Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulling off my mask, not remembering it.
Pulling off my mask, not remembering it.
I have a S9 Autoset with ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. I have noticed with my CPAP that during the night I'll take it off 4 to 5 hours in, and wake up without it. I did the same with a leg appliance that I had to wear for plantar fasciitis. I'd end up taking it off in my sleep after 4 or 5 hours in. Any suggestions on how to stop me from doing this? With the appliance I bought some velcro tape and I literally had to wake up to take it off. Any suggestions on how to do the same for this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulling off my mask, not remembering it.
humm. I dunno how that even happens.
I only pulled my mask loose once and immediately work up from the loud *THOOOM!* of air rushing out of it.
I see you have an Autoset. I bet it has a *mask off* alarm.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
you can use chinstrap so you,ll notice if the mask is removed or attach the straps with hair clips to keep the mask in place

are you checking the data on the machine (leak, prssure, AHI) and thru ResScan

you've figure out why you,re removing the mask, for example, mask discomfort, leaks, pressure, air feel cold or too warm, congestion, etc ..

this might help, Common problems with PAP, and possible solutions
http://ecomagic.org/apnea/CPAP%20problem...tions.html

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 03:52 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I see you have an Autoset. I bet it has a *mask off* alarm.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Sleep-well
the S9 should continue therapy even with high leaks
high leaks (over 24L/min) affect accuracy of the data and causing fragmented sleep which result in unrestful sleep

[Resmed bi-levels machines have a leak alert buzzer which may sound if the leak is greater than 40 L/min]

the S9 should only stop if the mask removed and smartstop is enabled
and if the hose disconnected from machine outlet or H5i lid is open/ajar

Post Reply Post Reply
Some people attach the hose to their pillow so that when they take off the mask, the noise is right there. It should wake you up.

The chinstrap would also work. Wear it on top of the straps so that you have to do more to get it off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Martha, don't feel lonely. I do the same thing after almost 2 months. I can't figure out why either. I woke up one morning and my mask was on the nightstand and the instrument was off. I still don't remember taking it off. I think it will pass as you and I get used to wearing it more. Dang, wonder what else I do in my sleep????
Post Reply Post Reply
This is fairly common. I haven't heard any really good solutions.

I think what happens is you actually wake up, decide to take it off (maybe "just for a minute"), and go back to sleep. We tend not to remember things we do if we wake up for just a minute and then go right back to sleep. Some people wake up in the morning and find the mask and hose neatly stored and the machine turned off.

We need some sort of option on the CPAP machine with a loud alarm that goes off when you turn the CPAP off for more than 5 minutes and you have to push a button on a remote control in another room before it will shut up. Or some sort of "drunk test" button sequence you have to be awake enough to enter before it will turn off.

I tried to figure out some sort of gadget you could kludge up that would make a loud noise if you turned the CPAP off or took the mask off, but didn't figure out anything that was easy for someone to build themselves.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
It hasn't happened for a while now but I had a problem a few months back where I was taking the mask off for an hour or so and putting it back on without knowing anything about it... The only evidence was the gap in the data on Sleepyhead.

The suggestion from other helpful folk on this board was that it down to aliens... Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Martha,

Don't feel alone in this. I have had my own CPAP for a little over a month now and I found that initially I tore my mask off often and for a long time. That is slowly decreasing. I find that I am imposing a little more discipline upon myself. When I am half awake and want to take the mask off I try to resist the temptation. It doesn't always work, but I think my body is slowly understanding that it will feel better if I leave it on. ( for instance Iaccording to my device I used it for 6 hours last night with an AHI of 3 as opposed to an AHI of 38 in the sleep lab)

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2013, 08:29 PM)Mike in Toronto Wrote: I have had my own CPAP for a little over a month now and I found that initially I tore my mask off often and for a long time. That is slowly decreasing. I find that I am imposing a little more discipline upon myself. When I am half awake and want to take the mask off I try to resist the temptation.

Hi Mike,

If the pressure is low when you feel like taking the mask off, it may help to raise your minimum pressure a little. Like 7 or 8 instead of 5.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] ResMed P10 Hose Pulling on Mask shenstone 5 788 01-17-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  having difficultly pulling in air on inhale gcritchley 10 1,125 09-03-2022, 07:51 AM
Last Post: gcritchley
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Pulling off my mask at night sesheridan 4 802 12-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Consequences of Pulling SD Card x3phillips 11 1,830 10-15-2020, 05:56 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.