Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Pulse Oximeter CMS-50D+
RE: Pulse Oximeter CMS-50D+
b36, you indicate the driver installed correctly. I would go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager, and look for the oximeter listing (don't have one, so I don't know how it will appear in device manager, but if there is a driver, it should appear there somewhere). If you don't find it, go to View, and select Show Hidden Devices. When you do find the item, right click, and select Properties. While that will tell you whether or not the system thinks the device is working properly or not, it does occasionally lie. In cases where I suspect driver problems, I make sure the device is not physically attached to the computer. Then I select Uninstall, do a reboot, and then reconnect whatever was using that driver. Win7 should automatically find the device and load the appropriate driver. If it doesn't, and you can't find the item in the list, you can select any remaining device, again right click, and select Scan for Hardware Changes. This will make the computer look for the oximeter, and since it did it previously, it will likely find it and THEN load the driver.

Hope this helps.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2012, 08:05 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: By doing that, you're basically becoming a beta-tester for their updates. On my PCs that run Windows I always wait at least a week or two after an update is released before I download and install it. That way, if there's something wrong with the update, other people will have discovered it and Microsoft will fix the issue prior to me downloading it. I let other people do Microsoft's beta-testing for me.

While I agree wholeheartedly, I can't always do that, since I have a spouse and others who DO NOT REMEMBER to update anything on their machines. I therefore am charged with doing so, or dealing with the consequences - either on my wife's computer, or my childrens' as they bring their laptops in for service, (or, as otherwise called, a visit with Mom and Dad in which the computer happens to be both brought and brought up!) At least most of the children, as I can exclude the one with the computer science degree. For that reason, I leave the automatic updates "on" for them - and then deal with the trouble which that occasionally brings. I only pursue your course on my own computer. And as to my wife's machine, since we are on a "trusted" network, I don't want to run the risk of a bad download infecting my machine, or the NAS, due to a neglected security update.

And as I insist onl a specific antivirus and firewall software on all machines for which I have responsibility (at least the software firewalls on laptops), and that program complains vigorously when ALL updates are not timely installed, I get less issues that way from my users. :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all that responded. Thanks Nothing I was trying as far as troubleshooting was working so I ended up going into the Control Panel and uninstalled the SpO2 and Silicon Labs Driver programs and started back from scratch. Went back to Supplier #19's website and downloaded the SpO2 software again, plugged in my pulse oximeter and voila, the computer found and installed the driver and everything appears to be working normally again!!! BananaAmazingWay-to-happy
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow... cool. Glad it's working again.

Bouncy
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2012, 08:10 PM)b360155 Wrote: Went back to Supplier #19's website and downloaded the SpO2 software again, plugged in my pulse oximeter and voila, the computer found and installed the driver and everything appears to be working normally again!!! BananaAmazingWay-to-happy

I see your using the KISS princilpe again B36 Wink
Good to see you got it all sorted out!!
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I'm a happy camper again! Great little gadget...very informative! Amazing Glad I listened to you all and made the investment. Thanks
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Revised review:
Wow! I took a day off the forum and missed this! I also am having issues -- but I don't think mine is necessarily due to the Windows update. I will put in my two bits: Always keep your computer up to date!!! I see absolutely no reason not to keep your computer up to the latest security updates unless you never connect to the web or share data with anyone (on a USB flash drive for example). That obviously does not apply here. I choose to download automatically and install manually ONLY because I don't like to have to reboot in the middle of an important task, but I certainly do not delay for more than an hour to install updates. Yes, there can be compatibility problems on rare occasions, but usually from poorly written apps that should probably be updated themselves.

CMS 50D+ worked fine for about a week, then for two days in a row I have not been able to download any data (yesterday I accidentally deleted the data before downloading (when I first wake up my Click and Press reaction time is a bit sluggish)) so this morning, I was VERY careful NOT to change anything - I actually left the oximeter running and recording off my finger until I was fully awake and at my computer ready to download data. I had a taped note on my oximeter "Tap, Don't Hold!". But by then, my AA rechargeable batteries (which had been indicating "Lo battery" when I woke up, had apparently forced a shut down. I connected to Windows XP USB anyway and carefully navigated to the correct screen. Recording was now OFF even though I had not turned it off. Not sure why, unless low battery stops recording automatically. In any case, started up Sp02 review and it said "Device connected, waiting for data..." as usual, then the red text disappeared but no data download progress or data appeared. I tried again. Same thing. I put in fresh batteries. Same thing. I connected to Windows 7 computer - same thing (detected computer, attempted to download very quickly and finished with no data except default blip dot at one second).

SOOOO....either I have B36's driver problem. Or I have lost data AGAIN due to low battery shut down (or more likely, during turning on again after low battery shut down, depending on how this ridiculous interface is designed (did I mention I HATE one button navigation that can erase entire night's data if you linger on that button too long).

I am not a geriatric with poor reflexes, in fact I play a keyboard musical instrument. I also am technically above average and can program computers. But this device has me so angry now I am going to buy something else. I noticed the upgraded model might have a screen that allows data uploading by the 'push' method (from oximeter) vs. the 'pull' (from computer) method but that looks like it could even be worse.

I would love to see a device that allows one to access the data in the same way one can access any USB drive. Is there any way to access the memory on this Contec piece of junk directly? Is there any way to access deleted memory (I'm guessing my last night's data is on the drive, just renamed and likely never accessible again).

My current working hypothesis is that something about the device turning on automatically when plugged into USB or with the "ON" button held, caused a brief Recording -> Off, Recording -> On, Recording -> Off cycle, destroying all data.

PS: this was my first night with the Resmed S9 Autoset (in 6cm H20 CPAP mode) so I am doubly upset.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the batteries run out, it will automatically turn the recording off. If you put in new batteries, the recording is still there. The batteries must be full and the device on before the software will see it. And, of course, if you turn on record again, it will erase the previous data.

I have a problem with mine where it is turning off even with full batteries. It is somewhere in the battery connection because if I take off the battery compartment door, roll the batteries, and put it back on, it will work again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2012, 12:29 PM)SlightlySleepy Wrote: ... on this Contec piece of junk directly?

There is an old saying that you get what you pay for. If this discounted and non-medical rated device doesn't suit your particular wants or needs, look into Nonin. They have several models which will perform as you appear to want - they simply cost more. The CMS line is for those not expecting the highest quality for the cheapest price, but looking simply for a workable solution at a reasonable price.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2012, 12:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If the batteries run out, it will automatically turn the recording off. If you put in new batteries, the recording is still there. The batteries must be full and the device on before the software will see it. And, of course, if you turn on record again, it will erase the previous data.

Yes, but there's the rub. How does one turn it back on again without erasing the data (one must hold the 'single' button long enough for it to turn on, which apparently also starts the recording again since it was in recording mode when batteries went out. By the way, batteries were lo, not completely dead when I plugged it into USB -- it was only after attempting to download data (unsuccessfully) that I noticed the device had turned off completely. I turned it back on briefly before replacing the batteries.

(05-12-2012, 12:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have a problem with mine where it is turning off even with full batteries. It is somewhere in the battery connection because if I take off the battery compartment door, roll the batteries, and put it back on, it will work again.

This usually happens in consumer electronic devices only when batteries are marginal (I think of it as not enough voltage to get past the contact resistance). For some reason, I can barely get a full night out of these NiMH rechargeable batteries. Apparently this device is underpowered - perhaps 2 AA or 3 AAA would have been better than 2AA (which were chosen obviously for their small form factor, not practicality). I always place newly charged batteries in just before I go to bed. It's possible that the batteries are faulty, but up until now I have not had a problem with this brand of battery (Energizer NiMH charged all day in an Energizer NiMH charger set to the NiMH setting)

(05-12-2012, 01:17 PM)JumpStart Wrote: ...There is an old saying that you get what you pay for. If this discounted and non-medical rated device doesn't suit your particular wants or needs, look into Nonin. They have several models which will perform as you appear to want - they simply cost more. The CMS line is for those not expecting the highest quality for the cheapest price, but looking simply for a workable solution at a reasonable price.

True, but when I read the reviews that this was "Ford" not a Rolls Royce, and that it would get me there, but didn't have a lot of fancy features, I thought "Aha, that's exactly what I like -- best value for money". However, losing critical irreplaceable data two nights in a row due to poor interface and/or power design is unacceptable to me.

I am writing this for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested in knowing exactly what features they are giving up, namely usability with reliability consequences.

Obviously a lot of people are happy with this device and I think it probably serves a need, however I'm not sure I would buy it again knowing what I know now. I will look into the Nonin. I also looked at the CMS-60D which is larger, bulkier, and uses same software but has 5 buttons on the front (Wow! what a concept!) but I don't see any button for 'enter' or 'accept' which is a crucial user interface function (it only has on and 4 navigational buttons, so presumably it has the same lame-brain 'click for navigate, 'press' for accepting user interface metaphor.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] O2 Ring Oximeter ejbpesca 0 337 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  [Product Review] Wellue SleepU Wrist Pulse Oximeter Crimson Nape 21 6,541 01-18-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: kappa
  [Product Review] Contec CMS 50I Pulse Oximeter drmaestro 1 2,906 09-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
Thumbsup [Product Review] CMS50F Pulse Oximeter (USB, no bluetooth) Peter_C 21 16,014 09-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Big Guy 5 2,679 02-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Thumbsup [Product Review] Jumper JPD-500F Wireless Bluetooth Finger Pulse Oximeter vivaldi 0 4,078 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Last Post: vivaldi
Thumbsup [Product Review] CONTEC PM60A Handheld Oximeter Pulse Monitor RWS0022 0 4,831 06-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Last Post: RWS0022

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.