Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Proper positioning of air filter in PR S1
Proper positioning of air filter in PR S1
Recently received OEM PR "paper" air filters ordered for my relatively new System one machine are embossed with the Philips Respironics name on one side. The machine had been deliver with an unmarked (?generic?) paper filter. How should I orient the OEM filters in the machine? They appear a bit more firm and stiffer on the unmarked side but it's hard to be sure. Should the unmarked side of the filters be facing inward and the name outside when the filters are inserted into the housing?

Thanx,
~ Doc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Proper positioning of air filter in PR S1
They appear a bit more firm and stiffer on the unmarked side but it's hard to be sure. Should the unmarked side of the filters be facing inward and the name outside when the filters are inserted into the housing?

Hi Critterdoc . On the OME filter the logo is facing out . on any of the fine filters you want the side that feels firm to go into the machine first , Fuzzy side facing you .
Post Reply Post Reply
The fuzzy side is the side that captures the dirt particles. That's the side that faces outward.

Sometimes the filters I get have a little tab in the middle of one of the long sides. I cut it off with scissors, along with just a tiny sliver of the filter itself. They are over-sized and will bend if I don't do this. If the filter is bent air can pass around its edges instead of going through it. A tight fit is not necessary because the foam pre-filter holds it in place, but I don't want a loose fit, either.

Can you tell that I'm OCD? Rolleyes
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 10:34 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The fuzzy side is the side that captures the dirt particles. That's the side that faces outward.

Sometimes the filters I get have a little tab in the middle of one of the long sides. I cut it off with scissors, along with just a tiny sliver of the filter itself. They are over-sized and will bend if I don't do this. If the filter is bent air can pass around its edges instead of going through it. A tight fit is not necessary because the foam pre-filter holds it in place, but I don't want a loose fit, either.

Can you tell that I'm OCD? Rolleyes
Somewhere in the reams of recent CPAP readings I noted that PR (if not also other mfgs) has d/c'd the little white tab. The unmarked replacement filters that came with my machine fit into the rectangular opening without bending, deformity, or resistance and seemed even slightly loose if it was not supported by the black foam filter block.

Post Reply Post Reply
From user manual: Installing the Air Filters

CAUTION : A properly installed, undamaged gray foam filter is required for proper operation.
The device uses a gray foam filter that is washable and reusable, and a white ultra-fine filter that is disposable. The reusable filter screens out normal household dust and pollens, while the ultra-fine filter provides more complete filtration of very fine particles.
The gray reusable filter must be in place at all times when the device is operating. The ultra-fine filter is recommended for people who are sensitive to tobacco smoke or other small particles.
The reusable gray foam filter is supplied with the device. A disposable ultra-fine filter may also be included. If your filter is not already installed when you receive your device, you must at least install the reusable gray foam filter before using the device. To install the filter(s):
1. If you are using the white disposable ultra-fine filter, insert it into the filter area first, mesh-side facing in, towards the device.
2. Insert the required gray foam filter into the filter area after the ultra-fine filter.

Note: If you are not using the white disposable filter, simply insert the gray foam filter into the filter area.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 01:25 PM)critterdoc Wrote: Somewhere in the reams of recent CPAP readings I noted that PR (if not also other mfgs) has d/c'd the little white tab. The unmarked replacement filters that came with my machine fit into the rectangular opening without bending, deformity, or resistance and seemed even slightly loose if it was not supported by the black foam filter block.

Which is why I modify the filters with the tab.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 01:43 PM)zonk Wrote: 1. If you are using the white disposable ultra-fine filter, insert it into the filter area first, mesh-side facing in, towards the device.
I have never understood which side is the mesh side - while the stiff side is made up of fibres, the fuzzy side has a clear square dot pattern that could well be a mesh. Any ideas.

BTW, the machine way quieter if you only use the grey sponge and not the white filter. If you aren't a smoker or live in a polluted of very dusty area, it may not be a big issue, although I must admit, clean as our flat is and the air is here, when I swap that filter out at the end of the month, it is always pretty grotty, which is kinda scary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 03:35 PM)DocWils Wrote: I have never understood which side is the mesh side - while the stiff side is made up of fibres, the fuzzy side has a clear square dot pattern that could well be a mesh. Any ideas.

That one confused me the first time I saw it, too. The fuzzy side is the side that traps the dirt. That's the easy way for me to remember which side faces out.

Quote:BTW, the machine way quieter if you only use the grey sponge and not the white filter. If you aren't a smoker or live in a polluted of very dusty area, it may not be a big issue, although I must admit, clean as our flat is and the air is here, when I swap that filter out at the end of the month, it is always pretty grotty, which is kinda scary.

Do you open the windows a lot? We don't. We pretty much either have the air conditioner or the furnace running, and we have a forced-air system with a pleated filter. We also have a good HEPA filter running in the bedroom whenever we're sleeping.

I change the CPAP filter monthly, when I remember! Last time I forgot and went two months, it was still white. I saw it get black only only once, and I don't remember why.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,876 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,183 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 911 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 819 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.