Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Proper water for CPAP humidifier?
Proper water for CPAP humidifier?
I exclusively use distilled water purchased from the grocery store for the humidifier at home since starting CAPP from the start about 4 months ago.

I will be traveling for work next week arriving later in the evening(pretty much right from the airport to the hotel.)  I do not know if I will have a chance to purchase distilled water.

I do not like the idea of using tap water from the hotel and am not sure if using regular bottled drinking water is a acceptable or not.  Is it OK to use bottled water or should I just forgo the humidifier for a few days?

Thanks,
frank.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Proper water for CPAP humidifier...?
I too used distilled water. I find the tanks last a long time with distilled.
Some people use tap.

Water bottled for drinking contains some additives that improve the flavor. In my opinion, it's OK to use such water.

The water tank is a replaceable item; and paid for by most insurance on a regular schedule.
I keep a spare just in case.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info... been using that handy "search" feature and found some good thread topic discussions about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2017, 02:22 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I exclusively use distilled water purchased from the grocery store for the humidifier at home since starting CAPP from the start about 4 months ago.

I will be traveling for work next week arriving later in the evening(pretty much right from the airport to the hotel.) I do not know if I will have a chance to purchase distilled water.

I do not like the idea of using tap water from the hotel and am not sure if using regular bottled drinking water is a acceptable or not. Is it OK to use bottled water or should I just forgo the humidifier for a few days?

Thanks,
frank.

FWIW there are plenty of 24 hour grocery stores or drug stores where you can purchase distilled water usually pretty close to hotels. The only time I couldn't find one while traveling I used bottled water for a few nights and it was fine.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using filtered water from my refrigerator's water dispenser for the past 2 years without any problems. On a side note from your other post about taking a small supply with you when you travel on the airlines. . . TSA can't take a joke! You will experience problems with this idea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2017, 03:11 PM)sonicboom Wrote: FWIW there are plenty of 24 hour grocery stores or drug stores where you can purchase distilled water usually pretty close to hotels. The only time I couldn't find one while traveling I used bottled water for a few nights and it was fine.
Imagine my surprise when I walked into a Duane Reade on either a Saturday or Sunday, can't recall, in Chicago around 2:50pm.
As soon I walk passed the entrance "please hurry sir, we will be closing in 10 minutes".
I'm born and raised in NYC. I know not everywhere has 24 hours, but 3pm? That was some laziness.
And walked around Sunday morning at 7 am. I didnt see another soul until around 9:30am. It was -20º which may have played a factor however.
Post Reply Post Reply
Manufacturers recommend that you use distilled water to fill the water tank and they also add to dump the leftover water and wash the tank thoroughly. I've no problem using tap water, washing salad stuff, cooking, drinking, and in the humidifier tank too
I trust the water board does a good job in supplying us with a clean tap water, maybe water quality is not as good in other places
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2017, 04:14 PM)zonk Wrote: ...I trust the water board does a good job in supplying us with a clean tap water, maybe water quality is not as good in other places.

No, the water quality may not be as good in other places. Do a Google News search on Flint, Michigan, USA.

And, trust is reasonable, but sometimes it may be a good idea to verify.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the comments.

I ended up speaking with a very knowledgeable airline representative who suggested packing a small container of distilled container in my check-in baggage because it would not be allowed as a carry-on item. I would just need to double or triple zip-lock baggy wrap it so as to prevent leak should it break.

Thanks to one and all,
frank.

Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Frank. You haven't told us where you're going - that is a fundamental data point for this whole discussion.

FWIW I use distilled water at home, as our public water supply has a bit of calcium which could cause deposits in the tank. When travelling I follow a rule of "If the tap water is safe to drink, use that. Otherwise use bottled water". eg in Bali and Myanmar I use bottled water, in Singapore I use tap water. A few days away from distilled isn't going to do your tank any harm.

Carting water around with you is an unnecessary nuisance and could land you in trouble with over-zealous x-ray operators.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 28 8 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,733 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,311 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.