Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Provent
Provent
Has anyone tried an apnea therapy called Provent? My friend gave me a few and I am going to try it tonight. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of this type of therapy. [link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Provent
Do Google searches for Provent research and Provent reviews. Ignore the ones from their own site, of course.

If you have very mild OSA, do not breathe with your mouth open, do not have any nasal issues, do not mind spending more for a single year's worth of a disposable product than you would on a single non-disposable machine designed to last a minimum of 5 yrs, if you do not mind having a treatment that cannot be tracked for effectiveness outside of a sleep lab, go ahead.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea late last year with mild OSA and AHI of 9.5 but frequent RERAs. I was really wanting to avoid CPAP for all the reasons people initially do so bought a 30 day pack of Provent.

It didn't work for me. You are told to go to sleep with your mouth open as you'll switch to nasal breathing when you fall asleep. What this meant is I would wake up several times a night with a mouth feeling like cardboard. I found it impossible to nose breath whilst falling asleep (this resistance is the point of the therapy).

Since then, I've moved to CPAP and haven't looked back. Once you get over the appearance and vanity issues etc and look to the benefits of ongoing CPAP, things like Provent became irrelevant. I'm sure it works for some, but not for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor gave me a prescription to try it due to my struggles with Pap therapy. As an aside, he had written one for a 30 day starter pack but I found a place that would give me a 10 day supply so I wouldn't be out as much money if it didn't work.

I was only able to try it once for a nap and of course, that was too limited amount of time to really report anything. The reasons I haven't given it a longer try are I find it very hard to get the placement of the patches correct on the face in spite of watching the video. I also found it hard to fall asleep with them on.

But if you have greatly struggled with pap therapy in spite of doing everything to optimize your data and don't mind the risk of losing money since insurance doesn't cover it, it seems like a reasonable thing to try before moving on to dental device, which has more side effects. And of course, if you can breath through your nose, it makes sense to try before resorting to surgical options.

Yes, it is true you have no way of measuring effectiveness. But in my opinion, if you can't tolerate the treatment in which effectiveness can be measured no matter what you have tried, then that is a negative one has to deal with

For people who know they significantly desaturate, I guess using an oximeter at night would be helpful. Since I don't, I would have to go by feel which would be tricky.

Again, I think we all agree that cpap is the optimal treatment. But when that isn't possible, one has to pick the best alternative option in spite of the negatives vs. going untreated.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provent Therapy - Where Can I Find It? JustinFL 2 696 07-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Last Post: HelenB
  My Last 3 Weeks On Provent BG50 5 1,303 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Last Post: vrapche031
  Experience with Provent? EmilySleeps 38 13,942 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Mrussell
  Newbie question about travel: CPAP or Provent? foxwoodfarm 8 1,932 08-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Anybody has experience with the Provent system? Russatrice 10 3,021 12-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Provent bennett 16 3,719 04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  The ProVent Thread stcrim 3 2,106 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.