Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse Oximeter Data
Pulse Oximeter Data
I hope I’m not off subject here. I originally joined Apnea Board to better understand the effects of my wife’s apnea and her CPAP machine on her overall health. I have used OSCAR to adjust here CPAP settings. I recently bought a CMS50F pulse oximeter to see how her apnea affected here oxygen levels. Not wanting to hook her up to more equipment than was necessary until I understood how to use the oximeter, I used it on myself. I assumed I would provide a good baseline.

That didn’t seem to be the case. I’ve recorded myself several times with the oximeter and it’s accompanying software, “Smart Device Assistant”. The first attached image shows an oximeter report from last night. I expected to see a result as in the circled region at 2AM. Instead a see a lot of wildly oscillating SpO2% as seen around midnight. The summary says I spent almost an hour at less than 88%.

The second image is a expanded 30-minute segment at midnight. My SpO2 is going between 76% and 98% about every 45 seconds. By daytime I can create a similar response by holding my breath for 1 minute and then hyperventilating but I am exhausted after doing this only 2-3 times, not for an hour

I never thought of myself as a candidate for CPAP; no daytime tiredness, no arrhythmia. My doctor said he would order a sleep study. He said most patients come in the opposite direction: they have symptoms and he pursues data. I don’t seem to have any symptoms. He hasn’t told me if I’m at risk for anything. I will follow through with the sleep study. I know you don’t hand out medical opinions here; but what are the possible causes and dangers (if any) of such periodic breathing? Could it be an oximeter malfunction? Is such oximeter behavior common?

Thanks,

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse Oximeter Data
I have been on 02 24/7 for about 5 years.  My hose is hooked up to the cpap machine and I get oxygen all night at 4 liters.  I have no medical degree but I thought I would share my O2 graph and summary with you.  I have the same cms50f and use it about once a month to see if there is any problems.  The thing that I notice is the "spiking" of your readings.  I am using spO2 assistant that came with my cms50f.  It appears to be a different app so that could be a reason for the look of it.  Notice that I don't have spikes the one extremely low reading was when the probe came off my finger and the other (not quite as bad) came I went to the bathroom and did not have Oxygen with me - it remained hooked to the cpap.

Again, I don't know if this helps but mine does look different than your graph.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm suspicious of SpO2 graphs that don't show trends but constantly bounce up and down like that. It looks like a poor fit or signal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CMS50F is a wrist based pulse-oximeter... it's extremely likely it wasn't fitted properly as those graphs are highly unusual. At the very least you want to be measuring with a finger-probe, I recommend the Viatom devices which are less bulty than the Contecs, but be aware the results are only for guidance with any of these finger toys.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2021, 06:02 AM)chrisj Wrote: CMS50F is a wrist based pulse-oximeter... it's extremely likely it wasn't fitted properly as those graphs are highly unusual.   At the very least you want to be measuring with a finger-probe, I recommend the Viatom devices which are less bulty than the Contecs, but be aware the results are only for guidance with any of these finger toys.

This oximeter does have a finger sensor. I have one. 

[Image: 0?ui=2&ik=bb2358758a&attid=0.1.1&permmsg...o&disp=emb]
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah yes,  so it does - sorry got mixed up.   Those readings are still incredibly dubious though, not seen any quite that sporadic before!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2021, 10:34 AM)chrisj Wrote: Ah yes,  so it does - sorry got mixed up.   Those readings are still incredibly dubious though, not seen any quite that sporadic before!

It does look odd to me too. I suspect the finger sensor was loose, or off at some point and not giving the proper info. 
The way it attaches is kinda sketchy, but all in all, I think it gives me pretty good readings.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
And you're absolutely sure you weren't on the vomit-comet at the time?  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

If data are corrects (what I doubt) that seem to be cheyne stoke breathing. The easier way is a sleep study with labs systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed and a few O2 oximeters (not connected). Its very hard to get a good reading with a wrist, rings device.  I use the;

EMAY Sleep Oxygen Monitor with App for iPhone & Android | Track Overnight & Continuous Blood Oxygen Saturation Level & Heart Rate with Professional Report | Memory Stores Data Up to 40 Hours.

Its around $60 but used to have a 1/2 off coupon for a new one (not sure if that's still the case), which I got and gave to one on my kids.

Its a great check against any machine and there are not that many "finger" O2 sensors that track and are relatively cheap.  Its not perfect, but I think its great for the price and you can now export the data into Excel (that's new and I never did it with the one I got 2 years back). But the phone app gives great charts and for most people that's all they need.

Good luck and take care.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,839 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 230 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.