation. Being without power for a week is no fun if your hot water and cooking are electric (California is in the process of banning gas). It gets worse if you depend on a well and can't pump water, and of course people with medical issues have an essential need. If you need an oxygen generator or ventilator, it is life-threatening. Power outages are serious business and not an adventure when they may recur year after year during periods of high fire risk.

FWIW, propane or NG generators run clean, quiet and are can be amazing for backup power. Where I am currently, power rarely goes out. We have underground utilities and will lose power due to a loss of the grid in the area. I still don't like it much, and if it was common, our house has a gas supply, pad and switch gear. The whole house generator went away with a prior owner, but so far, not missed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In 26 years I never lost power, even now I am outside of the cut-off zone but one never knows. I am about to install solar panels (in November) but this preemptive cut off is somewhat unnerving (half of the CA population is considering moving out of state). After solar, I will consider a solar battery that now is not cheap enough nor good enough. This portable solar generator is good for camping or trips into areas that lose power more.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Great State of California is NOT in the process of banning natural gas.  Berkeley was the first city to ban gas IN NEW CONSTRUCTION, possibly looking into the future.  That's a long ways from banning natural gas state-wide.  Back systems are a good idea none the less.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2019, 03:42 PM)mirkee Wrote: The Great State of California is NOT in the process of banning natural gas.

Yet.   Once they finalize their search for a single pink-eyed, blue-backed salamander who's tail-growth has been stunted by 1% due to the greenhouse gas emissions caused by the burning of natural gas, they'll make it a state-wide ban.   Bigwink Too-funny

Note:  This post is intended as humor only and is not an attempt to besmirch the reputation, character or self-esteem of any particular pink-eyed, blue-backed salamander.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Could be a bit light on power requirements.

I can't seem to find any info on the actual power usage of the DreamStation.  But reverse calculating things... If you have 155 Wh available and want to use the DreamStation for 8 hours, the power requirement would be 1.6 amps at 12 volts.

155 Wh ÷ 12 volts ÷ 8 hours = 1.6 amps.

This assumes that the PR brick power supply is 100% efficient and the AIMTOM inverter (it's not really a generator) is 100% efficient too. Neither device is 100% efficient - maybe 80 to 90% efficient at best. Also, the AIMTOM might have a 42,000 mAh capacity when new, but that will decrease with age and number and depth of battery cycles.

So you could bump the 8 hour time down to 6.4 hours to 7.2 hours if maintaining the assumption of 1.6 amps just because of inefficiencies alone.

The current draw of the DreamStation is going to be dependent upon your therapy pressure. Another unknown here in these assumptions.  ResMed has some great power usage info, if you search "ResMed Battery Guide", but I can't seem to find any equivalent info on the PR CPAP machines.

I suppose since you already purchased the AIMTOM, you could run a test and see if/when you have to come up for air, gasping.  If I had to throw darts at a dart board on this one, I'd guess you would be able to run 5 hours on CPAP alone (no heated anything extra), at 12 cmH2O average.  PG&E is planning on many more power outages of unknown time durations.  I don't say this based on what may be coming out in the news but what my nephew says, who works for PG&E.  He's in a different department but is in-the-know.  So don't throw rotten tomatoes at him.

It would be nice to see what your findings are and what your pressure settings are too.  Then go from there.  And if you have to return the AIMTOM to Amazon, sooner that later is better since it is "electronics".  Amazon might be particular about returns on this item if not done immediately.

Please keep us posted.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Gissaral GIS09B-AP3 lithium-ion battery pack (power bank) Fats Drywaller 4 3,040 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
Idea [Product Review] UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for CPAP - PAP Battery Kit by Phillips Respironics dk2011 2 3,999 06-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.