Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Puffy Eyes
Puffy Eyes
I don't drink or smoke or other things that cause puffy eyes. Of course, I did suffer from sleep apnea and insomnia for the last couple years, but my puffy eyes or dark circles always went away over time.

Now that I have been doing CPAP therapy for over a year now, I have noticed that everyday I wake up with puffy eyes that DO NOT go away. I have lowered my air pressure and my data shows that my machine doesn't even reach that upper limit anyway (ResMed S9 AutoSet).

Any advice? Others affected? I referring specifically to bags under my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Puffy Eyes
How long do you sleep?

Do you use your machine for ALL sleeping? (or how much?)

What is your AHI?
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
allergies maybe or maybe you are getting air blown in your eyes? just a few thoughts
Post Reply Post Reply
You have the Breeze, so it's not air in your eyes.

What's happening is the air pressure can sometimes cause moisture from the sinuses to come out the tear duct. I sometimes wake up with one or both eyes glued shut then they will be puffy for the rest of the day.

If your eyes are puffy all the time, see your GP or an eye doc to discuss if there is anything you can do to help it out. I have dry eyes due and use artificial tears stuff. I've not thought to see if there's any connection between when I do and do not use it and when my eyes get puffy.

I think it is a cold cloth on the face that helps with puffy eyes (like from crying). You can also try that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 12:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What's happening is the air pressure can sometimes cause moisture from the sinuses to come out the tear duct. I sometimes wake up with one or both eyes glued shut then they will be puffy for the rest of the day.

Got that alright. The tear duct in the corner of the eye, next to the nose, is actually a drain that connects directly with the sinuses. My xPAP blows "crud" from the sinuses into my eyes.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This makes me wonder now about something going on with my eyes. Mine seem very susceptible to water very easily when cold air hits them or a breeze from a fan and even bright sunlight will trigger it. I can't get them to stop tearing sometimes and people often think I have been crying. They did it occasionally before I began CPAP and I have been told chemo will cause it so I have attributed it to that ... although I have been away from that for several years now. Seems much more often and severe recently. Wonder if the CPAP has anything to do with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. I got "The Breeze" bad enough such that I have to use a total face mask to keep the air pressure equal outside the eyesocket as well. I use a good bit of pressure too.
I dont like the mask as much but...No Puffy Eyes!
Zero. Zip.

Why dont the techs know this stuff by now? *glare*

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 01:46 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: This makes me wonder now about something going on with my eyes. Mine seem very susceptible to water very easily when cold air hits them or a breeze from a fan and even bright sunlight will trigger it. I can't get them to stop tearing sometimes and people often think I have been crying. They did it occasionally before I began CPAP and I have been told chemo will cause it so I have attributed it to that ... although I have been away from that for several years now. Seems much more often and severe recently. Wonder if the CPAP has anything to do with it.

I'm sure it's not helping any. But CPAP would only make it do it during the night. It wouldn't have anything to do with it during the day. Other than lasting effects such as puffiness/swelling.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 12:02 AM)cowboy1970 Wrote: I don't drink or smoke or other things that cause puffy eyes. Of course, I did suffer from sleep apnea and insomnia for the last couple years, but my puffy eyes or dark circles always went away over time.

Now that I have been doing CPAP therapy for over a year now, I have noticed that everyday I wake up with puffy eyes that DO NOT go away. I have lowered my air pressure and my data shows that my machine doesn't even reach that upper limit anyway (ResMed S9 AutoSet).

Any advice? Others affected? I referring specifically to bags under my eyes.

One of the symptoms of a person suffering a sleep disorder is dark circles under the eyes. In fact it's almost certain the person (unless burning midnight oil), has sleep disordered breathing (SDB), & needs help from a sleep doc.
Nasal pillows masks use the best seal type known, which is, a taper. That said, nasal pillows don't leak as a rule, so it is very important when using them, not to have the max pressure set any higher than is necessary to control events.
High PA pressure in conjunction with nasal pillows in addition to splinting the airway to prevent its collapse also operates in all directions. Thus mouth leaks are common, so is aerophagia but the pressure also acts on the tear ducts running from the nasal cavities to the eyes, allowing air to escape via these ducts into the eyes. Try holding your nose & blowing hard. In most people air will bubble into the corners of their eyes.
Solution? - Set maximum PA pressure to the lowest possible level that doesn't compromise X-PAP therapy. It's all you can do. Other than that - change to a FFM, which scientifically makes good sense.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Shastzi is right the total face mask would prevent air blowing out of the Lachrymal ducts in the corner of your eyes and Mongo is right that it is a drain. Weird since I grew up thinking that the ducts in the corner of my eyes were "tear ducts" and that was where tears came from. What do you mean there is no Santa Claus. Huhsign

I was somewhat concerned about this because I was getting air through the lachrymal ducts occasionally when I switched to the Mirage Quattro mask and reduced my leak rates. I finally got a chance to ask an Ophthalmologist face to face what issues might be caused by this. He said the only thing to be concerned about was dry eyes which could make the eyes susceptible to a number of other problems. That squelched my concerns since i have no problem with dry eyes. He did tell me that if dry eyes were a problem during CPAP use there were 2 solutions. The first and easiest is to use a gel in your eyes during CPAP. The other solution that i did not like much was to plug the lachrymal ducts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,090 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 918 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 510 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 791 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Puffy Cheeks walt48 9 3,122 09-26-2022, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ErElf
  Puffy dry eyes thepiecesfit 7 1,466 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: walt48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.