Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse ox vs Sleep study
Pulse ox vs Sleep study
Greetings all,

I am currently having several ongoing issues, occasional racing heartbeats, tremors, headaches, weird dreams, snoring, wife swears I stop breathing at times and I’ve even woke up a few times short of breath and now my palette is weakening. I know all of these things can be symptoms of sleep apnea but I have had two over night pulse ox tests from my doctor but they both came back in the 90’s
My question is this: 
Is it possible to have SA and have a good pulse ox? Should I request a sleep study to be sure? Are they more accurate?
Thanks for any info, I’d love to figure out all the issues I’ve been having.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse ox vs Sleep study
HI RocketKing  -  Welcome

The short answer is, "yes".   My initial sleep test returned an AHI of 93 and my lowest SpO2 level was 94%.  A low SpO2 level is just one indicator.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 08:04 PM)RocketKing Wrote: Greetings all,

I am currently having several ongoing issues, occasional racing heartbeats, tremors, headaches, weird dreams, snoring, wife swears I stop breathing at times and I’ve even woke up a few times short of breath and now my palette is weakening. I know all of these things can be symptoms of sleep apnea but I have had two over night pulse ox tests from my doctor but they both came back in the 90’s
My question is this: 
Is it possible to have SA and have a good pulse ox? Should I request a sleep study to be sure? Are they more accurate?
Thanks for any info, I’d love to figure out all the issues I’ve been having.

Doesn't mean anything. I never went under 90% because most of my events were hypopneas and not full apneas. A drop of 3% is enough to count as an event. If your normal sleep level is 95%, you'll still be over 90% after a 3% drop like I was.

If you are waking up short of breath in the middle of the night, I would definitely get a sleep study done.  That's a red flag for sleep apnea. They will be able to tell you if you are trying to breath but no air is coming in. The worst that can happen is that you don't have it (which isn't that bad Smile ). But having sleep apnea and not treating it, should not be an option. Sleep apnea can lead to some serious health issues if you don't take care of it so better be safe than sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the others said. Some people, their blood O2 drops like a rock during or after an event. Other people, it doesn't drop much at all.

A sleep study is your best option.

Either that or arranging the loan of an auto-PAP and letting it titrate you. If, after a week or so, it detects nothing, then there you go.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 09:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What the others said. Some people, their blood O2 drops like a rock during or after an event. Other people, it doesn't drop much at all.

A sleep study is your best option.

Either that or arranging the loan of an auto-PAP and letting it titrate you. If, after a week or so, it detects nothing, then there you go.

Thank you for all the help, can you give me more information on where I could find a machine and what kind?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,221 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.