Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overnight evaluation??
Overnight evaluation??
I had a local sleep center provide me a test at home machine The one that goes on your forehead I tested positive for sleep apnea My score was 6 and I was told very mild. The Dr wants me to come in over night in his sleep center so they can provide me a CPAP machine and adjust. Do I need to do this test? If I have sleep apnea would not the CPAP machine people do this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overnight evaluation??
(02-25-2014, 07:32 AM)jbglasse Wrote: I had a local sleep center provide me a test at home machine The one that goes on your forehead I tested positive for sleep apnea My score was 6 and I was told very mild. The Dr wants me to come in over night in his sleep center so they can provide me a CPAP machine and adjust. Do I need to do this test? If I have sleep apnea would not the CPAP machine people do this?

Since we don't know where you live, I will post a generic response. In the US, there has to be a script telling the "CPAP people" or DME as I call it, what the setting should be and what type of machine (CPAP, VPAP, ASV, etc.) you will need.

6 is pretty mild but there is more than just that number. What kind of events did you have? What was your O2 level? Did you have REM sleep? What is the optimal pressure setting? Just because someone has a low AHI, the pressure setting they need to keep their airway open does differ per each person. I have seen people say that their sleep study events were really low but their pressure is 15, 16, 18 and I have seen people with a larger AHI during their sleep study and their pressure is 10.

A DME cannot determine the treatment pressure needed for each patient. They don't have the data and they cannot interpret the data. A Home Sleep study doesn't provide as much data as an in lab sleep study.

The in lab sleep study is expensive. If you can get your ordering doc to write a script with your pressure on it, an Auto machine with dispense as written (no escape or escape auto if written for a resmed) and then you have the option to have a pressure range to work with.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

At 6 you are kinda mild, but that doesn't mean you don't need treatment. Don't let the low numbers fool you.

Tell us more about the test and how it was performed.
Also, it probably does make sense to go to the sleep center for a titration test, and depending on the particular home test it may be advisable to have a complete test ran at a sleep center.

Did he say that they'd provide you with the machine or that they are going to see which type machine you require?

If they're actually supplying the machine it sounds like they're either associated with the DME or they actually are the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jbglasse,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would be a good idea to go ahead and go for the test because it is more comprehensive.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

Yes, tell more about the at home test specifics. EEG? Pulse Oximetry?

If an at home test showed Apnea that is enough of an indication to follow up with the recommendations of the sleep doc to get it fully diagnosed and determine what if any treatment is needed.

Can you afford the tests the sleep doc wants to do?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Echoing above voices that say the doc's sleep clinic study is the way to go. I tested "mild" on my side, yet through the roof on my back. But the biggest thing is my sleep doc's let me have a teddy bear for the night. That made everything worthwhile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 07:32 AM)jbglasse Wrote: The Dr wants me to come in over night in his sleep center so they can provide me a CPAP machine and adjust. Do I need to do this test? If I have sleep apnea would not the CPAP machine people do this?
Titration to determine pressure with APAP such as "S9 AutoSet" at home is as good as spending a night at the sleep
The advantage of sleep lab is in diagnoses ... having someone watching over you while you sleep, wired up so they can tell if an apnea is central or obstructive, monitor O2 level during the night, and detect other sleep disorders

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR evaluation and recommendations please. Keep on keeping on. 8 461 12-17-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Keep on keeping on.
  [Equipment] Alternatives to Vitacom and Contec for Overnight Oximeter Giantmushroom 2 513 10-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Giantmushroom
  Evaluation of my data Liveoak86 22 1,542 10-05-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oscar data evaluation Moondogger 3 602 05-19-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Moondogger
  CPAP- Need Evaluation and Advice Connieliles 16 1,683 02-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [CPAP] Airsense 10 Shuts off by itself for MANY hours overnight, I am suffering please help pavinscpaps 5 937 11-20-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  oxygen levels drop overnight oldstyle 3 811 03-27-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.