Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Provent
Provent
Today I went to the sleep doc to discuss my tribulations with the CPAP machine. We discussed alternatives, and concluded that I should consult a dentist re mouth appliances and a surgeon as to whether I would be a good candidate for surgery. In the meantime, however, I walked out of her office with a trial pack of ten Provent devices. If I can tolerate them I'll have to go back to her for a sleep study to gauge their effectiveness.

Tonight will be my first trial. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Provent
Oh cool. I look forward to hearing how/if they work.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is the Provent device covered by your insurance?? It isn't covered under mine so it made my decision about this option easy.

Cool

Best of luck with them. Please post a review when you get a chance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't think it was covered by any insurance yet. But he did say it was a trial pack. It would be good business to give out a few to get folks to buy them.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2012, 06:20 PM)cbramsey Wrote: Is the Provent device covered by your insurance?? It isn't covered under mine so it made my decision about this option easy.

I know it is not covered by Medicare. I can't speak for other insurance. My doc said it would be $80-90 a month. If I have to pay, I have to pay. What would you do if you are too clausrophobic to tolerate a CPAP mask? Just die young from the complications?

I managed to use the CPAP machine one night out of three, but often woke up finding that I had ripped the alien thing off my face and was lying on it.

My doc felt that I had the best possibility with the dental appliance, then Provent, and surgery last. We're trying Provent first because it is only $25 for a ten day supply. I'm just worried that it might be just as suffocating as a CPAP mask.

I'll definitely post about my experience. Stay tuned.Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2012, 06:50 PM)JJJ Wrote: What would you do if you are too clausrophobic to tolerate a CPAP mask? Just die young from the complications?
No I would recommend this wiki to read "Tips for new CPAP users"
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Also remind them of the following
By using your PAP regularly, you are taking control of your health and making a positive choice for your future and wellbeing.

CPAP is a treatment not a cure unless it's on your nose or over your face, it's not going to be helping you when you're sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply
Terrible night. If you have a fear of suffocation, forget Provent. I thought the CPAP machine terrified me, but this is worse. Sad

Next stop: Dentist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I was afraid of that. It just didn't seem like it would make breathing out any very easy. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Someone else (Jenny?) is trying out a mouth piece and I think it was working for her. Hopefully it will for you, too.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provent Therapy - Where Can I Find It? JustinFL 2 664 07-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Last Post: HelenB
  My Last 3 Weeks On Provent BG50 5 1,265 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Last Post: vrapche031
  Experience with Provent? EmilySleeps 38 13,869 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Mrussell
  Newbie question about travel: CPAP or Provent? foxwoodfarm 8 1,916 08-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Anybody has experience with the Provent system? Russatrice 10 2,994 12-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Provent bennett 16 3,679 04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Provent app1nag 3 2,286 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Last Post: 49er

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.