Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Provent
Has anyone tried an apnea therapy called Provent? My friend gave me a few and I am going to try it tonight. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of this type of therapy. [link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
01-28-2016 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Provent
Do Google searches for Provent research and Provent reviews. Ignore the ones from their own site, of course.

If you have very mild OSA, do not breathe with your mouth open, do not have any nasal issues, do not mind spending more for a single year's worth of a disposable product than you would on a single non-disposable machine designed to last a minimum of 5 yrs, if you do not mind having a treatment that cannot be tracked for effectiveness outside of a sleep lab, go ahead.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-28-2016 03:16 PM
marcus10 Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Dreamwear
Humidifier: Airsense 10
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 12

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Hi there

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea late last year with mild OSA and AHI of 9.5 but frequent RERAs. I was really wanting to avoid CPAP for all the reasons people initially do so bought a 30 day pack of Provent.

It didn't work for me. You are told to go to sleep with your mouth open as you'll switch to nasal breathing when you fall asleep. What this meant is I would wake up several times a night with a mouth feeling like cardboard. I found it impossible to nose breath whilst falling asleep (this resistance is the point of the therapy).

Since then, I've moved to CPAP and haven't looked back. Once you get over the appearance and vanity issues etc and look to the benefits of ongoing CPAP, things like Provent became irrelevant. I'm sure it works for some, but not for me.
01-29-2016 04:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Online

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
My sleep doctor gave me a prescription to try it due to my struggles with Pap therapy. As an aside, he had written one for a 30 day starter pack but I found a place that would give me a 10 day supply so I wouldn't be out as much money if it didn't work.

I was only able to try it once for a nap and of course, that was too limited amount of time to really report anything. The reasons I haven't given it a longer try are I find it very hard to get the placement of the patches correct on the face in spite of watching the video. I also found it hard to fall asleep with them on.

But if you have greatly struggled with pap therapy in spite of doing everything to optimize your data and don't mind the risk of losing money since insurance doesn't cover it, it seems like a reasonable thing to try before moving on to dental device, which has more side effects. And of course, if you can breath through your nose, it makes sense to try before resorting to surgical options.

Yes, it is true you have no way of measuring effectiveness. But in my opinion, if you can't tolerate the treatment in which effectiveness can be measured no matter what you have tried, then that is a negative one has to deal with

For people who know they significantly desaturate, I guess using an oximeter at night would be helpful. Since I don't, I would have to go by feel which would be tricky.

Again, I think we all agree that cpap is the optimal treatment. But when that isn't possible, one has to pick the best alternative option in spite of the negatives vs. going untreated.

49er
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 06:01 AM by 49er.)
01-29-2016 05:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Treatment] Provent bennett 16 1,059 04-12-2016 04:10 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  The ProVent Thread stcrim 3 885 07-08-2015 09:55 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  Experience with Provent? EmilySleeps 37 6,681 01-07-2015 05:12 AM
  Breathing with Provent Combination Therapy PTKen 4 2,699 07-30-2013 06:38 PM
  [News] Provent Reportedly Goes Out of Business ApneaNews 26 10,563 04-26-2013 02:20 AM
Last Post: boomer235
  Provent westozman 6 3,855 05-17-2012 05:59 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Provent JJJ 7 3,992 05-09-2012 11:04 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2