Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Apneas & GERD (Reflux)
Idea 
Apneas & GERD (Reflux)
I'm a newbie having used my APAP for only about a week but my GERD seems to have improved. I thought about the situation and it made sense to me that having a positive pressure in my upper body may help keep the reflux from rising, so here is a link (one of many) that states there seems to be mostly positive outcomes for GERD sufferers when using CPAP.
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news...eases-gerd

Some comments on other links state that CPAP can also have the opposite effect. What do memberss of this forum think? better still can we hear of some personal experiences or debate as I am becoming aware of other unintentional benefits.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apneas & GERD (Reflux)
At nine months of Cpap I had no idea it would help, but my reflux or whatever it was has gone away. To think at one point my Dr. was treating that (scoped) and all along it was caused or at least made way worse by undiagnosed sleep apnea. Between that and night time urination it has helped me in many ways. Now if it just made me drop 40 pounds I'd be set, I guess I gotta do something myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 10:51 PM)TassieJeff Wrote: I'm a newbie having used my APAP for only about a week but my GERD seems to have improved. I thought about the situation and it made sense to me that having a positive pressure in my upper body may help keep the reflux from rising, so here is a link (one of many) that states there seems to be mostly positive outcomes for GERD sufferers when using CPAP.
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news...eases-gerd

Some comments on other links state that CPAP can also have the opposite effect. What do memberss of this forum think? better still can we hear of some personal experiences or debate as I am becoming aware of other unintentional benefits.

G/day Tassie, I don't know if it has been helping me, but my CPAP hopefully is looking promising.
My gut has been a problem for a looooong time, last year I had the camera down the pipe and was told my esophagus was badly inflamed because of gastric refux, this the reason I had problems swallowing my tucker. The Doc gave me Zantac and then Somac, both these drugs felt like they were draining the life from me. I got on the internet and soon discovered that most people with GERD actually have low stomach acid, so I tossed the quacks pills and have since taken a hydrochloride and pepsin tablet after each meal and this has been a fantastic reduction of the reflux.
Hopefully when the CPAP is working properly I'll be able to get into that beautiful Cascade beer from down there Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 11:23 PM)Doc J Wrote: At nine months of Cpap I had no idea it would help, but my reflux or whatever it was has gone away. To think at one point my Dr. was treating that (scoped) and all along it was caused or at least made way worse by undiagnosed sleep apnea. Between that and night time urination it has helped me in many ways. Now if it just made me drop 40 pounds I'd be set, I guess I gotta do something myself.

Good to hear you are in better health. Keep up the CPAP as it could reduce your weight too.

The link I posted earlier seems a dud. try:
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news...ea-related
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 11:24 PM)comatose Wrote: G/day Tassie, I don't know if it has been helping me, but my CPAP hopefully is looking promising.
My gut has been a problem for a looooong time, last year I had the camera down the pipe and was told my esophagus was badly inflamed because of gastric refux, this the reason I had problems swallowing my tucker. The Doc gave me Zantac and then Somac, both these drugs felt like they were draining the life from me. I got on the internet and soon discovered that most people with GERD actually have low stomach acid, so I tossed the quacks pills and have since taken a hydrochloride and pepsin tablet after each meal and this has been a fantastic reduction of the reflux.
Hopefully when the CPAP is working properly I'll be able to get into that beautiful Cascade beer from down there Grin

G'day to you too Comatose.
James Boag is a great drop too...could help you get a good nights sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked the map............ I think the GERD stuff is because all you Australia guys are standing on your head....

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2014, 12:57 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I checked the map............ I think the GERD stuff is because all you Australia guys are standing on your head....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1uNntBn3_uqm9FraLqb8...w83isX-8Sg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 11:23 PM)Doc J Wrote: At nine months of Cpap I had no idea it would help, but my reflux or whatever it was has gone away. To think at one point my Dr. was treating that (scoped) and all along it was caused or at least made way worse by undiagnosed sleep apnea. Between that and night time urination it has helped me in many ways. Now if it just made me drop 40 pounds I'd be set, I guess I gotta do something myself.

This is a story we hear repeated many times. In my case it was not only GERD, but chronic headaches. CPAP therapy reduces these symptoms significantly, and in many cases causes them to disappear.

We then take on this mindset where we wonder what other kinds of magic the CPAP machine is going to work for us.

It may help us lose weight in that it gives us an improved mental attitude and more energy. But it ain't gonna do the trick by itself.

If we want to lose weight we need to do some combination of eating less and moving more. In fact, we may actually be burning fewer calories than we used to because we are spending more time asleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My story is somewhat similar--
I have been using CPAP since 2010. I was set up with a cpap set pressure of 12. About a year ago I started getting terrible gas pains off and on-finally figured out it was gerd. To make a long story short- now that I have my apap my pressure needs are met (12-20) and the gerd is gone. Yeh for apap!

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 07:16 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: My story is somewhat similar--
I have been using CPAP since 2010. I was set up with a cpap set pressure of 12. About a year ago I started getting terrible gas pains off and on-finally figured out it was gerd. To make a long story short- now that I have my apap my pressure needs are met (12-20) and the gerd is gone. Yeh for apap!

Great to hear that your GERD is all gone readyforsleep :grin:
When I go to bed with a case of heartburn, the APAP renders it gone...amazing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 300 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 260 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,273 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 275 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 452 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.