Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Public Service Announcement
I think I've done one of these before but couldn't find it.

As a Public Service Announcement:

- With each time change, if your smoke/CO alarms have batteries that are changeable, change them.
- If your smoke/CO alarms are hard wired or have long-life batteries, push the test button to make sure they are still working.
- If you have the long-life type, do you know when you bought it? If you remember, write the year on the alarm so you will never forget! If you don't remember, then toss it and get another. Better to be safe than sorry!
- If you do not have a smoke/CO alarm, well, nice to know you. A CO alarm is a must if you have any kind of open flame appliance including gas cooking stove, gas water heater, etc. I nearly lost my brother and his family to this. If his mother-in-law had not come by to get something, we would have. He told her they were all sick with a stomach bug and he would bring whatever she was coming to get out to her. As he stood outside to wait for her, he realized how much better he was feeling. He mentioned this to her and she ran in to grab his wife while he grabbed the kids.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-26-2013 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DOOM_NX Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Weinmann JOYCE SilkGel
Humidifier: ResMed H5i + ClimateLine (not using year-round)
CPAP Pressure: 5–16 cmH2O
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: 12/2011: Mild SAS (AHI 14.5) - 10/2013: Severe SAS (AHI 78.7) - Using AutoCPAP: AHI 1.4

Sex: Male

RE: Public Service Announcement
Thank you! No CO sources inside my house, but good reminder nevertheless! Smile
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 06:10 PM by DOOM_NX.)
10-26-2013 06:10 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

We just moved recently and I was looking at new smoke alarms and CO detectors... there was a rather large price difference in the smoke alarms... from $7 or so on up to $30 and more. I'm just wondering if there's that big of a difference if you go with the more costly smoke alarms? I know there's a difference on CO detectors, but smoke alarms too? Dont-know

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-26-2013 07:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

Name brand and the type of battery I think. The ones with the battery that cannot be replaced can be expensive but they last like 10 yrs.

We got a cheap smoke alarm and an expensive CO alarm. The cheap smoke alarm started beeping after a year. I changed the batteries. It wouldn't stop beeping. No matter what we did, it just would not stop. So we took the batteries back out. And there it sits. I hit the 'net looking for directions but couldn't find anything. The CO alarm is working fine. Started talking to me one morning a month ago, really freaked me out. Said "batteries are low" every half hour. Took me all day to figure out what was talking to me (thought maybe God needed a boost or something). Finally found it when it started beeping. Changed the batteries and it's been fine.

So don't go cheap.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-26-2013 10:21 PM
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

Does anyone know of a CO alarm that can be used in a 14' x 60' trailer? The CO alarms I've seen say they have to be placed so many feet from a door... or a wall... and there just isn't any place in a trailer I can find that can accommodate these requirements. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PaulaO2, when our smoke detectors "beep" for no good reason, we've sometimes found lint or (yes...) a tiny spider living in there (probably catching microscopic things that are attracted to the light in the alarm). And the hard-wired smoke detector drives me crazy when we have a power outage! Chirps through the entire outage.
10-27-2013 12:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Have you tried going to a mobile home supplier place? We have a few businesses here that sell stuff for mobile homes. The special "stuff" they need like the heating units, roofing, etc. You could also try contacting a place that sells them. They might know of where to get one. Or the fire department.

Huh, never thought of that, the lint thing. I'll see if I can find it and blow it out. I got a blower I use on the computers. Dust is our demon at this house.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-27-2013 06:46 PM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

(10-26-2013 07:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  We just moved recently and I was looking at new smoke alarms and CO detectors... there was a rather large price difference in the smoke alarms... from $7 or so on up to $30 and more. I'm just wondering if there's that big of a difference if you go with the more costly smoke alarms? I know there's a difference on CO detectors, but smoke alarms too? Dont-know

There can be a big difference. We spent a small fortune on some a couple years ago based on the recommendation of a fire fighter we know...I'd have to check the name brand when I get home....

The CO detectors have a bio-mimic circuit of some sort to avoid false alarms and false-zeros....if they go off, we gtho!

The smoke / fire detectors we got were two types...a thermal with a mechanical alarm (it gets warm enough, a disc melts and sets off the alarm...good for someplace like the attic where you don't go often) and an electronic smoke detector that wasn't the usual PID you get at Lowes or Home Depot.

The electronic ones are pretty high end....cross linked (one goes off, they all go off until you hit the silence button, then only the triggered one stays on), they all have thermal sensors (temp rises too fast, they go off) and their third sensor doesn't trigger on the toaster, but it sure does go off if you have a real fire (we had drippings in the burner guard light beneath a big pan...we didn't see it right away, but whatever these things sense from a real fire, it sure sensed it!) I'll see if I can pull out some info for you when I get home.
10-28-2013 04:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Local fire departments really do not mind to give out advice on what to get. They often also have free ones available for those who cannot afford it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-28-2013 05:50 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Smoke detectors OK.
Buying new CO2 Detector today.
Coffee
10-29-2013 10:33 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sleep Apnea and Service Dogs PaulaO2 17 9,741 11-07-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Mind If I Complain About Poor Customer Service? Schnauzers 5 15 3,195 05-17-2015 11:49 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  need some legal help protecting a idea for public domain space45 7 1,240 04-06-2014 04:12 PM
Last Post: DocWils