Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prone (belly) sleeping as apnea treatment?
Prone (belly) sleeping as apnea treatment?
Hi guys!

I have been using CPAP for a year now, but my pressure levels keep getting higher, and I'm starting to get frustrated with it...It would be so nice to sleep without the ridiculous jerry-rigged set up I have! My husband and I were brainstorming, and I mentioned that my fatigue started at the same time that I could no longer sleep on my belly, which was always my preferred sleeping position. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which means that my joints are unstable, so I can't sleep normally - with my head turned to the side - on my belly without dislocating something, or causing pain. The same goes for side-sleeping: my shoulders and hips sublux/dislocate whenever I accidentally end up on my side.

In any case, I was searching for ways in which I might comfortably sleep on my belly, by using a mattress - or some other contraption - with a hole for my face, and discovered that some doctors have actually studied this, and are suggesting sleeping on the belly (face down) as a treatment for sleep apnea! Has anyone tried this? How have you set it up? I'm so curious if anyone has had success with this! I certainly can tell that my airway doesn't collapse nearly as much (if at all?) when facing down.

If there's been another thread about this, please let me know. I couldn't find one... :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prone (belly) sleeping as apnea treatment?
Okay, don't hate me, but is something like this what you have in mind? If so, YES! Go for it. These have gender specific comfort channels for women on one side, and are flat on the other. It is a face-down sleeping pillow and costs about $48. Search for the face down pillow at Comforthouse. Whatever you need is the right solution for you. Put a king pillowcase on something like this and you can sleep in almost any position, including face-down with plenty of room for your mask.

[Image: comfort_2273_126168160]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prone (belly) sleeping as apnea treatment?
I can't sleep face down at all, I tried it and almost was not here to tell the tale (hurray I hear you cry) but if the above helps go for it.
I remember seeing something about a trial on sleeping face down, but I think they used something like the above, but found they needed less pressure, however, some turned over in their sleep, so it was pointless.  If you can sleep face down give it a go.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.