Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Promising?
Promising?
http://www.massdevice.com/news/report-fd...ea-implant I wonder how long until it for sale in the US.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Promising?
There was another that was in trials when they just stopped due to funding or whatever. But the member here who had it done, thought it was working well but had to decide what to do about it. She didn't know if she should keep it until the battery died or have it removed while there were people around who knew what it was. I don't think she ever reported back what she decided.

My guess is it would only work for people whose tongue was the primary/sole cause of the blockage.

Personally, I would find it annoying as heck.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 11:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There was another that was in trials when they just stopped due to funding or whatever. But the member here who had it done, thought it was working well but had to decide what to do about it. She didn't know if she should keep it until the battery died or have it removed while there were people around who knew what it was. I don't think she ever reported back what she decided.

My guess is it would only work for people whose tongue was the primary/sole cause of the blockage.

Personally, I would find it annoying as heck.
What do you think you would find annoying? It is turned off in the day. At night I am not sure you would even know it is doing anything except by the results. Yes there was another company
doing this that folded.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
So basically an implant that shocks your airway into opening up. No thanks....

I can't even imagine the effect that would have long term. AT least using air pressure to open the airways it's sort of a natural way to create a air stint, using shock therapy...not for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just don't really hate my machine so going to, what I consider for myself to be, that extreme a measure just isn't in the cards for me. I still think about the fact that newer technologies create better machines year over year and with an external machine it is a simple process to buy a better machine (I know, aside from the money thing), but upgrading to a better implant? Not as simple. JMHO!

Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

It sounds awful to me. The FDA hasn't approved it yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't sound awful to me, but it sounds invasive and you wouldn't know if it would work until it was implanted (surgery, right?)

I like my CPAP, actively like it. It keeps my NASAL passages open as much as my throat and other airway -- it's essentially eliminating my night congestion.

The mask is almost unnoticeable -- the other night, I woke up and though for a minute that perhaps I had taken it off (which I NEVER do.)

No, it was right where it belonged but was really just about as noticeable as my pajamas.

There are probably people who can't or won't do CPAP that might be helped by the device.

I am glad the OP posted the link, but the device really seemed just plain UNINTERESTING to me personally.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
It makes me think of shock treatment for depression or removal of part of the brain for depression. Not for me! I want to try everything non invasive first! And I consider scripts as a last resort
Post Reply Post Reply
No thanks, I'll just keep on using my CPAP machine, it works very well for me.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.