Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Prostate cancer surgery didn't appear to save lives compared with observation alone in a new study that tracked men for a decade after their diagnosis.

However, nearly twice as many men who had surgery reported incontinence and impotence after two years, researchers report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"These are very compelling data," said Dr. Durado Brooks, director of prostate and colorectal cancers at the American Cancer Society, who was not involved in the research.

Both he and study author Dr. Timothy Wilt of the University of Minnesota School of Medicine said the results suggest that many men who have received surgery in the past probably didn't need it. "I don't think there's any question that many of those cancers were overtreated," said Brooks, who stressed that there is no way to know on an individual basis.

Prostate cancer is the second-leading killer in men, with more than 240,000 new diagnoses and 28,000 deaths every year. While many doctors still screen for the disease, more and more medical organizations are recommending against routinely doing so. And even with a cancer diagnosis, it's not clear that aggressive treatments such as surgery or radiation are always helpful.

That's because treatments have side effects, whereas the tumor might never have caused problems if left alone.

The new study is based on 731 men who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer, often as a result of screening with the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test. Researchers then randomly assigned the men to prostate removal or observation only.

More than a decade after the tumor was discovered, 5.8 percent of the men who received surgery had died from prostate cancer or its treatment, compared to 8.4 percent of patients where doctors just kept an eye on the tumor. Overall, 47 percent of the men in the surgery group died during the study, compared to 50 percent of the others.

Both differences could have been due to chance, the researchers found. By contrast, more than one in five of the men who went under the knife experienced a complication of the surgery, including one death.

"Death from prostate cancer, with observation, was very uncommon," Wilt told Reuters Health.

"We think our results apply to the vast majority of men diagnosed with prostate cancer today," he said.

CANCERS OVERTREATED?

The study, which only dealt with localized tumors, leaves open the possibility that men with very high PSA levels - greater than 10 nanograms per milliliter - may still benefit from surgery.

About 17 percent of men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, but the risk of dying from the disease is only about three percent. That's because prostate tumors tend to grow so slowly that other health problems often kill a patient first.

"There has been a greater consideration on the part of many urologists to take less aggressive approaches with some low-grade cancer, particularly in older men," Brooks said. "However it's been very difficult because cancer is such a scary word. When people hear 'cancer,' they want something done about it and they want something done yesterday."

The study is known as PIVOT -- the Prostate Cancer Intervention Versus Observation Trial, and was first presented more than a year ago at a cancer meeting in Washington, D.C.

The men were enrolled in the study between 1994 and 2002, when PSA testing was becoming popular. Men diagnosed today, said Wilt, are probably even less likely to benefit from surgery "because patients are picked up a lot earlier with smaller tumors. They're very unlikely to be bothered by their cancer in their lifetime."

At the two-year mark, 17 percent of those who had undergone surgery reported urinary incontinence. The rate was six percent in the observation group. In addition, 81 percent of surgery patients had impotence problems compared with 44 percent in the observation group.

Brooks told Reuters Health that, in the past, nine out of ten U.S. men with a prostate cancer diagnosis have chosen aggressive treatment, frequently regretting the long-term side effects.

"Probably 30 to 40 percent of men could reasonably take a less-aggressive approach to their prostate cancer," he said.

"My hope is that men will look at this information and try to make some decisions in a less emotional way," said Brooks. "But the reality is, it usually takes 10 years for significant shifts in medical practice as a result of new findings in the medical literature. So it's going to be a slow transition to get people to back away from this type of diagnosis."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_127386.html
07-19-2012 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

RE: Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study
I am kind of up in the air over the fact that the sample size was 731 men when there are more than 240,000 new diagnoses and 28,000 deaths every year. This article had a lot of "perhaps" and vague wording leading me to believe that their focus was pretty narrow in scope while the article tends to be very broad in scope.
It is true that prostate surgery and cancer treatment has a lot of side effects that are just not great, and it is true that at times the medical industry may overreact in their treatment, we are still talking about the second largest killer of men. That really has to carry some weight here.
They are also finding that even the testing is not very accurate. A PSA test has many factors that can cause a higher than normal reading and one high reading does not a cancer make! A high PSA test should be followed up by the dreaded DRE, to confirm a problem. With any luck at all someday they will have better screening and treatment options for this disease.

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
07-20-2012 08:50 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Friend of mine died from prostate cancer yet his PSA was well within norm.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-20-2012 01:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(07-20-2012 01:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Friend of mine died from prostate cancer yet his PSA was well within norm.

The thing on that is Paula, if you really read the papers on this, it is not as much about the "normal range", although the insurance companies will claim it is, but it is best to have a base line reading done at like 40 and 50 years of age. Once you have a baseline, if it suddenly spikes, it is time to take a deeper look (so to speak) regardless of whether it is within any range or not. I still think this test needs a great deal of improvement or at the very least better education to patients and medical staff alike!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
07-20-2012 11:00 PM
Cutter Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer when I was 59. My doctor & I discussed all of the options available but the chose of options was left up to me. I opted for surgery because I am relatively young and I want to watch my grandchildren grow up. Yes I have to deal with inconvenience and impotence but that is life. My Father was diagnosed with prostrate cancer when e was 85. At first he was treated with hormone therapy and that was stopped when he turned 90. Statistics will give you probabilities. But if you don't fit on the curve and the cancer kills you, you don't get do overs, you're dead.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 11:54 AM by Cutter.)
07-21-2012 11:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sober12 Offline

New Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I totally agree with what you have shared in these post. Many experts are trying to to find which cancer are very likely to spread in a fast way. However, they have found few substances in soybeans as well as tomatoes that help to avoid Prostate Cancer. Anyways, really liked reading your post.
08-08-2012 04:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 11,399 12-24-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm
  [News] New Study: Stop taking those antioxidants! ApneaNews 1 755 05-28-2014 12:14 AM
Last Post: retired_guy
  [News] Study says coffee is good for your eyes SuperSleeper 2 987 05-06-2014 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cataract Surgery May 7th! Schnauzers 5 10 2,932 04-16-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
  Farting on planes: let 'em rip, study says zonk 2 1,431 02-21-2013 06:00 AM
Last Post: iSnooze
  Cure For Cancer Patrick_Henry 0 899 08-14-2012 09:51 AM
Last Post: Patrick_Henry
  Coffee tied to lower prostate cancer risk zonk 5 2,378 03-11-2012 05:28 PM
Last Post: TheDreamer