Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulling off nasal pillow while sleeping
RE: Pulling off nasal pillow while sleeping
I find I agree with Herb agreeing with Pollcat agreeing with Herb.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your advice. I checked the advised settings and set 8, up from 7 and will try that. Downloaded and installed SleepyHead and reviewed the daily reports. It looks like I have an equal number of CL, Hypopnea and Obstructive events on average. I did not see a specific reason for taking off the "nose pillows" other than it just being uncomfortable...yes, it is time to "man-up." I found that there were many days when I had taken off the ventilator around 3 AM (after starting at my regular bed time of mid-night) and slept without it for 3 hours then put it back on and slept for 1 to 1 1/2 more. During the second sleep cycle, I had many more CA's and Hypopnea events than the earlier sleep cycle. (I have always put it on every time I lie down.) So, I will keep the darn thing on, maintain new setting of 8 and recheck my Obstructive readings in 5 days, review my findings with my Dr and ask for more time, and probably more importantly, keep a daily diet log for all food and drink after 4PM to identify any stimulants that need to be avoided. I have obtained a mild anti-depressant Trazidone 25mg to see if that will help. I also need more exercise and to loose a few pounds Smile I'll see what happens.

I also want to recognize the enormous knowledge base in this forum and so many that are willing to help us newbees. Thank You!
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that sounds like a plan IStopBreathing.

Find a way to wear the mask -- fix as many problems or issues as you can to make that as comfortable as possible.

People here know that I am constantly analyzing HOW to wear the mask most effectively and most comfortably. I have taken something as simple as donning or removing the mask and turned it into a 3-10 step process to do it perfectly.

For one thing, with my mask (a P10), I will NOT "Mess with" the mask while the pressure is on. I set the mask, turn on the machine. In the morning, I turn off the machine before removing the mask VERY CAREFULLY (so as not to pull or irritate the inside of my nose).

The most I tolerate is gently PRESSING INWARD on the P10 plate while wearing it. Once I learned not to push or bash my mask into my pillow and dislodge it, 98% of my issues with keeping it in place were CAUSE BY MESSING WITH IT in an attempt at placing it more accurately.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 10:17 AM)herbm Wrote: The most important thing for your therapy is to WEAR THE MASK.

You might consider a new mask as well. Maybe you don't like THIS mask.

Most people go through something like 5 to 8 masks before finding "The One".
I can support herbm's comments in my own experience. After several attempts with nose-type masks, I found that I simply cannot endure anything touching my nose. It's nice that they're small and light but...I found that I get along much better with a nice roomy full face mask. As everyone agrees, it's personal and you may need to experiment with masks until you find one you don't want to rip off.

Post Reply Post Reply
1st night of success Big Grin I got 10 hours of sleep on my back, with the nasal pillows...1st time in years. Setting is 8 and upped the Trazadone to 50mg. I have always had trouble with anxiety...(retired fireman), so I will work with this. I am doing well with the nasal pillows. At first it was fairly irritating, but I found that the harness straps were too tight. I had a mouth and nose pillow but had to have it really tight to seal...didn't work for me. About a year before I retired, I became claustrophobic and cant use anything "full face," so hopefully, we are now in good shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job Istop.... Keep up the good work and let us know how it's going. The thing about anxiety and being a retired fireman? Relax. The bell ain't gonna ring...........
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! A full (long) night's sleep with the mask.

This is at least half the battle.

The bell ain't gonna ring, and if it does you can ignore it (unless it's your own fire alarms. Smile )

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use a nasal pillow. As another reader indicated, I too wear my nasal pillow a good 2 hours before I go to bed to acclimate myself to the device. This being the onset of winter, what does wake me up is the cold air that blows onto my cheeks when there is a leak, but I resolve that by wiggling the nasal pillow until the air leak sound goes away. I did when I started the treatment rip the device off occasionally (I've only been treated since October 23), but have gotten use to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am overjoyed with my results posted below, been using my machine since September:

Details Last Session December November October September
CPAP Usage
Average Hours per Night 07:33 07:19 07:13 06:46 06:26
Compliance 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 0.93 1.14 0.60 0.66 1.06
Obstructive Apnea Index 0.79 1.03 0.48 0.59 0.94
Hypopnea Index 0.13 0.10 0.12 0.06 0.08
Clear Airway Apnea Index 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2014, 11:14 PM)PANDMFITZ Wrote: I am overjoyed with my results posted below, been using my machine since September:

Details Last Session December November October September
CPAP Usage
Average Hours per Night 07:33 07:19 07:13 06:46 06:26
Compliance 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 0.93 1.14 0.60 0.66 1.06
Obstructive Apnea Index 0.79 1.03 0.48 0.59 0.94
Hypopnea Index 0.13 0.10 0.12 0.06 0.08
Clear Airway Apnea Index 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Hi PANDMFITZ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Looks like you are off to a great start, keep up the good work, much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 992 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 245 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,093 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 996 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 287 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.