Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Puffy Eyes & Air from Mask
Puffy Eyes & Air from Mask
Hi all,

I've seen posts about puffy eyes being due to leaks from around masks. My issue is the air that is expelled from the mask blowing against my eyes/face. Is there a way to redirect this air so that it doesn't blow into my eyes and face?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Puffy Eyes & Air from Mask
My mask is also leaking at the bridge of the nose now. I'm supposed to receive a new cushion this week, and I hope it helps. Maybe this one is worn out? I woke up a few times last night, because of the leaks. I empathize.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JVinNE,

The air that is bothering me is actually that which comes from the vent. I sleep on my side and can't seem to find a good way to redirect the air so that it doesn't blow in my eyes/face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping air out of eyes
  1. eyemask
  2. P-10 airfit (diffused venting)
  3. Engineer some kind of cone... someone posted about doing that once, i saw it... seems uncomfy)

Mitigating the swelling after the fact
  1. Caffeine containing eyecreams
  2. Xlear nasal spray (sinus drainage helps)
  3. teabags, cucumbers, coldspoons
  4. lymph drainage facial massage - there are several howto videos on youtube
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DariaVader,

You mentioned the P10 as a way to deal with the problem, but I have the AirFit P10 and the info on my CPAP says no air leaks. Maybe I could try the eyemask? Do you happen to know if the puffiness is due to air into the eyes, or is it just generally air into the sinuses?
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I had the P10, I had a FX pillows. The eye swelling I get with the FX is monstrously more than what I get with the P10, and it is the vents that make it different. I don't have a lot of leaking with either, but I think the FX actually fit me better other than the venting, I really liked it.

Seems like there are several factors that contribute to eye swelling, and more than one of them is a factor for me... your factors may be different than mine.
  • Sinus congestion gets pushed up the ducts and into the eyelids
  • Air blowing into eyes, either from vents or leakage
  • the mask straps may impede the flow of lymph
  • CPAP Therapy in general may cause greater water retention, especially in those who already have a water retention issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 01:17 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Seems like there are several factors that contribute to eye swelling, and more than one of them is a factor for me... your factors may be different than mine.
  • Sinus congestion gets pushed up the ducts and into the eyelids
  • Air blowing into eyes, either from vents or leakage
  • the mask straps may impede the flow of lymph
  • CPAP Therapy in general may cause greater water retention, especially in those who already have a water retention issue.

I would guess that all of the above apply to me, unfortunately. I wake up with the nasal congestion and eye/face puffiness when I am really compliant with my CPAP.

Have you heard whether folks who can tolerate the nasal pillows have LESS of these problems than those of us with face/full masks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Is the vent of your mask hitting something then hitting you in the eyes? If so, is there a way to eliminate whatever it is hitting?

Is it the design of the mask itself that is aiming the air up at such a stupid angle it is hitting you in the eyes? If so, get another mask.

Or, just get another mask period. Each mask vents differently (different directions, some are even angle adjustable) so try one that isn't going to irritate you. And air hitting your eyes from whatever source of the mask is inviting all sorts of problems. Infections. Particles that dry out and scratch your eye when you move your eyeball against the eyelid. Etc.

If the swelling is due to pressure from inside your sinuses, not much you can do. You can try some dry eye drops to help with it, though. By lubricating the eye, it helps keep the opening from drying out and lets stuff flow better. Avoid eye drops with preservatives. Someone said there is one that is a gel that will last longer. I've not found it locally yet. I still use eye drops right before going to bed and it has helped with the morning "crusties" I get.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 02:04 PM)drpjfitz Wrote: I would guess that all of the above apply to me, unfortunately. I wake up with the nasal congestion and eye/face puffiness when I am really compliant with my CPAP.

Have you heard whether folks who can tolerate the nasal pillows have LESS of these problems than those of us with face/full masks?

They all apply to me as well. Paula has some good advice regarding mask changes and eye drops. Also she is correct that some of the air getting into the eyes is deflected. Hard to get around for a side sleeper like myself.

I can't really compare FFM to NP I have only ever tried the NP. There are several who say that this problem really goes away with a Total Face Mask such as the Fitlife... I have a hard time imagining using that, and have never tried - I have only been at this 6 mo. myself. Big Grin

Do try an eyecream with caffeine... (green tea, green coffee etc) it really alleviates a lot of puffiness quickly. Also I have had good success with sinuses using Xlear sinus spray - it contains xylitol and this soothes and moistens the membranes while making them inhospitable to pathogens. xylitol is toxic to dogs, so dont let the dog eat your xlear Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula and Daria-- I just looked at my FFM and I do think it's because I'm a side sleeper that it's a problem. I'm wondering if I had one of those hose management things, then my problem might be solved. Currently, I sling the tube onto my shoulder which results in the vent facing toward my face... :-(
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,093 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 921 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 511 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 794 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,220 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.