Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Provigil and sleep apnea
Provigil and sleep apnea
My son has DS and also sleep apnea. The machine wasn't doing it. So
Provigil was added. He seems somewhat better and more awake.
Has anyone else used this medication and what experiences have you had?Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Provigil and sleep apnea
My spouse takes provigil and has Sleep Apnea and uses a CPAP. Been using both for years.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Provigil. Also have used the longer acting Nuvigil, but Provigil is less expensive. It helps keep me awake so I can function during the day- drive, awake during appointments, etc. Even on therapy I still have Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. I don't feel any speed like side effects, it doesn't give me energy. If I need a nap and take the Provigil then it won't keep me awake. But, it's pretty good at keeping me functional during the day with no discernible side effects except the hit to my wallet. Have to take it first thing in the morning. I don't think it's habit forming, or abusable.
Post Reply Post Reply
just FYI: PROVIGIL is a federally controlled substance (C-IV), so use PROVIGIL only as directed and keep in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. It is against the law to sell or give PROVIGIL to another person.

schedule c-5 is the lowest controlled drug class and this one is in 4. so the potential is there if someone were to abuse it. schedule 2 is the highest with things like morphine. schedule 1 is illegal drugs.

here are other drugs in c-4:

Narcotics
ACSCN Drug
9167 Not more than 1 milligram of difenoxin and not less than 25 micrograms of atropine sulfate per dosage unit
9278 Dextropropoxyphene

Depressants
ACSCN Drug
2882 Alprazolam
2145 Barbital
2748 Bromazepam
2749 Camazepam
2460 Chloral betaine
2465 Chloral hydrate
2744 Chlordiazepoxide
2751 Clobazam
2737 Clonazepam
2768 Clorazepate
2752 Clotiazepam
2753 Cloxazolam
2754 Delorazepam
2765 Diazepam
2467 Dichloraphenazone
2756 Estazolam
2540 Ethchlorvynol
2545 Ethinamate
2758 Ethyl loflazepate
2759 Fludiazepam
2763 Flunitrazepam†
2767 Flurazepam
2762 Halazepam
2771 Haloxazolam
2772 Ketazolam
2773 Loprazolam
2885 Lorazepam
2774 Lormetazepam
2800 Mebutamate
2836 Medazepam
2820 Meprobamate
2264 Methohexital
2250 Methylphenobarbital (mephobarbital)
2884 Midazolam
2837 Nimetazepam
2834 Nitrazepam
2838 Nordiazepam
2835 Oxazepam
2839 Oxazolam
2585 Paraldehyde
2591 Petrichloral
2285 Phenobarbital
2883 Pinazepam
2764 Prazepam
2881 Quazepam
2925 Temazepam†
2886 Tetrazepam
2887 Triazolam
2781 Zaleplon
2783 Zolpidem
2784 Zopiclone

†Flunitrazepam has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for medical use, and is considered to be an illegal drug.
†Temazepam may require a specially coded prescription in certain States.
[edit] FenfluramineACSCN Drug
1670 Fenfluramine

Stimulants
ACSCN Drug
1230 Cathine
1610 Diethylpropion
1760 Fencamfamin
1575 Fenproporex
1605 Mazindol
1580 Mefenorex
1680 Modafinil and stereoisomer armodafinil
1530 Pemoline
1640 Phentermine
1750 Pipradrol
1675 Sibutramine
1635 (-)-1-dimethylamino- 1,2-diphenylethane

Others
ACSCN Drug
9709 Pentazocine
9720 Butorphanol

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Too much information, the thread is about Provigil. I have not found it to give any pleasurable feelings that woulde lead me to abuse the drug. It serves a very special purpose and is probably safer than other CNS stimulants. You left a bunch of stimulants off your list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 12:41 PM)zimlich Wrote: Too much information, the thread is about Provigil. I have not found it to give any pleasurable feelings that woulde lead me to abuse the drug. It serves a very special purpose and is probably safer than other CNS stimulants. You left a bunch of stimulants off your list.

i took the list from wikipedia as an example of what schedule 4 is. other stimulants may be schedule 3 or 5 for whatever reason or the list was incomplete. by definition, being in the federal controlled drug schedule means it is abusable some way, somehow by somone in some form. that's all i was saying. of course i realize anything can be abused. yousaid you didn't think it was abusable. i was saying it can be. but you're right it has nothing to do with the rest of the conversation.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I stand corrected, and apologize to greatunclebill, and the forum. There is never too much information when it comes to the medicines we put into our bodies. I have heard from other people for whom Provigil felt like "speed". Just because it doesn't affect me that way does not mean it's a safe drug for everyone.
I take so many medicines and depend on them for my quality of life that I tend to forget that even I can over do it with my pills. I only wish I didn't depend on the medicines I take to the extent that I do. I just last Monday changed over to an ASV machine in the hopes that that would eliminate my need for Provigil.
I would advise anyone starting Provigil to start with a low dose until they know how they react to the drug.
Again, my apologies for having a closed mind and not appreciating the information that greatunclebill went to the trouble of posting (and researching).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 02:20 PM)zimlich Wrote: I stand corrected, and apologize to greatunclebill, and the forum. There is never too much information when it comes to the medicines we put into our bodies. I have heard from other people for whom Provigil felt like "speed". Just because it doesn't affect me that way does not mean it's a safe drug for everyone.
I take so many medicines and depend on them for my quality of life that I tend to forget that even I can over do it with my a pill can help attitude toward pharmaceuticals. I only wish I didn't depend on the medicines I take to the extent that I do. I just last Monday changed over to an ASV machine in the hopes that that would eliminate my need for Provigil.
I would advise anyone starting Provigil to start with a low dose until they know how they react to the drug.
Again, my apologies for having a closed mind and not appreciating the information that greatunclebill went to the trouble of posting (and researching).

no need to apologize. we all have a passion for this and wouldn't be here if we didn't. pills, you say, my wife and i take 20 pills a day between the 2 of us in addition to my 2 sprays and our apap's. it scares me when i think that i couldn't afford to be homeless. if i went to live under a bridge i would die from lack of medical care.

when thinking about abuse you have to think outside the box away from simply getting high. something innocent like sudafed that doesn't normally get ya high turns out to be a key ingredient in crystal meth and in that sense is highly abusable. in alabama we can buy it at a pharmacy but it is controlled. in mississippi when we go there it is controlled by a prescription from a doctor. no more otc.

there i go running my yap again. LOL.....

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I started on Provigil....then Ritalin...and now Nuvigil. Nuvigil is cheaper than Provigil. They charged like $1150 for 60x200mg of Provigil, so my co-insurance was a hair less than $400 a month. Nuvigil is like $400 a month for 30 pills (same price for 150mg or 250mg)....so my co-insurance should've been $240, but I'm only paying $140 (apparently I got the override to get the preferred brand rate, instead of the non-preferred brand rate) Though they wouldn't do that for Lunesta, since only one of the two drugs previously tried wasn't off-label.

Provigil worked when I started...but then it kind of didn't. Ritalin was a roller coaster and mostly not, so switched 'back' to Nuvigil. Mornings are slow...but it gets me through the afternoon/early evening. And, it isn't so bumpy.

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been taking Modafinil for 5 months, gradually up to 50mg 1x in morn.

While it makes me mentally alert it makes me feel like crap all the time, so much so that I want to stop taking it.

I have moderate sleep apnea, and persistent daytime fatigue that has cost me jobs.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,819 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.