cowboy1970 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Puritan Bennett Breeze
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: around 11 now (2/20/13)
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Try not to think about a spider crawling up your nose from inside your tubing as your drift off. lol

Sex: Male

Puffy Eyes
I don't drink or smoke or other things that cause puffy eyes. Of course, I did suffer from sleep apnea and insomnia for the last couple years, but my puffy eyes or dark circles always went away over time.

Now that I have been doing CPAP therapy for over a year now, I have noticed that everyday I wake up with puffy eyes that DO NOT go away. I have lowered my air pressure and my data shows that my machine doesn't even reach that upper limit anyway (ResMed S9 AutoSet).

Any advice? Others affected? I referring specifically to bags under my eyes.
02-18-2014 11:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
herbm Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

RE: Puffy Eyes
How long do you sleep?

Do you use your machine for ALL sleeping? (or how much?)

What is your AHI?

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 11:25 PM by herbm.)
02-18-2014 11:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i set at 86/4
CPAP Pressure: 18/8 how this is auto I dunno
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: DONATE TO APNEA BOARD IF YOU'VE RECEIVED HELP YOU CAN'T GET FROM YOUR DOC OR RT!

Sex: Undisclosed

allergies maybe or maybe you are getting air blown in your eyes? just a few thoughts
02-19-2014 01:33 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Nuance (non-pro)
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

You have the Breeze, so it's not air in your eyes.

What's happening is the air pressure can sometimes cause moisture from the sinuses to come out the tear duct. I sometimes wake up with one or both eyes glued shut then they will be puffy for the rest of the day.

If your eyes are puffy all the time, see your GP or an eye doc to discuss if there is anything you can do to help it out. I have dry eyes due and use artificial tears stuff. I've not thought to see if there's any connection between when I do and do not use it and when my eyes get puffy.

I think it is a cold cloth on the face that helps with puffy eyes (like from crying). You can also try that.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-19-2014 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
justMongo Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 20 IPAPmax - 10 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I'm an Engineer, not a Physician.

Location: Uelzener Landkreis, Niedersachsen, Bundesrepublik Deutschland

(02-19-2014 11:13 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  What's happening is the air pressure can sometimes cause moisture from the sinuses to come out the tear duct. I sometimes wake up with one or both eyes glued shut then they will be puffy for the rest of the day.

Got that alright. The tear duct in the corner of the eye, next to the nose, is actually a drain that connects directly with the sinuses. My xPAP blows "crud" from the sinuses into my eyes.

I am not a doctor; nor am I in the healthcare field. I'm a retired engineer.
Kindest Regards,
Mongo

"Informieren Sie jede Nation, ob sie uns wohl oder krank wünscht, dass wir jeden Preis zahlen, irgendeine Belastung tragen, jede mögliche Härte treffen, irgendeinen Freund stützen, gegen jeden Feind, um das Überleben und den Erfolg der Freiheit zu sichern." John F Kennedy, 20 Januar 1961

[Image: A1E-avatar-228x100.jpg] A1 Skyraider. Close Air Support and Combat Air Patrol. RVN.
02-19-2014 11:20 AM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

This makes me wonder now about something going on with my eyes. Mine seem very susceptible to water very easily when cold air hits them or a breeze from a fan and even bright sunlight will trigger it. I can't get them to stop tearing sometimes and people often think I have been crying. They did it occasionally before I began CPAP and I have been told chemo will cause it so I have attributed it to that ... although I have been away from that for several years now. Seems much more often and severe recently. Wonder if the CPAP has anything to do with it.
02-19-2014 12:46 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Yup. I got "The Breeze" bad enough such that I have to use a total face mask to keep the air pressure equal outside the eyesocket as well. I use a good bit of pressure too.
I dont like the mask as much but...No Puffy Eyes!
Zero. Zip.

Why dont the techs know this stuff by now? *glare*

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
02-19-2014 04:04 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Nuance (non-pro)
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

(02-19-2014 12:46 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:  This makes me wonder now about something going on with my eyes. Mine seem very susceptible to water very easily when cold air hits them or a breeze from a fan and even bright sunlight will trigger it. I can't get them to stop tearing sometimes and people often think I have been crying. They did it occasionally before I began CPAP and I have been told chemo will cause it so I have attributed it to that ... although I have been away from that for several years now. Seems much more often and severe recently. Wonder if the CPAP has anything to do with it.

I'm sure it's not helping any. But CPAP would only make it do it during the night. It wouldn't have anything to do with it during the day. Other than lasting effects such as puffiness/swelling.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-19-2014 04:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  help- bags under my eyes readyforsleep 3 326 05-13-2014 02:35 PM
Last Post: Tez62
  [News] Sleep apnea can affect your eyes ApneaNews 0 441 05-12-2014 02:10 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  [Health] Dry eyes! Tigerlily 10 2,205 03-17-2013 10:22 PM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
  Questions from a new user - sore eyes and sleeping pills Suzanne 8 3,382 10-19-2012 07:55 AM
Last Post: zimlich
  Red Eyes willisclarke 10 2,993 03-20-2012 09:27 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill