Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Puffiness and Swelling
Angry 
Puffiness and Swelling
I need some advice on extreme puffiness and swelling under my eyes into my cheeks  in the morning which lasts too long.  My pressures are on the high side and my full face mask is tight. I am using the Airtouch F20.

KiwI suggested a low salt diet ,  anyone else have this issue?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Puffiness and Swelling
I had it before my OSA dianosis last year. I lost about 40lbs and no longer have the problem.
I also started to use my machine with nasal mask at lower pressures.
I still have too much sodium in my diet as my blood pressure is borderline high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having your mask too tight can cause the swelling. You might want to try nasal pillows like the P10 mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well I could lose 5 pounds....

I am not a candidate for nasal pillows - I would love to go back to them
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:55 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: I need some advice on extreme puffiness and swelling under my eyes into my cheeks  in the morning which lasts too long.  My pressures are on the high side and my full face mask is tight. I am using the Airtouch F20.

KiwI suggested a low salt diet ,  anyone else have this issue?

All suggestions on low salt diet are good. But that takes time to implement...so while you are working on this diet thing, try this:

Keep a couple teaspoons in the freezer overnight. Place in a baggie to keep clean.
When you get up in the morning, place the outer rounded part or back of the spoon under your eyes. Hold there as long as you can. This reduces puffiness almost immediately.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal Rose!
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
You are welcome! Hope it helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been having EXTREME swelling under my eyes and ear pain. I also have developed eyes bags that are filled with fluid. My sleep doctor/pulmonologist recommended an ENT. The ENT has recommended that I try using nasal pillows, but it will require nasal surgery before I can do that. He suggested that the mask could be preventing the sinus cavities from draining properly. The fluid usually goes down after four or five hours, but it takes two or three days of not using my CPAP to go down completely. I was using the AirTouch memory foam mask and the ENT said the mask was causing the fluid. I do not want to have nasal surgery since there is no guarantee that it will solve the problem. So…I tried the ResMed F30i and the Fisher Paykel Evora mask hoping they might, but they did not.
I read other comments recommending a low sodium diet. I eat mostly fresh foods and use very little salt so I would be quite surprised if sodium is my culprit, but I am certainly willing to eliminate even the little sale that I use if it will help. I try to leave my mask as loose as possible, but because I am small framed and thin I’ve had a lot of trouble getting a mask that fits without leaking.
I’m really hoping that someone who has had success eliminating this problem will post recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 335 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,267 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel
  [Diagnosis] swelling about the eyes chrisrutledge 3 1,518 12-09-2018, 02:46 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Sinus Swelling Preventing ASV Use NM Kaz 8 1,819 11-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile Hello. Newbie here with mask pain/swelling issues Snoozygirl 5 1,510 05-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Snoozygirl
  Eye puffiness as a result of cpap ran-man 8 7,252 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Kayak18
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 1,924 09-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.