Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulmonary Pain under BiPap
Pulmonary Pain under BiPap
After a longer period of being non-compliant my cardiologist convinced my to start a mew attempt with my BiPaP-Therapy (reason: OSA, non-tolerated CpaP, Intubation Pressure: 5 - 11 cm2).

In the morning I felt not so relaxed as I would assume it, but there is also a further symptom:
after switching off the mashine und putting off the mask from my nose, the single breaths are painfull. This "pulmonary pain" then disappereared within the next 1 hour step by step.

Is that normal/dangerous? What counld be the reason, what can I do against it.

You should know, that I´m also suffering from mild allergic asthma (presently no acute exacerbations). Could this be the source of pain???
Is there a risk that the "intubation overpressure" is pressing bronchial mucus into my lungs (blockage of the mucus solution)?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance from Germany

Wolf
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulmonary Pain under BiPap
Well you already know it is not your heart. If you had a problem with your lungs, I think you would already know about it.

CPAP causes you to breathe differently and deeper. It uses muscles that we are not used to using and they will let us know about it for a while. I have hear that even with CPAP on the highest pressure it is still much less that a scuba diver experiences.

I would suggest to give it a while to get your muscles back in shape and get used to the new breathing environment
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WJKWJK,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, and better luck to you the second time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wolf,

if this is the beginning of your compliancy, it might be just adjustment syndrome and will subside after a while. Asthma sufferers find at the beginning that their symptoms are exacerbated, particularly if the air inflow is dry, so correct humidification is important. However, if the symptoms persist, you should talk to your doc, and have it looked into. It may be something else altogether, but the CPAP usage unmasks it and makes it more evident.

There is no possibility of over pressure in terms of your lungs, but yes, mucous from the nose is pushed into the lungs to some extent, but not radically more than normal, just more rapidly and with greater regularity. The lungs adjust, and it shouldn't be a major concern and certainly will not exacerbate asthma.

Veil Glück.

W.
Post Reply Post Reply
WJKWJK,
Sometimes when we're new to therapy, we tend to breath too hard or too fast. This causes us to over use muscles in the chest area and cause a lot of soreness the next day. This is usually due to anxiety.

This is your second attempt at CPAP, and I understand that is takes time for some to adapt.

Try to keep the same routine before bed. You can also try using machine and mask while sitting in a chair or sofa reading or watching tv, just to get used to the feel of it.

Try to relax and breath as normally as possible. Eventually it will second nature. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been on CPAP for > decade. Can't say as I've ever experienced any pain from it. And it certainly hasn't interfered with my mucus production. I sorta gotta rule since I've gotten alittle older. . .If I feel pain. . .I go see my PCP. Last time I didn't I spent a month in the hospital. JMHO

Good Luck,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.