Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long-time APAP user, having trouble with formerly successful settings
Long-time APAP user, having trouble with formerly successful settings
I've recently started APAP therapy after a hiatus.

A few years ago I discovered I had a wheat allergy that was causing a large amount of inflammation in my airway, making it very difficult to breathe each night. Despite this, APAP therapy was able to give me restful sleep and I was a productive member of society. After cutting wheat out of my diet I was able to breathe fine and my chronic fatigue was mostly gone, so I discontinued APAP therapy, which in hindsight was unwise.

Around six months ago my chronic fatigue returned, and has gotten significantly worse since. I've reacquired my Phillips Dreamstation and have restarted my APAP therapy.

The old settings (Auto pressure 5.5/12, A-Flex 3) worked great for me before, but don't seem to anymore. I'm definitely getting better sleep, but not nearly well enough, as my fatigue and brain fog are so bad that most days I can only work 1-2 hours or none at all. This is severely affecting my ability to do even basic tasks.

Settings I've tried:

-Pressure 6.50/9.00, A-Flex 3
-Pressure 5.50/7.00-9.00-12.00, A-Flex 3

Having the pressure at 6.50 felt a little overwhelming, but it was manageable. I tried 7.0 for a few minutes and even with A-Flex at 3 I felt the pressure was trying to stuff air into my lungs and keep it there-- exhaling was very difficult. I definitely slept worse with minimum pressure at 6.50 which worries me, as this limits my range of effective treatment. I have a hunch that the lower quality sleep may be due to positional apnea, though a few years ago I was able to keep my AHI consistently below 5.0 whether sleeping on my back or side.

I've attached screenshots of a day from a few years ago along with most of my recent days of treatment (I forgot to put my SD card back into my machine for a few of them so I don't have flow rate data, I left those days out)

A few years ago:

This week:

More data uploaded to this Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/eECkFVN

Thank you for your time, I very much appreciate it
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long-time APAP user, having trouble with formerly successful settings
I may have been correct regarding the positional apnea, the past few nights I've made a conscious effort to prevent chin tucking while keeping my neck/spine aligned and it seems to have made a difference.

Another factor may have been frequent arousals, so I did what I could to block light from my window. Last night was the best night of sleep I've gotten in the ten or so days I've had my machine, 3.94 AHI and I feel mostly rested. Still room to improve but I feel like I can function today, I'm over the moon. It's been miserable living with chronic brain fog and fatigue and for the first time in half a year I almost feel normal Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 4 111 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 75 1,358 Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Inspiration and Expiration Time MrIvanDrago 18 1,080 Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  My insp time is always longer than my exp time...is that bad? jake79 2 65 Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jake79
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 1 80 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 176 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 160 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.