Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse Oximeter Data
RE: Pulse Oximeter Data
Hi,

I would like to recommend a relatively new device - "Masimo Sleep". It is expensive ($80) and can be used only for 7 nights. However, it is based on their medical device and is very accurate. I also have the said CMS device and was never comfortable with its results.
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Arik Wrote: Hi,

I would like to recommend a relatively new device - "Masimo Sleep". It is expensive ($80) and can be used only for 7 nights. However, it is based on their medical device and is very accurate. I also have the said CMS device and was never comfortable with its results.
Arik

Hmm, that looks like a great little device actually.   I assume it's using RRp (respiration rate from the pleth).   I use a Masimo Radical 7 with their adhesive finger sensors and it's really accurate (as you'd expect from hospital equipment!) - had a MightySat Rx a while back too and that was decent.

The one you've posted I've not seen before but looks like a fantastic solution being an adhesive sensor with just a lightweight wrist bracelet - would be interested to see if their app permits CSV output or similar though so it could be converted for OSCAR/SH.

There's always the CONTEC RS01 too which has a nasal canular for flow rate (much more info than simple RRp as obviously you get the peak flow values too), you can get it for under $100 now.. I've got one currently on its way to me so will test it for accuracy against the Masimo Radical and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
chrisj - I'm curious. How do you use the Contec RS01's nasal cannula's probe with your CPAP's mask, since they both occupy the same area near the nose?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 12:29 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: chrisj - I'm curious.  How do you use the Contec RS01's nasal cannula's probe with your CPAP's mask, since they both occupy the same area near the nose?

You wouldn't use the canular with CPAP... there'd be no point in any additonal respiraiton rate / flow data anyway given most CPAP machines provide this.

It would however give diagnostic data with no additional pressure support present (most modern CPAPs are 4cmH2O min) therefore providing some insight into whether flow is related to oxygen desats while not under therapy.  Without an effort belt too you wouldn't be able to dertermine whether events are central.  The point was, anyone using the Masimo Sleep who is doing so in part as they are interested in the RRp are likely also not using CPAP, and in this paritcular case the RS01 will give more useful data.  Or, spend waaaaaay more on an ApneaLink Air or similar for the best best thing to a lab study  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The concept of limited use items like this or only renting Microsoft office for a subscription was designed by Steven King and should be avoided at all costs. I think its truly a terrible concept.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 02:01 PM)tomlaheyh Wrote: The concept of limited use items like this or only renting Microsoft office for a subscription was designed by Steven King and should be avoided at all costs. I think its truly a terrible concept.

Actually, adhesive sensors give the best results for a reason - they stay in close contact with the finger during movement overnight, and unlike reusable sensors don't apply pressure which itself can affect readings.  I've found them to be amazing and never give artifacts or false readings outside of tolerance.

The ones I use are about $3 each and last for a week - they really are the best for sleep studies, and if only being used to assist titration they only require limited use anyway.

I also have 2 of the permanently reusable probes and they don't even get a lookin for this reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thanks great I had no idea. Where can I buy the $3 sensors and how can I use them to record overnight?

Any help is appreciated!
Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 05:02 PM)tomlaheyh Wrote: Wow thanks great I had no idea. Where can I buy the $3 sensors and how can I use them to record overnight?

Any help is appreciated!
Tom

That's the Masimo sensors - you need to bulk buy for that price and also need a compatible Masimo pulse co-oximiter of course which would run you at least a few hundred on eBay. 

If recording often it starts to make sense, if just for titration / initial data collecting purposes the Masimo Sleep looks very well priced IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,477 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 665 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,045 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,577 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 137 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 183 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 249 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.