Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Programming used machine
Programming used machine
I don't have health insurance. If I get a used cpap, is there a way to use it without a sleep apnea doctor to set it up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Programming used machine
Technically, yes. There are instructions for setting up various machines, and you might benefit from an auto-titrating machine if you can get one without a prescription.

However, without a sleep study, you don't know the true nature of your sleep and what other things may be happening. I can't advocate skipping the doctor. Maybe they can work with you on a payment plan?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2013, 12:53 PM)SleepyJohn Wrote: I don't have health insurance. If I get a used cpap, is there a way to use it without a sleep apnea doctor to set it up?

I assume you already have a diagnosis of OSA since your profile shows a pressure of 8. If I'm wrong, do what you have to to get an official diagnosis of OSA since there are many other medical conditions that cause fatigue.

I have been down that road, losing my insurance after I was diagnosed but before I could get a machine. Read my prior posts to see what I've gone through. Also go to http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap for info on setting up CPAP machines, and http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual to request a clinician's manual.

You will want to learn what's on the market before you buy a machine. The best machines are data-capable auto-CPAP's such as the ResMed S9 Autoset and the Phillips Respironics System One model 560. These are among the more expensive machines, but you can get good deals on gently used machines from supplier no. 2 on the supplier list. You can also find good deals on Craigslist if you know what to look for. (There are also some incredibly bad deals on Craigslist, so watch out).

You will also want to download the data so you know how well it's working for you. (This is why it's absolutely important to get a data-capable machine, especially if you're going it alone). The data won't make sense at first, but you can learn to understand it by downloading it every day for the first month.

Been there, done that! Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions on the board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyJohn,
What big_dave said.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
This is where a sleep study can be so necessary.

As the others have said, if you already have the diagnosis, you can get a used one from various sources and set it up yourself. But if you are not diagnosed, then don't get one until you have the sleep study. There are some home sleep studies you can try and they are significantly cheaper.

You will need a doctor's script to get a machine and mask. Supplier #2 sells "gently used" and "open box" machines at good prices. There's also Craigslist and your local swap/sell paper. Just be aware of what you are getting. Before you buy, especially if getting from a non-supplier, download the manual for it and figure out how to check the run-hours. Most of them you can delete the previous users data but not the machine's run hours, which is the total hours it was used. You'll want to check that first. Archangel has a great write up on what machines to look for. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2013, 12:53 PM)SleepyJohn Wrote: I don't have health insurance. If I get a used cpap, is there a way to use it without a sleep apnea doctor to set it up?

You need a newer machine than your currant machine "Remstar from 2006". Both ResMed S9 AutoSet and Phillips Respironcis Auto 550/560 adjust pressure automatically as required and distinguish between obstructive and central apnea

As for sleep doctor, I saw mine last week and he only looked at AHI/leak/usage and said all looks good, keep doing what you doing. Most people with plain OSA learn to manage their own treatment, actually based on the poll "How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?" most respondents said they see their once a year or never http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=followup
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2013, 01:13 PM)big_dave Wrote: You can also find good deals on Craigslist if you know what to look for. (There are also some incredibly bad deals on Craigslist, so watch out).

Like the "almost new in box" S9 AutoSet that had "only been used a couple of nights" - "four at the most". That when I walked the guy through the menu to check the time used it showed 1,200+ hours?!? Them was some loooooooooooooooooooooong nights. Not that that number of hours would be a deal killer, I just don't appreciate folks lying to me.

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,137 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Cool PROGRAMMING SLEEPSTYLE 200 hdrules4ever52 1 790 09-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Replacing CPAP - do I have enough info for programming? kdw613 8 1,537 02-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Programming Bi-Pap Machine as CPAP lexoman 10 4,159 11-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Last Post: lexoman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.