Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Proper water for CPAP humidifier...?
I use distilled water at home. The first time I traveled with my cpap machine I packed a gallon of distilled water. I decided to use tap water the next time. That did not work out well. I don't know if it was the city water or build up in the lines at the hotel we stayed in, but there was a lot of sediment in the tank each morning making cleanup a chore. Now I pack enough bottled water for each night. It is easier to pack and I don't have an open container of water to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
The distilled water is just to prevent mineral accumulation in your tank. You can avoid most of that by simply rinsing it out in the morning. As mentioned, these tubs are replaceable, so not worth worrying about. As Deep Breathing says, if it's safe to drink, it's fine for your machine. You can deal with any mineral accumulation when you get home in about 10 minutes with a little vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in a hard water area in the UK. De-ionised water is available from some supermarkets, but may be scented, for use in steam irons. I use tap water, and disassemble the water tub every few weeks and soak in water with a splosh of vinegar every few weeks, to remove the build-up of scale.
Post Reply Post Reply

I agree with DeepBreathing. Lugging water around is a pain let alone the possibility of leaks. I tend not to fly anymore and glad that I don't have too. Just too insulting. We often travel locally by car and take a gallon of distilled water to get us started and then find a store to re-supply. If we take another cruise we will have to find out if they will supply distilled water for our cpap machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a distilled water person too. We have a well that the water is so hard it's like being sand blasted when we shower. The tank would have rocks the next morning if I used it.

I have used bottled water when traveling and that works well enough. My tank is one year old and looks like new. And as mentioned above, they are replaceable.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2017, 01:45 AM)Capt.Redbeard Wrote: I agree with DeepBreathing. Lugging water around is a pain let alone the possibility of leaks. I tend not to fly anymore and glad that I don't have too. Just too insulting. We often travel locally by car and take a gallon of distilled water to get us started and then find a store to re-supply. If we take another cruise we will have to find out if they will supply distilled water for our cpap machines.

I have taken my CPAP machine with me on both Oceania and Princess cruises and have found they are very accommodating.  I called ahead of time to ask for distilled water and both times it was waiting for me in my room.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Water in my mask. VegasGMC 8 309 10-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Last Post: VegasGMC
  humidification water? Farther 5 220 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Humidifier Bruce456 7 199 10-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My humidifier gets empty HalfAsleep 6 328 10-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  ResMed AS10 Side cover / humidifier delete and SoClean nydiver 2 198 10-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Last Post: JesseLee
  How do you open the humidifier? Problem solved. HalfAsleep 4 210 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Timur
  Help me understand how humidifier levels are managed by the xPAP DanPrado 18 819 09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Wolfram